Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Slider2732 View Post
    ...and now things are much better
    I cut a foam cup in half and joined them end upon end, to form a speaker surround. The audio is much improved.
    It now has sound to light too, in the form of an energy saver bulb that flashes to the beats.
    Music is Kraftwerk - Pocket Calculator

YouTube - Micro plasma tower plays Kraftwerk
    Heheh. Where is the audio coming from? Is it actually coming off the coil itself? Do you detect it vibrating?
    Stew Art Media

Comment

• @ Slider2732

I found a 2N7000 and it works but does not produce plasma for me. I tried duplicating your L2 coil as close as possible. Please post your L1 coil resistance if you can. That may allow me to work out what size wire you are using. That is the only difference I can think of between our circuits.

Comment

• @Jim - The music comes from the plasma
        It is THE most head messing thing and has to be experienced !
        In an electrical storm, the thunder sound is, I believe, the ripping through the air by the lightning. What we're doing is akin to frequency modulating continuous lightning ! Some rigs are so loud with such audio as to be uncomfortable to listen to...here's a great demo of what happens when scaled up:
        YouTube - Zelda played on Twin Musical Tesla coils
        On top now is a diode, a random bigger short wire, to widen the plasma punch. However, for giggles you may say, the diode is connected backwards...the plasma still leaps through it.
        Here's a little story that also created a mind wrap inside out and back to front - ya know the talking that didn't really go too well on the first video ? (better in person) I got the voice from a language translations website and the one that worked best for a short sentence was called Jennifer. On finding that out, I wrote out the somewhat HAL type speech, then after some time changed the voice to different ones...well, it wasn't the same, was like an imitation of the 'personality' the coil had taken on, inefficiencies and all !
        My wife said I have to get out more lol

@xee2 - agh, hmm, I have very little test equipment. Most of everything is done through trial and error. Been very unlucky with meters from yard sales. The new meter I got from Radio Shack a couple of years back needed a 12V non standard battery for which I didn't have funds, so got used with a wall adapter..til it failed in a lightning storm. My Virtua Racing arcade machine got fried then, as did battery rechargers and even things that weren't plugged in to the wall. That was 2 years back and we're still finding things that now don't work!!! Tell ya though, the fizzz noise as the bolt struck right next to the house was incredible.
        The KN2222A is another alternative and as used on the speaker experiments (rubbish wired as Darlingtons though). A great all rounder and allows loose and messy primary winds of 2 or 3 turns for plasma. If you see my audio vids and where the coil is, it's just dropped down over the tower. The KN would seem to be superior to the 2N version of that transistor...if indeed they are related.
        I know about the 1ohm x2 sat on an analog needle meter though...if I did that, would it give decent enough results ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Slider2732 View Post
          I know about the 1ohm x2 sat on an analog needle meter though...if I did that, would it give decent enough results ?
          I knew you had limited working meters. I had hoped at least one was working. I do not think the analog meter will work. I will have to keep experimenting. Thanks for showing that it is possible.

PS - I have had the same problem with replacing batteries in meters. I finally bought a Radio Shack 22-813 meter which only needs three AA batteries (and they last years).
          Last edited by xee2; 04-28-2011, 10:10 PM.

Comment

• I'm really sorry that meter problems are how they are. I do need to fix that situ, so will look at them again today. The Radio Shack yellow one will come on, but flashes 0.0L and that's about it, it will only do that at a midway point between settings too. Could be of major benefit to me too, because if you find something out and I can replicate, we have confirmed data of whatever it is. Right now mostly people have different coils and much has to be in 'ballpark' language. Even the excellent Jonnydavro pop bottles will be somewhat different to each other.

To perhaps wet the appetite if you like the audio ability ideas of the Walgreen...
            Here we have the same tower and setup as other vids, with diode on the output replaced by a simple piece of thicker wire, playing the Star Wars Imperial March.
            Again, much stronger output than the last video

YouTube - Micro Tesla tower plays Star Wars Imperial March

Of interest because -
            It's a replication in a different way ! A YouTube video of a Tesla coil playing the tune was fed out to my tower. The original video is here: YouTube - Arcattack: Faraday Fun- Imperial March
            Last edited by Slider2732; 04-28-2011, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by totoalas View Post
              YouTube - radiant-energy

Replicators please

totoalas
              There is a new version with a how to at the end. YouTube - Mopozco's Channel

Comment

• Generotor

Originally posted by xee2 View Post
                There is a new version with a how to at the end. YouTube - Mopozco's Channel
                Thanks Xee2
                I need all the info i can get
                Slayer ... economically fit for the 3rd world great design
                This generotor can be ou thru this forum

cheers

totoalas

YouTube - Generotor 284011.avi

Comment

• Has anyone used 2 separate transformers tied together with the basic 1 transistor feedback design? Tie the secondaries together in series, and the the primary windings on the transformers are primary and feedback. Then you can experiment with putting the magnetic fields of the two transformers in aiding. bucking, or rotating orientations

