X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll-up solar cells

Roll-up solar cells

New Scientist:

Imagine wearing a jacket or rucksack that charges up your mobile phone while you take a walk. Or a tent whose flysheet charges batteries all day so campers can have light all night. Or a roll-out plastic sheet you can place on a car's rear window shelf to power a child's DVD player.

Such applications could soon become a reality thanks to a light, flexible solar panel that is a little thicker than photographic film and can easily be applied to everyday fabrics. The thin, bendy solar panels, which could be on the market within three years, are the fruit of a three-nation European Union research project called H-Alpha Solar (H-AS).
    Last edited by Glenn; 06-26-2007, 03:15 PM. Reason: added link to full article
    Blessings on the journey, Glenn
    PLEASE HELP JEANIE FUND HER CANCER TREATMENTS
    Handmade Ceramic Gifts
    Discover-PATHS
    [

Glenn,

I heard about this a little while ago.

I'm just wondering do we catch on fire when we pump gas wearing one of these?

Was that an urban myth about not using a cell phone while pumping gas?

Unless something better comes out in the mean time I plan on getting solar cell phone chargers for most of my family members come the winter holidays

-Jessica
    Keep your mind on the aether www.PathsToSucceed.com

Comment

Hi,
      Originally posted by future pather View Post
      Was that an urban myth about not using a cell phone while pumping gas?
      It's an urban myth.

A TV program over here called Top Gear, put a load of mobile phones into a petrol soaked caravan, and tried to blow up the caravan by phoning the mobile phones. Nothing!

With love and gratitude
      Alan
      Save over $1,000 on PATHS
      Live your dreams through choosing PATHS

Comment

On my truck for years

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
        Roll-up solar cells

New Scientist:

Imagine wearing a jacket or rucksack that charges up your mobile phone while you take a walk. Or a tent whose flysheet charges batteries all day so campers can have light all night. Or a roll-out plastic sheet you can place on a car's rear window shelf to power a child's DVD player.

Such applications could soon become a reality thanks to a light, flexible solar panel that is a little thicker than photographic film and can easily be applied to everyday fabrics. The thin, bendy solar panels, which could be on the market within three years, are the fruit of a three-nation European Union research project called H-Alpha Solar (H-AS).
        Hi,

I've had a 8' x 9' foot roll-up experimental awning on my truck for about seven years now.

See: SUNANDPOWER.COM

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by gmeast View Post
          Hi,

I've had a 8' x 9' foot roll-up experimental awning on my truck for about seven years now.

Greg
          Greg,
          This is great! The RV crowd would love this.
          -Steve

Comment

To Dangerous see, solar power parody at
            The Hazards of Solar Energy
            Al

Comment

Originally posted by gmeast View Post
              Hi,

Greg
              solid state bedini that Bro..

Ash

Comment

The cell phone thing is not a myth, although very unlikely. Aparently the phone could charge up a metal object in the vicinity, of the correct geometry, with a static charge possibly producing a spark, or a spark produced inside the phone could ignite the gas vapours.

Can Cell Phones Cause Explosions at Gas Pumps?

Comment

Working...
                X