Joulethief SEC exciter and variants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably Nothin New Here?

Probably nothing new here, and if I've left out thanks, I apologize to whoever may have invented this - but - just a peek at how I set up my 21" 48V.
    Very experimental, a ways to go yet. Very high output. Not so terribly efficient mind you.

----------------------------------------------------
    Alberta is under attack... http://rethinkalberta.com/

Has anyone seen my Bedini Ceiling Fan that pushes the warm air down, and charges batteries as an added bonus? Me neither. 'Bout time I made one!!!!! :P

Comment

• Originally posted by kcarring View Post
      Probably nothing new here, and if I've left out thanks, I apologize to whoever may have invented this - but - just a peek at how I set up my 21" 48V.
      Very experimental, a ways to go yet. Very high output. Not so terribly efficient mind you.
      Looks like a Tesla coil. How well have you been able to get it to work? The disadvantage is that the frequency is set by generator. In the Slayer design the frequency automatically adjusts to the self resonant frequency of the coil which is the frequency for best performance.

Slayer MOSFET circuit >>>> xee2vids's Channel - YouTube
      Last edited by xee2; 01-18-2012, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by xee2 View Post
        Looks like a Tesla coil. How well have you been able to get it to work? The disadvantage is that the frequency is set by generator. In the Slayer design the frequency automatically adjusts to the self resonant frequency of the coil which is the frequency for best performance.

Slayer MOSFET circuit >>>> xee2vids's Channel - YouTube
        You could easily use a "lambda diode" circuit to get rid of the generator. That is very similar to the function of a spark gap in a Tesla coil, but you don't get the headaches the old-timers had to cope with when the only negative resistance devices available were spark gaps. And it doesn't need a tapped coil too. I posted some on this before:

Originally posted by lamare View Post
        What makes a negative resistance device so interesting for steering coils into resonance for applications in magnetic motors is that the current trough a practical negative resistance device, like a spark gap or lambda diode, is always positive! See for example the I-V curve of a typical lambda diode circuit:

Lambda diode

That means you can get a coil into a resonance mode where you have a superposition of a DC current and a complex AC wave going trough it, such that the magnetic field is directed into one direction. In other words: there are no areas in the coil where a reverse direction of the magentic field occurs. So, this DC offset is very important for the application of resonating coils in attracting/repelling motors. What happens is that besides the normal DC current going trough the coil, generating a magnetic field, you get additional wave-like impulses going trough the coil, which travel at a much greater speed than electrons (DC current), and therefore generate an extremely powerful magnetic field inside the coil, which you can harnass using magnetic attraction/repelling in a motor as well as by capturing the BEMF when allowing the magnetic field to collapse.

[...]

A modern implementation of a negative resistance device is a so-called lambda diode, actually a circuit consisting of two transistors:

Also see:
        Lambda diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Lambda diode
        Lambda Negative Resistance Dip Meter
        http://www.tuks.nl/pdf/Reference_Mat...%20Devices.pdf
        http://www.epanorama.net/sff/Compone...e%20device.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by xee2 View Post
          @xee2
          I think you pretty much summed it up / said it. Seems that when you stray too far from one thing, you end up somewhere else, and sometimes at the beginning, of that path... LOL It works, but not well, and not in resonance.

Sometimes I just go about hooking things up and seeing what happens, in this case trying to understand FETs a bit more.

But sometimes it's good just to test your own ability to put something together, you know? instead of just follow follow follow - trying tog et there, anyway...

This page, I now see, has some vastly improved methods, but, nonetheless, I am glad I managed to get what I did have, together, on my own.

@lamare
          Thank-you. All of your posts are extremely thought provoking to me. Sometimes over my head, other times within reach, like a rung on a ladder I am trying to reach, but could not find. I appreciate it. A lot.
          Switching Power Supply Schematics - page 8
          Last edited by kcarring; 01-18-2012, 09:26 PM.
          ----------------------------------------------------
          Alberta is under attack... http://rethinkalberta.com/

Has anyone seen my Bedini Ceiling Fan that pushes the warm air down, and charges batteries as an added bonus? Me neither. 'Bout time I made one!!!!! :P

Comment

• simple one wire circuit

Here is a simple one wire circuit. More info at >>> xee2vids's Channel - YouTube

Comment

• Air feedback exciter 2 - Low power plasma.

