universal pulse driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• universal pulse driver

Universal pulse motor or coil or transformer circuit.

This circuit is what I have come out with when experimenting with driving parallel path magnet motors (see other thread by me on this forum). Since PPMM are very demanding about switching, I needed to use some known protecting techniques. What you see on the circuit picture all comes from my experience. I have burned many transistors, diodes and other parts until finally I had well working and resistant circuit.

I decided to share this circuit with some practical info about it, so that people as much unexperienced I am, who need to build a circuit driving coils (motors, windings, transformers etc.) can save electronic parts and have something working good enough. It can also be used to desulfate and charge batteries.
    Yesterday I was using this circuit with 312 W 1200 V 50 A IGBT to drive PPMM build in a bicycle (videos are on my yt channel user 'scienculo')

Of course, this circuit is not perfect, so please, look at it and tell me your advices. Also, there may be drawing errors, please turn my attention to it, so that I can correct it.

light background picture:
    http://servilo.website.pl/laboratori...rger_light.png

dark background picture:
    http://servilo.website.pl/laboratori...arger_dark.png

Thanks for sharing. It looks like a well designed circuit and nice build on the bike. Have you ridden the bike you show in the video? How far can you go with your setup running on just the motor (not peddling) ?
    There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

answers

ewizard
      >> Have you ridden the bike you show in the video?
      Not yet. I still haven't finished the setup. More powerful power module (FET or IGBT) has to be used and I need to solder all the parts so that it will not disconnect when on the road.

>> How far can you go with your setup running on just the motor (not peddling) ?
      I hope at least three times compared to what normally bicycles like that go on 3 x 12 V 7 Ah betteries, but in reality, how far? -- tests will show.

Comment

Originally posted by sciencisto View Post
        ewizard
        >> Have you ridden the bike you show in the video?
        Not yet. I still haven't finished the setup. More powerful power module (FET or IGBT) has to be used and I need to solder all the parts so that it will not disconnect when on the road.

>> How far can you go with your setup running on just the motor (not peddling) ?
        I hope at least three times compared to what normally bicycles like that go on 3 x 12 V 7 Ah betteries, but in reality, how far? -- tests will show.
        Hello,
        I see your dark circuit because light is no more clear (low difinition, if you can repost thanks). Here is present only one power mosfet instead from your video SRSM1_rower2 / PPMM1_bicycle2 are visible two mosfets. I suppose that these are in parallel. an you explain or send little design how is conect circuit on parallel path engine? Coils are connected in serie or in parallel? Waiting an your reply... Regards Alex

Comment

answers

Alex

>> I see your dark circuit because light is no more clear (low difinition, if you can repost thanks).
          The light one, corrected, is here:
          http://servilo.website.pl/laboratori...verCharger.png

>> Here is present only one power mosfet instead from your video SRSM1_rower2 / PPMM1_bicycle2 are visible two mosfets.
          Yes, now I am using two IGBT model FGA25N120ANDT in parallel (gate to gate, drain to drain, source to source), because I need more power when starting.
          here:
          http://servilo.website.pl/laboratori...r/P1070800.JPG

>> can you explain or send little design how is conect circuit on parallel path engine?
          This is the present circuit I am using, most updated:
          http://servilo.website.pl/laboratori...PWM_rower2.png
          The "Ls" is the motor coils.

>> Coils are connected in serie or in parallel?
          They are now all in parallel, since I need high power when starting.

Comment

many thanks..

Alex

>> I see your dark circuit because light is no more clear (low difinition, if you can repost thanks).
            The light one, corrected, is here:
            http://servilo.website.pl/laboratori...verCharger.png

>> Here is present only one power mosfet instead from your video SRSM1_rower2 / PPMM1_bicycle2 are visible two mosfets.
            Yes, now I am using two IGBT model FGA25N120ANDT in parallel (gate to gate, drain to drain, source to source), because I need more power when starting.
            here:
            http://servilo.website.pl/laboratori...r/P1070800.JPG

>> can you explain or send little design how is conect circuit on parallel path engine?
            This is the present circuit I am using, most updated:
            http://servilo.website.pl/laboratori...PWM_rower2.png
            The "Ls" is the motor coils.

