Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the minimum admissible quality of an osciloscope

Hi,

I have found this osciloscope in ebay: Osciloscopio HAMEG HM-605 60Mhz + Sonda en venta en eBay.es (finaliza el 24-nov-10 22:24:34 H.Esp)

How good (or bad) is it? Would you say is good enough to start learning electronics?

Thanks.

To start learning then certainly. 60MHz is quick for most home stuff. The mkind of repetition rates I am expecting (as a newbie on this forum) looks in the milli-secs. Even my very old and dodgy 100Hz scope does more than is needed to look at the waves of a bedini cct.

If your dipping your toe, then 150E is pretty decent... no point spending much more unless you know your gonna need it.

Comment

Originally posted by faramog View Post
      To start learning then certainly. 60MHz is quick for most home stuff. The mkind of repetition rates I am expecting (as a newbie on this forum) looks in the milli-secs. Even my very old and dodgy 100Hz scope does more than is needed to look at the waves of a bedini cct.

If your dipping your toe, then 150E is pretty decent... no point spending much more unless you know your gonna need it.
      Thanks for your answer.

WHat is 150E?

So the osciloscope on ebay is good enough? thanks.

Comment

150 euro ... I think it was priced at 141 euro or something ... very quick look anyway.

Like I am doing in this with a basic SSG .. start small !!

Comment

Originally posted by faramog View Post
          150 euro ... I think it was priced at 141 euro or something ... very quick look anyway.

Like I am doing in this with a basic SSG .. start small !!
          I think you may find that the SSG delivers high voltage, very
          sharp spikes, and this requires a very good oscilloscope to see
          them properly.

Schools sometimes have good gear. Do you feel that you could ask
          your old Physics teacher if you could bring it in and test it on their
          best scope?

Hantek produce a range of interesting USB boxes which put the
          scope output on your computer screen. Very useful Mhz.

Comment

Originally posted by wrtner View Post

Hantek produce a range of interesting USB boxes which put the
            scope output on your computer screen. Very useful Mhz.
            So you think that the Osciloscope HAMEG HM-605 60Mhz is not good enough?

Could you post info about these Hantek? Which one would you advise? How much would it cost?

Thanks.
            Last edited by bugler; 11-24-2010, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Could someone who's plotted the waveform of an SSG on a fast scope give us the desired Rise Time of the pulse in uS ? That should pretty much determine the minimum Frequency Response needed.

Comment

Originally posted by bugler View Post
                So you think that the Osciloscope HAMEG HM-605 60Mhz is not good enough?

Could you post info about these Hantek? Which one would you advise? How much would it cost?

Thanks.
                This is the sort of thing:
                Products List_Hatek Electronic co.,Ltd._http://www.hantek.com.cn
                You need to be sure that your computer and operating system
                are sufficient.

They can be found on Ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by wrtner View Post
                  This is the sort of thing:
                  Products List_Hatek Electronic co.,Ltd._http://www.hantek.com.cn
                  You need to be sure that your computer and operating system
                  are sufficient.

They can be found on Ebay.
                  I feel lost.

Which one is good (and cheap) enough? Please take into account that I am a complete newbe.

Is it the HAMEG HM-605 60Mhz a good one or not?
                  Last edited by bugler; 11-24-2010, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I have a Hantek 60MHz dual channel DSO USB scope.....and it works lovely

around £130 as i recall

Comment

Originally posted by rave154 View Post
                      I have a Hantek 60MHz dual channel DSO USB scope.....and it works lovely

around £130 as i recall
                      Thanks.

The osciloscope in ebay is also 60mhz and it is 10 years old so much better a small and new one for £130 (153€).

Comment

If its in good working order then it should make a good starting out point for a newbie. You need to learn about their differences. With analogue scopes its recommended to have 3 to 5 times the frequency's your working with. If your just working with 5mz and below a 25 Mhz would be all you need. 10mhz frequency's would be a 30 to 50 mhz analogue scope. 5 times is better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIfo_-d82Co
                        http://www.tucker.com/java/prod_cats/oscilloscope_info.jsp

Comment

hantek

Hi Bugler, and all. I have a Hantek dso 2250 and it works great for this stuff. I bought an old tektronix 465 off of ebay and it was not working properly, dont know if it was sold bad or broken in shipping. The are very heavy so shipping can be detrimental to them. The nice thing about the Hantek or any usb scope is when you are learning about electronics and learning how to use the scope properly, you may can use the computer display to check if you are reading the scope accurately. Just makes it easy to check your work. you can save screen shots and post them here too.And if you want to debug something in the car or garage, just your laptop under arm and the scope in your pocket. member Gotoluc uses one and he has done some great work with resonant coil tutorials with that scope ,check him out. Good luck with whatever you get.

Comment

Hi all,

thanks for your answers.

I decided that when the time comes I will buy the hamtek. I saw that they have 200mhz osciloscopes for less than 200€.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                            X