• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rave154 View Post
    I_ron..wow.great builds there
    Thanks rave, thing is Matt's work, mine don't, lol

Ron

Comment

YouTube - Bouncer2_2.MPG

This is probably what I am going to go with. Maybe a little tweaking to the setup.
      I'm going to start working on the motor to get it to speed up. The video for some reason makes the rhythm look choppy but it is pretty smooth and even, in person.

Cheers
      Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
        YouTube - Bouncer2_2.MPG

This is probably what I am going to go with. Maybe a little tweaking to the setup.
        I'm going to start working on the motor to get it to speed up. The video for some reason makes the rhythm look choppy but it is pretty smooth and even, in person.

Cheers
        Matt
        Yup, thet's runnin' sweet! You've got more than an inch of travel there?

That's doing pretty good for a small magnet rotor.

Ron

Comment

Nice job Matthew ! By the looks of the bounce torque it has you may be able to lever in a longer stroke for the linear alternator. For instance set your lever to provide a 2:1 or 3:1 movement... allowing the linear alternator more movement. Also, you might be able to put the springs on the lever instead of trying to control the mass at the source. Some of the dampening will come from the alternator anyway and the springs are basically used to store the kinetic as potental energy for the next revolution. If the alternator is designed right you won't need much spring and most of the energy will be transfered to the alternator.

Looks like a fun project ! I've been working on a motor I call the B1G1 ( buy one get one ) with lots of problems and I've been thinking the pendulum may help solve some of the problems.

Looking forward to watching your progression as it morphs into the final design....
          ________
          Avandia Lawsuit
          Last edited by dragon; 05-11-2011, 10:45 AM.

Comment

@Dragon You posted while I was writing this..

When I get the generator built it will work like this.

Flat Generator

The natural tendency for the center mass to align to center of the magnet field will help pull the mechanism down.

I can compenasate by adding more spring or less if needed.

I will also add the output from the Motor coil to the output of the generator in serial. So really the generator has to develop amperage and not much more. Although it will be based on a pulse not steady flow. Should work though.

Matt

Comment

MATT,

good stuff in bouncer 2.2 cant wait to see it when it has a generator on it

on the subject of that, if you do have a short travel, an inch or so, but of a very strong torque / thrust force...what is the best way to convert this to electrical via magnets and coils?...... very strong NEOS & thick windings?

can you explain your drive circuit that drives the rotor a little more, im a little confused about it.

Thanks,

David. D

Comment

Heres a 36 volt transistor version I drew. This one is running 12 volt with a relay but pretty much the same. Instead of a cap I am using another battery.

http://www.matthewcjones.com/power/HighVoltage.jpg

Tell me whats confusing and I'll help out.

Matt

Comment

Thanks Matt........that circuit makes sense now

Comment

Ya snip

I fire the coil 10 degrees passed top dead center. This allow the incoming magnet to create a rise in voltage, then I fire it before the opposite voltage appears. Again see the simple motor in my signature.
                    But this motor is a little different.....
                    Its not a BEMF recovery I am after. The motor is basically a step up voltage converter that allows us to utilize the small voltage generated by the magnets on the wheel and the incoming power. The conversion in a solid state is real efficient about 93%. The generated voltage can recover the loss in the step up process, at minimum. When the motor is used at high speed it can produce extra energy while producing torque.

snip

Cheers
                    Matt
                    Matt,

Possibly a word or two of explanation would be nice about now...

I have tried the "recovery" as per the Simple motor and it does not work in this particular model. What it does is allow the motor pulse to be sent on to the second battery and also the voltage generated by the coil/magnet to be collected to the second battery at 100% Lenz penalty, putting the draw with the diode unconnected of say .2 amps, up to a draw of 1.4 amps with the diode connected.

So can you detail your coil eight wire connection scheme please? A schematic would be easiest to understand but a verbal will do if I can get a handle on this...

