How to turn plastic waste into diesel fuel cheaply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David007 View Post
    i have think and to make heater with nichrome wire, is possibility to have short circuit when nichrome may be cut off (broken).

with nichrome wire, need and fire brick, and i see how to build fire brick but need more work to make it.

with nichrome wire non are safe!!! may be ... more bad expol...

i like to buy or to build band heater with mic a, becouse the surface of contat is more safe with mica.
    is better if build, becouse can make with best dimension of your "refinery".
    any idea???
    Mica can handle the heat, but it tends to be expensive, unless you have access to it cheap. ceramic slieving is available, but you may have to order it.

Since our working temperature is so low, compared to insulation materials, then Another option for the band heater is wrapping it around graphite sheet gasket would work, and it is more flexible than mica.

I have found, and used high temperature band heaters on eBay for cheap.

Here is a link to some high temperature insulation experiments I did inlcuding making my own firebrick High temperature insulation
    Originally posted by David007 View Post
    thank you i use brass
    Brass melts at around 800f (425c), so it will not make a good seal, or fitting for the retort.
    I have been running various blends of waste oils and unleaded gasoline in a 1983 Chevy G-20 van with a 6.2L diesel V-8 engine, with a Stanadyne Rotary DB2 IP since Feb, 2007. I have started the engine with no difficulty and no block heater on an 80/20 (WVO/gas) blend down to 0F (-18c). I have found that by blending as little as 15% gasoline in the summer, and as much as 50% in the winter, my engine starts and runs as if it was running on diesel fuel.

Comment

• tempreture proplem

i have heat proplem with my system so i am finding insulation....l try small system with pe plastic i produce like gold fuel then turn to wax...i try pp plastic and waste oil but fuel comes black...my reflux was 240 and rise up to 340..how can l make fuel from pp and waste oil to yellow fuel? whats the proplem? can it be retort tempreture to hi thanks

Comment

• oil retort

excalibur can you help me to do waste oil continuous system? l mean the system before retort do you have drawing?

Comment

• Originally posted by jonathan View Post
          i have heat proplem with my system so i am finding insulation....l try small system with pe plastic i produce like gold fuel then turn to wax...i try pp plastic and waste oil but fuel comes black...my reflux was 240 and rise up to 340..how can l make fuel from pp and waste oil to yellow fuel? whats the proplem? can it be retort tempreture to hi thanks
          The likely cause of your fuel turning to wax when cool is the reflux temperature is too high. See Jetijs' post where he solved his wax problem by using reflux = 150°C
          http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post149814 ..post 680
          The black color might indicate boil over or if you're sure it's not boil over then perhaps try terracotta pieces in the reflux.
          http://diydiesel.blogspot.co.nz/

Comment

• thanks

exalibur now i try to build, and i like to make with band heater.

Beyond Biodiesel thanks i have see your site about fire brick, is more safe, and more simple to use band heater, i can find free mica.

i have see in internet but nothing conctert, just some picture.
            any idea, something more how to build band heater?

Comment

• mmm... somethink

Banding Ceramic Heating Element to Pipe - YouTube

ASB Heating Elements Ltd.

do you like, any idea?
              Last edited by David007; 05-31-2014, 11:46 PM.

Comment

• tempreture proplem

thanks excalibur i try it when tempreture of reflux was about 220 degrees c it was yellow when tempreture begun to rise it comes out black.....can some one help me about waste oil continuous system? thanks

Comment

• jonathan, sounding suspiciously like boil over. What was the temperature of the retort when the diesel was coming out black? Temperature is however, only one piece of the puzzle. One gauge of retort activity is to monitor bubbler liveliness. Another really good gauge is a sight glass so you can see flow and fuel color, clear to yellow is good. Dark suggests the process is being forced so the heat may need trimming back.
                  I suggest you solve the current problems with your system before thinking about upgrading. Proceed one step at a time.

I'm scheduling Tuesday as my next diesel making session. Am hoping to do 300 liters. I'll be updating the schematic for the preheater oil feed soon after.
                  http://diydiesel.blogspot.co.nz/

Comment

• retort tempreture

thanks excalibur yes it was boil over because i do another test... as i said before i have another system but i dont have insulation.....i do a test with coffe can i put 110g pe plastic and do 100ml of oil but turn to wax but my reflux was 360...so thats why it turn to wax...l will wait for your oil feed preheater..thanks in advance excalibur

Comment

• pyrolysis oil

excalibur did u test your diesel in car? and l read that fuel oxidize after days and turn black....does your diesel turn black also? thanks

Comment

• hi

can us for feedstock, used coffe express ? like biomasse

Comment

• pyrolysis

sorry coffee can as retort

Comment

• There are several reasons why you can get wax, so no easy answer. e.g.
                            The type of plastic used as feedstock.
                            The temperature of Retort.
                            The temperature of Reflux.
                            The use of and temperature of catalyst.
                            The speed that the gasses are flowing through the system, which determine their heating/cooling time and cracking time. Normally, the hotter the Retort and catalyst, the more cracking and the lighter the Hydrocarbon chains. So you may have your system operating too cold.
                            This is where you need to play on a small scale and learn all the tricks to best suit your application, before spending money on building continuous feed systems etc, because each change to a design will bring a new set of problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonathan View Post
                              sorry coffee can as retort
                              thanks, are you sure, may be have oxygen inside??
                              if i put about 10 kg of used coffe express, how fuel can make??

Comment

• All Read - Need to resume

Originally posted by Jetijs View Post
                                Jetijs
                                @Jetijs Hi from Argentina, I read all the post from the nro 1 to 121. If it's possible for someone to resume the last model that would work. Jetijs thank you for all that work. Now I'm lost. I undertand the reactor, the coolers for both diesel and gasoline but I get lost in how to avoid wax, use of catalyst and how would be the last model of the invention. If someone could send me a photo or drawing and last result. Thank you!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X