Safely Measuring HV DC Pulse Voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safely Measuring HV DC Pulse Voltage

I keep finding conflicting information on the net about the spark length method of working out roughly the voltage of a HV DC pulse.

Is there an easy, inexpensive and safe way to actually measure the voltage of a HV DC pulse in the 10 to 60 kv range with about + or - 1000v accuracy ?

I have a cheap led indicator device for electric fence's but it only goes to 6000v and I don't really want to have to dismantle it and try to work out how it works, I don't think I would be able to anyway.

From what I have read the spark length method depends on humidity and stuff, according to the chart on the site in my link my electric fence energiser puts out pulses over 13 kv it should be maximum 7500v. That doesn't add up. I like the simplicity of the spark gap method but it doesn't seem very accurate. Though it does feel more like 13 kv than 7.5.

Measuring high voltage or the "static electricity" on your body.

I'm confused. Again.

Cheers
    Last edited by Farmhand; 09-17-2010, 10:01 PM. Reason: Spelling

Jochen's High Voltage Page : Electronic high voltage meters

That should do it. Or get a few 20Mohm HV resistors from over at Information unlimited.

Tad

Comment

Thanks for that UncleFester that should be easy enough even for me. Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
      X