Comment

• Hi.Here is a way to rectify high voltage using just a transistor.
                    It will step down the voltage and step up the current from a slayer exciter and use it to run a DC motor wirelessly.
                    The transistor is switched via an ariel which recieves rf energy from the L1 coil.Jonny
                    YouTube - Single transistor rectification of HV, HF AC

@Slider.You are on a roll manThe plasma speaker vids are amazing and something I have wanted to try for a long time but I can only get plasma with my pop bottle coil at 240mA with an mpsa06 and they don't last long at that draw so your high performance small coils are a must replication.Have you tried upping the voltage to see if the plama increases?
                    I wonder if it would work with my Bedini exciter?
                    I have also replicated the wireless phone charging but i want to do more tests regarding the charge the phone is actually getting.Jonny
                    @SuperCaviTationIstic.I have not heard of anyone linking transformers like that.Could be an interesting experimentJonny
                    Last edited by jonnydavro; 04-30-2011, 06:02 AM.

Comment

• Go jonny go !! go !!!! lol
                      This can run my rotor marvelous :
                      How about the last circuit on your video its application????

cheers

totoalas

Comment

• well after a month of procrastination i finally took pics of my slayer exciter and put it back together ya know. i show my mini slayer with the ferrite rod attached to a novelty garbage can and then a fluorescent tube is resting between it and a slinky happily lit up. apologies for the bag pictures my camera dosn't work well with no flash and thats the only way to see the lights

the battery is 8 rechargeable D cells in series to make about 12 volts but with how long ive been using it- im sure the voltage has dropped to significantly less. any way i have two neons lighting up off of some metal contacts on the battery terminals with two alligator leads just going off into space attached to the other ends of the neons. in the next pic i have 32 small red leds in series and an av plug connected to a piece of metal just sitting on the batteries with no electrical contact.

so yeah i know its a little dated but either way. side note i was able to run it without a ferrite rod but when it rand like that it was touchier and wouldn't light up a tube only av plugs but power consumption went down.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• @totoalas.Hi .Use the 2nd circuit to run the motor in the same way as in the vid.Just add a capasitor across the output and motor.
                          The efficient rectifier circuit spins the motor on less input to the slayer circuit than a bridge rectifier made from 4148 diodes but the single transistor rectifier will spin the motor on the least input to the slayer exciter.
                          If you try the efficient rectifier circuit.Make sure you use two 4148 diodes and one 5408 diodes.I have uploaded the circuit diagrams to my previous post for easier reference.Cheers.Jonny

Comment

• @Johnnydarvo luvyawork. I'll be trying that on one of my Rodin pulse motors.
                            Stew Art Media

Comment

• @slider I thought it may have been coming from the plasma but dared not hope. Great stuff
                              Stew Art Media

Comment

• Tons of posts since I last dropped in..always a good thing to see with established threads.
                                Wouldn't worry about dated thoughts ricksl, think how many millions of people have soldering irons and yet always flick a light switch on without thinking if they could light the light more efficiently

@Jonny, now that HV 5408 version has me thinking ! I have no clue what a 5408 looks like though. Being as that method must be lighter too than 4x1N4148's it's definitely to be tried. Skin effect on receiving coils is interesting, useful as a summer bug zapper maybe.
                                Also, the first pic is ideal for running a little fan that cools the circuit transistor perhaps.
                                I'm wary of building a bunch of circuitry that delivers exactly the same output as connecting the two wires of a wall adapter to the final load lol
                                As far as plasma goes for small transistors - 3V will produce it, 4.5V increases it, 6V is great, 7.5V increases audio fidelity but heats most transistors internally even with any large heatsink within 30 seconds, 9V shows a drop in output, 12V blows the transistor in short order.

Several things were worked through yesterday. They relate to plasma problems, being mindful of xee2's experiences.
                                Firstly, that no matter which tower I tried (all seen in past videos) the plasma output appeared to be no greater or less than the Walgreen with exactly the same circuit. The wireless field was extended, most probably due to size differences, but it would seem that the coil wire gauges pretty much equate and therefore give the same output of plasma. If thinner wire were used for a pop bottle, we'd lose the coherence of the field magnetically. Needless to say, a 22 gauge wound pill bottle still worked for LED's, but was dramatically cut in output power compared.
                                Secondly...the audio fidelity of the Walgreen AT musical tower was worked on. I'm putting together a PNP MegaTest like the NPN transistors, but stumbled on the 2SA966 while doing so. Plasma output is around 1" from this larger but same shaped transistor. Also, there are several dinky tiny 1/4 sized transistors that have phenomenal output, like the 2SB810. They're not far off SMD size and seem to be fine at 3.7V when superglued to a heatsink.

So, audio fidelity -
                                The multi-voltage wall adapter had a KBP206 rectifier and 2200uF 16V capacitor added to smooth the output (both found on a PC monitor circuitboard). The Ground lead from the PC speakers headphones socket had a 224K green bulb type capacitor added.
                                The Walgreen AT now sings opera right up to the highest of notes !

YouTube - Walgreen AT - the opera singing Tesla tower !!!
                                Last edited by Slider2732; 04-30-2011, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X