Hi .Here is an exciter circuit,based on my earlier air feedback exciter which seems to produce plasma efficiently.
              I have had plasma bursts and a cfl lighting under 1ma draw.
              It uses a 240vac/18vac step down transformer for the power supply,rectified with a small value smoothing cap as I think this circuit relies on a spikey supply to work.
              I am not to sure exactly what is going on with this one so any thoughts,advice is welcome.Jonny.
              Air feedback exciter 2 - low power plasma - YouTube

Comment

• woopy-way of lighting LED lamps

Hi woopy,

1)
                thank you for making you latest interesting and well explained videos about your exciter/kacher.
                flyback study with a Kacher 1 .wmv - YouTube
                and
                flyback study with kacher 2.wmv - YouTube

To me the interaction between the LED-bulbs and the coils around them is very intriguing.

2)
                It would be interesting to see, whether this also works, when only a simple LED is used instead of the Philips lamps.

If the effect does not appear with a simple LED, then somebody has to find out, what is in these bulbs, apart from the LED(s). Is it a capacitor?

What is in these lamps that creates the field which interacts so nicely with the coils you wound around the lamps?

3)
                It would be also interesting to find out (i.e. to scope) the Voltage between the "LED-coils" and the ground (or the antenna). Is it AC or DC?
                And if it is DC, which side is the positive potential? The ground/antenna or the coil?

4)
                I also wonder if it would be possible, to put a load into the ground-line (antenna-line). In other words to put a load between the "LED-coils" and the ground/antenna?
                Last edited by marxist; 02-05-2012, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• I was looking at linear/non linear aspect of spectral content.
                  I found this video helpful, for some here just a refresher.
                  @ 31:05 he turns down the power supply and the non-linearity starts to kick in.
                  I thought it might pertain to SEC when the threshold of semiconductor junction
                  approach the cut off point it is simular to when SEC set at the critical edge of threshold.
                  Tutorial on Linear and Non-linear Circuits - YouTube

Comment

• Hi all

surely also of interest here, the "sergdo " thread at OU

and my replication attempt

good luck at all

Laurent

Amazing light with low power toroid transformer 1.wmv - YouTube

Comment

• melting steel with a 10 watt torroid transformer

and for the interested

good luck at all

Laurent

Amazing melting with low power transformer 1.wmv - YouTube

Comment

• Originally posted by woopy View Post
                        and for the interested

good luck at all

Laurent

Amazing melting with low power transformer 1.wmv - YouTube
                        That is very impressive. The video has wires hanging in fromt of the schematic. Can you please add a schematic to your post.

Comment

• Hi Xee 2

Here a better pix of the setup.

What is very strange is that the circuit is shorted by the diodes ???

Sergdo uses 2 big diode, that's why i decided to serie 6 time 1n5408 per each side.

Just for info, this afternoon i wanted to increase the input voltage to improve the melting, and after some minutes. the secondary winding begin to arc inside, and i could only use very low voltage, So i decided to rewind the 2 secondaries with 0.4 mm copper wire. Now i have a DC resistor of 4 ohms on each secondary, and i can already melt at less than 9 volt.

Hope this help

good luck at all

Laurent
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here a better pix of the setup.
                            Laurent
                            Thanks. Is the following what you have? The diodes do not make any sense to me.

Or is it like this?

Last edited by xee2; 02-26-2012, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• I Xee2

i was sure you would do a very nice shematic as usual.

Yes your second shematic (the first shematic is not OK ) is OK, and this diode organisation is puzzeling

That's why i think there is probably a "shorting coil effect " in this system

which could perhaps explain the power effect

Thanks for going in

Laurent
                              Last edited by woopy; 02-26-2012, 09:40 PM. Reason: crossing info

Comment

Yes your second shematic
                                Thanks. I would think it would work just as well without the diodes. Did you ever try it without the diodes?

Comment

Working...
                                X