Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonny's 2cm "Micro Slayer Exciter"---replicated

@Jonny, Slayer, and All
    I replicated the 2 centimeter micro Slayer Exciter today. Winding that super fine wire was not all that bad and the build went well. Jonny It worked right away and would slightly light up an FL on 1.5 volts. When I tried 3 volts it really performed well and I made a video of it. Slayer I put that variable pf cap that you have been using between the output of the secondary and the negative rail and it worked great there. I don't know why that position worked so well but it did. At the output I attached my Dr. Stiffler SEC tower with the 27 Leds in series and it lit that up super bright. That setup made a strong excited field around the circuit. All that out of the tiny coil.

Thanks Jonny!

YouTube - Jonny's 2cm Micro Slayer Exciter.ASF

Cheers,

Lidmotor
    Last edited by Lidmotor; 03-23-2011, 04:54 AM.

Comment

• Replication of jonnydavro and Slayer circuit variation

@jonnydavro and Slayer,
      I have replicated the mini ferrite circuit with some slight modifications. A MPSA06 was used. A 0~500pF VC was across the Vcc and ground. The other variable cap was across the L2 pancake coil. L1b coil cannot light a CFL, so I hooked the coil to a 20pF cap to resonate. L1a is connected to an AV plug of 16 LEDs. There is a 1nF cap connected from the Base of MPSA06 to one leg of L1a. working Frequency of the circuit is around 1.77MHz.
      The circuit consumes 56mA at 6VDC (4 x 1.5V AA bat). The leds were taken out from a camp lamp.
      Thanks jonny and Slayer for the circuits.
      I enjoyed experimenting with this project.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by aaron5120; 03-23-2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• Xee2 circuit replicated

Hi @all,
        Xee2 had posted a circuit using a stock transformer to light CFLs.
        I tried the trafo Xee2 used, and also another one smaller, the Tamura Microtran 3FD-210 which also worked.
        Here are the photos I took with both variation lighting a 5W CFL. One can get 60 to 70% brightness with 12V at 100mA. I tried a 20W one also, but it is dimmer.
        The input voltage is 12V and 6V respectively for the big one and the smaller 3FD.
        Smaller trafo saturates easily when I increase the input voltage to 12V, and current consumption shot up.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Lidmotor View Post
          @Jonny, Slayer, and All
          I replicated the 2 centimeter micro Slayer Exciter today. Winding that super fine wire was not all that bad and the build went well. Jonny It worked right away and would slightly light up an FL on 1.5 volts. When I tried 3 volts it really performed well and I made a video of it. Slayer I put that variable pf cap that you have been using between the output of the secondary and the negative rail and it worked great there. I don't know why that position worked so well but it did. At the output I attached my Dr. Stiffler SEC tower with the 27 Leds in series and it lit that up super bright. That setup made a strong excited field around the circuit. All that out of the tiny coil.

Thanks Jonny!

YouTube - Jonny's 2cm Micro Slayer Exciter.ASF

Cheers,

Lidmotor
          Great stuff mate. What is the output of L2 connected to? I think that is where I'm having probes. I've tried the foil baking dishes on the floor etc i will get a varicap tmrw but is your l2 just plugged into the breadboard?
          Stew Art Media