Thanks,

Ron

Comment

You have got it hooked up with the magnet on the bottom of coil or just pulsing regular.
                      You will get a little more amp draw but that is the trade off for collection. When tuned correctly they will speed up not slow down.

Tell me what you doing exactly and I'll draw you something, and try to get you to the point where you can tune it a bit.

Matt

Comment

You have got it hooked up with the magnet on the bottom of coil or just pulsing regular.
                        You will get a little more amp draw but that is the trade off for collection. When tuned correctly they will speed up not slow down.

Tell me what you doing exactly and I'll draw you something, and try to get you to the point where you can tune it a bit.

Matt
                        Running 12 volt setup, opto triggered Mosfet, no weight yet, just plain disc...

Coil looks like this (pic 1)

Setup looks like this (pic two)

Ron
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by i_ron View Post
                          Running 12 volt setup, opto triggered Mosfet, no weight yet, just plain disc...

Coil looks like this (pic 1)

Setup looks like this (pic two)

Ron
                          Coil is bifilar, .034 wire, 345 turns finish of one to start of two. 3.7 ohms total, both winds. Zero gauss on exposed pole piece at 11.7 volts.

Runs around 900 RPM and .2 amps draw, no diode. Firing about 40%, on for
                          approach, switch off at TDC

Ron
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by i_ron; 09-16-2010, 08:15 PM. Reason: add

Comment

I just parallel all my wires to get started. If I am not getting any charge to the secondary battery then I'll wind up say 2 wire out the bunch so they go from beginning to end.
                            My coils is also about 450 turns. 8 strands of 20. In Parrallel and it is kicking out 14.2 measured on the diode. 1.5 amp in.

I haven't started adjusting yet.

Mosfets are not my ballpark yet.

If your gonna use 2 winds and you wanna collect I would have them somewhere around 600 turns or more. Tell ya the truth I would use 4 strand at 500 turn.
                            The other thing is the core you choose I have never tried a solid core like that. I use run of the mill iron welding rods with the flux stripped off. That thing may throw a little different perspective on things.

More winding higher voltage, I know that much.

I am not a big scientific person, I just know how to make it run right.

Matt

Comment

I
                              The other thing is the core you choose I have never tried a solid core like that. I use run of the mill iron welding rods with the flux stripped off. That thing may throw a little different perspective on things.

Matt
                              It is not a solid core, just a chunk of laminated MOT core, whittled down.
                              I was imitating gap power and only winding half the core.

Sounds like you are driving the core well past the zero gauss point?

Ron
                              PS: what is the resistance of say one stand on your coil?
                              Last edited by i_ron; 09-16-2010, 10:15 PM. Reason: Question

Comment

snip

I am not a big scientific person, I just know how to make it run right.

Matt

Matt,

[QUOTE]
                                1) I am using magnetic cancellation to push the magnet on the rotor away, and the electromagnet is attracting the magnet on the wheel.

2) I fire the coil 10 degrees passed top dead center. This allow the incoming magnet to create a rise in voltage, then I fire it before the opposite voltage appears.

3) Also I have on the bottom of the coil a large neo magnet. The core of the motor is saturated with a north field. We turn that of by turning the electomagnetic coil on slightly. The rotor magnet then pulls itself in, for the most part. The Emagnet turns off and allow the saturation to push the magnet on the wheel away. [QUOTE]

What is confusing is your statements conflict. In three you say you fire the coil slightly and the rotor magnet pulls it's self in yet in two you say you don't fire the coil until 10 degrees after TDC. The three statements all say something different...

For someone to replicate your setup more information is needed. Giving the amps in and the volts out is not helpful. One needs to know the amps and volts in, and the amps and volts out, to form a comparison.

Then a more precise timing scheme is needed, when do you fire the coil and for how long? Just to say it is a 12 volt battery is too vague, it could be anywhere from 10 to 14 volts--- what is the actual voltage when the coil is being fired?

Without proper documentation, real input/output numbers and the possibility of replication, then it becomes just another pie in the sky idea.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                                X