Coops - JT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coops - JT

I know this appears to be just another JT circuit. And for the most part it is. What I like to do, is to try and find "off the shelf" products that can be re-purposed into JT circuits. And to scale them up, where I can. I've finally found, what I think, to be a good combination of common parts that folks can replicate this circuit with. Without maybe having all of the test equipment a lot of us have the benefit of using to tune these circuits.

What I have here are a transformer I picked up from EPO (Electronic Parts Outlet) in Houston. It has a label of TAMURA microtran PL10-24-130B, 2x115v~ 50-60Hz T40/A, 2x12.0V, 2x5.0VA PL
    It has posts numbered 1, 3, 4, & 6 on one side and 7, 9, 10 & 12 on the other. the side with the numbers 7-12 are larger gauge wire than the 1-6 side. So of course this smallest gauge wire on the transformer is meant for the 115v AC side, and then the larger gauge wire is meant for the 12v and 5v outputs.

Next I have a common 3055 transistor that we're all familiar with on these forums. Nothing special there. Same goes for the rest of the parts list; I have one 200v 330uf capacitor, a fixed 2.2k 1/4 watt resistor that feeds into a 1k pot (1/2 watt or less), 13w CFL with the circuit removed and just using the wires leading out of the CFL itself.

Optionally you can run a diode (I used an N4006) to take the collapsing field from the collector of the 3055 and run another load through that, and into ground.

There are pics attached plus a video on YouTube under sisqocracker.

Thanks,
    Coop

Here's the URL to the video on YouTube:
    YouTube - Coops-JT Part1
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sisqocracker; 11-28-2010, 10:26 PM. Reason: Adding URL to YouTube

Oh, another note, you can substitute the CFL for a flash out of a Polaroid Sun 660 land camera. It makes awesome lightning sparks inside the tube.

Thanks,
    Coop

Comment

Good work ! reusing stuff is a very good way to go, I love to reuse electronic componants they are so plentifull, there is a real art to using what you can get or finding a way to use what we have got.

Transformers are a bit of a mystery to me the one's I find have all sorts of connections, they confuse me. Some of the older stuff may have some mildly toxic materials so we should be a bit mindfull of that maybe but nothings perfect Some older stuff is very rugged.

I havn't built myself a JT yet but I will soon they certainly look to be one of the mainstays of the efficiency seeker.

Cheers

Comment

It's interesting, there are a couple of long threads about two different ideas whom are both combined into this one circuit, but that seems to have gone unnoticed here.

I am currently working on the switched 555 version of this same circuit and will post any updates I have of that.

Also as an FYI, I did follow the Imhotep relay to car coil circuit (albeit 2 years later than most everyone else) and found a lot of the same results most others found. I'll post over on that thread with what I have there.

Thanks,
        Coop

Comment

Sometimes removing the core can make the CFL brighter, usually when the resonance happen on frequency higher than iron core can handle.

Comment

makes sense

If I were to drive the frequency high enough, then I could probably be ok with an air core. But would think that I'd lose quite a bit of voltage gain compared to letting it go slower and allowing time to be on my side.

Thanks,
            Coop

Comment

Thanks for the You tube posting and the pics however, I have not been able to find the diagram. here or Youtube.You said you had changed the normal circuit slightly. Did you connect the tXfromer winding in antiphase as a normal J.T?.
              MayI see a circuit please ?

Comment

Working...
              X