>> Coils are connected in serie or in parallel?
            They are now all in parallel, since I need high power when starting.
            Hello,
            Thanks for reply me immediately. I have used initially Flynn Parallel Path design for my little engine but I have in mind other some modifications. I think that parallel path technology is more than an simple electric engine and you have focalized the right way. Many thanks for your support and work. Regards Alex
            Last edited by tutanka; 02-27-2011, 04:34 PM.

Comment

sciencisto,

I have not much time so I'll be brief and blunt:

- Usually the igbt take more than 10V for the gate voltage to fully open. It works correctly around 15V and goes to a max of 20V (or whatever recommended by data sheet). Hence, MAX4220 might not deliver what is needed for opening an IGBT.

- Paralleling the IGBTs have an adverse effect beside not being identical. The parasitic capacitance that needs to de fast discharged to ensure abrupt turn off is increased now by putting them in parallel. Again, not sure if MAX4220 is designed to handle that.

- In my opinion, after the diode Dq should be only the battery, other stuff you have there is just dissipating useful power. If you need a better diode, put a better diode, don't try to protect it.

I'm glad you give a shot to IGBTs they are cool devices. You may find of use the book "The Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) - Theory and Design - V. Khanna (Wiley, 2003)" and some IXIS app notes to help you.

Regards.

Comment

Capacitor Value

Hello Sciencisto,
                In image posted from you is present an big capacitor. Probably I don't see that on your circuit scheme SRSM_1_1_impuls_rower2.
                Can you specify the capacitor value? Is 2.2mF or 2.2F (connected to recharge battery)? I attach photos of my PPMM.
                Thanks in advance.

Alex
                Last edited by tutanka; 03-09-2011, 08:55 AM.

Comment

advices

barbosi

Thank you for your advices, I appreciate your will to help.

>> Usually the igbt take more than 10V for the gate voltage to fully open.
                  I've studied the behavior of IGBTs I am using and have found out, that more than 10 V makes no difference in functioning of this circuit. But using 15 V to switch the IGBTs makes more ringing and more often destroys the gate. I tested them at different gate switch on voltages and finally came to this 10 V as the best solution for this particular circuit.

>> Paralleling the IGBTs have an adverse effect beside not being identical. The parasitic capacitance
                  Yes, exactly. I put them in parallel because I need more power and don't have spare IGBTs or FETs of higher dissipating power. From practical tests I see it is working well now.

>> In my opinion, after the diode Dq should be only the battery, other stuff you have there is just dissipating useful power. If you need a better diode, put a better diode, don't try to protect it.
                  That is what I did. But the nanosecons spikes were so high, over 700V some times, depending on consumed current. They destroyed the diode or the transistor. I know it is waisting a few watts, but now the spikes are only 170 V max, so the diodes and transistors can handle them.

>> You may find of use the book
                  Thanks, such literature is of high interest to me.

Comment

Czm1

tutanka
                    >> In image posted from you is present an big capacitor.
                    that one is Czm2, it is, in fact 9,3 mili F (= 9300 µF). It was missing on the circuit, sorry, my error, now corrected. It can be 10 o more mF. Less also can work.
                    Thanks for pointing it to me.

Comment

tutanka
                      >> In image posted from you is present an big capacitor.
                      that one is Czm2, it is, in fact 9,3 mili F (= 9300 µF). It was missing on the circuit, sorry, my error, now corrected. It can be 10 o more mF. Less also can work.
                      Thanks for pointing it to me.
                      HI Scientisto,
                      Now is good. Can you update the circuit with the components values for Varistor V1,V4 and the diode Dzm? Thanks in advance
                      Last edited by tutanka; 02-25-2011, 01:37 PM.

Comment

little symbol error on scheme..

HI,
                        Uzm battery symbol must be inverted on circuit scheme SRSM_1_1_impuls_PWM_rower2
                        Last edited by tutanka; 02-26-2011, 12:02 AM.

Comment

corrected

That was obvious error, already corrected. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                          X