Comment

• @Lidmotor.Thanks for the vid .I must say,you were the inspiration for the micro exciter with your earlier ferrite cored slayer exciter,I just miniturised it to a point where it would not work without the ferrite.This is why this thread has been so successful and we should all be proud of the collaboration which has gone on here between free sharing experimenters and this has pushed us all on and lead to the development of these fantatic circuits.This realy is a team effort and i can't wait to see what we will find next .
            Regarding yor micro exciter.You should have been a surgeon,you may have been .That coil is the smallest yet as it is thinner than the pencil in your vid.This could actually become a standalone component and with the use of smd components,maybe a slayer module.I wonder if we could use one as a substitute for the transformer in a fuji camera to flash the xenon flash?
            The rf field from your micro exciter looks really strong and I have not seen a capasitor used from output to ground like that but it seems to work great and I will try it.
            Are you up for trying a 1cm coil?I am pretty sure it will work.
            Thanks for trying the wall adapter exciter.I think this works on some kind of ac ripple resonance and I am pretty sure it is part specific which I try to avoid as it makes replication difficult but sometimes it can't be avoided and without the large 10uh choke,it won't work.I have a spare which I could send if you like.Here is the specs.
            EPCOS|B82133A5302M|INDUCTOR, AXIAL, 10UH | Farnell United Kingdom
            The different voltage in the US may also be a problem but I wish I had a scope and new how to use it and we may identify what is going on here but by adding the cap and the variable resistor,really stabilised things to a point where it could be built into the adapter so you have another switch setting for hv as its lighting neons now.Many thanks.Jonny
            @arron.Thanks for trying this and sharing your results .That is a very nice,neat build and you have tried a few different things with the cap and L1b.Can you light a cfl with L1a?Thanks for sharing and your Xee2 circuit replication is most interesting too.Cheers.Jonny
            @Jimboot.Hi.Have you got your mini exciter going now,if so how does it perform?If not,can you possibly post a picture of your setup with connections labeled and maybe we can spot something amiss which will get you going.Jonny.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonnydavro View Post
              @Jimboot.Hi.Have you got your mini exciter going now,if so how does it perform?If not,can you possibly post a picture of your setup with connections labeled and maybe we can spot something amiss which will get you going.Jonny.
              Ok will do thanks Johnny love your vids. Hoping you don't follow the cricket
              Stew Art Media

Comment

• Ok I'm using @johhnydarvo last mini slayer circuit. The resistor is 22k. I'm using the MPSA06 the L2 coil is 2cm (3/4") the wire is out of a rechargable torch and extremely fine. I'd say 0.2mm
                On a 1.5v battery the I'm reading about 0.5v on the output of the secondary.
                pix below. Any help greatly appreciated. I'm simply pluging output of l2 into the breadboard. I've tried 'earthing' it on foil baking dishes but still cn't get the led in the circuit to glow.

Last edited by jimboot; 03-23-2011, 11:12 AM.
                Stew Art Media

Comment

• Originally posted by jimboot View Post
                  Ok I'm using @johhnydarvo last mini slayer circuit. The resistor is 22k. I'm using the MPSA06 the L2 coil is 2cm (3/4") the wire is out of a rechargable torch and extremely fine. I'd say 0.2mm
                  On a 1.5v battery the I'm reading about 0.5v on the output of the secondary.
                  pix below. Any help greatly appreciated. I'm simply pluging output of l2 into the breadboard. I've tried 'earthing' it on foil baking dishes but still cn't get the led in the circuit to glow.

Hello Jimboot.

Have you tried tunning your exciter with a piece of ferrite?

Also try a small cap across your power source something 470pf.If you have a varcap around 0-512pf that will work better yet.
                  And can also be used to tune your exciter.

With my setup I don't use the ferriter but I use the varcap across the power source for tunning.

You may need to try running it on a higher voltage also try 6v-12v.

@ Aaron5120

Great job with your exciter and thanks for posting your results.

@ lidmotor

Great video lidmotor.

Have you tried your scope on the small exciters?

Using the varcap without the ferrite my setup runs 20+ MHZ.
                  With the ferrite for tunning it runs around 5-6 MHZ.

Comment

• Scope shot and frequency

@Slayer
                    The ones that I just built run in the low megahertz range like yours but a little lower (1 to 10). Here is what it looks like:

YouTube - Scope shots of Micro Slayer Exciter.ASF

@Jimboot
                    You may not have enough turns on that coil. Mine will not work either without the ferrite core on this small a scale. Also try putting the blue wire (primary) in the middle of your secondary coil and bunch the two loops together.

@Jonny
                    Thanks for the offer to send me that choke but I think that I can track one down locally. I really don't understand what is going on with these exciter circuits but they are great fun to build.

Lidmotor
                    Last edited by Lidmotor; 03-23-2011, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• @Jimboot.Thanks for posting those pics,that helps a lot.
                      First,you need to have a piece of ferrite inserted into the L1 coil which is the 2cm one.It will not work without it.
                      I think you have the led the wrong way round.Can you check that the anode is on the emitter and the flat cathode on the base.
                      Check with your multimeter with the battery removed from the circuit for continuity from the open output end of the 2cm coil to the base of the transistor.You may have a bad connection as the varnish on the wire can cause problems.
                      Leave the output end of the 2cm coil free.Don't plug it in the breadboard.
                      Make sure your resistor is 22k.Check it with your meter.
                      Check the transistor is ok
                      I take it that the white wire in hole 1 is the battery negative and the green croc lead in hole 5,the positive.
                      The blue wire in line 5 is one end of your L2 coil and the blue wire going to the transistor pin in row3 is the other end of your L2.If this is so then this part is ok but you can try reversing these connections as this can stop it working.
                      Do you have an av plug led detector for seeing if there is an rf field?
                      Work through the above and i am sure you will get it going but let us know how you get on and one other thing,I can't stand cricket .Jonny
                      Last edited by jonnydavro; 03-24-2011, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• thanks a bunch @lidmotor @slayer007 & @johnnydarvo I should have shown a pic with ferrite core. The core is 100mm (4") so I'm wondering if the extra mass relative to L2 is having adverse effects. I'm wondering if I should cut it to say 3cm. Also my av plug is using the wrong diodes. I'm just using some schottkys instead of 4148s but I didn't think there wd be an rf field until my in circuit led lit. Ive tested continuity a a lot! It's fine as well as moving the primary all over L2. I'll dbl check my led and I've also reversed the L1 connections a couple of times and the current setup gives me a stable waveform. If swtiched the waveform is all over the place when measuring across the coils.
                        Thanks again. Johnny re cricket. Phew!
                        Stew Art Media

Comment

• Micro Slayer Replication 3cm & 1.5 cm coil@ 12 v

Hi to all
                          Ive just replicated Lidmotors jonnys and Gbluer micro set up using 12 v dc supply
                          coil in a ferrite rod 3 cm and a 1.5 cm ferrite bead from a pc power supply

Great output load 1 8w fl lamp and 40 leds in parallel 12 v dc
                          3 cm coil 90 to 120 ma output
                          1.5 cm coil 50 mA output
                          ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
                          ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

thanks again

totoalas

Comment

• Hi.Here is a vid which looks into how my adapter exciter works.I believe the transistor is switched due to ripple voltage or sinewave inputs including AC.
                            YouTube - Adapter exciter update and how it works
                            @totoalas.Very nice.These micro exciters could benifit the UV water sterilisation project and make them fit on a keyring with a UV diode.Thanks for sharing your results.Jonny

Comment

• Hi.I was doing some run tests with the 9cm mini ferrite slayer exciter using a 1.5v battery and the circuit stopped oscillating at 160mv.
                              I then swapped the battery for a supercap with 0.3v in and the circuit would not start as it needs at least 550mv to start normally but I then had a happy accident when I switched a wall adapter on and the circuit started by what I think must be an electromagnetic pulse.I then tried a piezo crystal gas lighter and that works and starts the circuit when clicked in the vicinity of the L1 coil so this method will allow us to use batteries under 550mv that would normally be thrown away.
                              Here is a vid of the experiment.The led is the indicator led from emitter to base and the L1 output is open.Jonny
                              YouTube - Starting a ferrite slayer exciter on under 550mv

Comment

• Slayer Remote Switch

Hi Jonny
                                micro slayer UV led in a ring thats a good idea!!!!!!!!
                                Better still is your new remote switch
                                for Wireless Slayer

totoalas

Comment

Working...
                                X