Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gyula View Post
    Hi Dambit,

The problem is your R4 pull down resistor for the pnp transistor: it rather needs a pullup to the positive battery polarity, so R4 should go up to the positive rail instead of the negative one (you designated the negative as 0V).

(In case of an npn type the pull down is ok to the negative rail but for a pnp a pull up is needed for the positive rail. By inserting a series LED you performed voltage level shift for the pnp base-emitter, which is also ok in this particular schematic)

Gyula

Cheers mate,

I feel like a retard after reading your post The pull-up resistor is exactly what I should have realised I needed. Anyway.

I setup the circuit as per my second schematic and used a 300V, 100MFD capacitor as opposed to a nichrome coil. I used a 12V, 5 watt energy saving fluorescent light as the load. The circuit is setup to generate a 980 Hz signal. The initial results are interesting.

My power supply puts out 13.4V, and when the bulb is connected directly to it the meter reads 405ma (5.42W). When the bulb is placed in the circuit the voltage across the bulb is 11.4V and the circuit as a whole is drawing 240ma (2.73W).

I am able to adjust the output voltage of my power supply so I connected the bulb back up to it directly and lowered the voltage to 11.4V and the meter read a draw of 300ma (3.42W).

So it seams that using this circuit allows the bulb to draw 0.69W less than without it. As you can imagine I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my enameled nichrome wire. I'm not sure what to expect but you never know.

Cheers,

Steve
    You can view my vids here

http://www.youtube.com/SJohnM81

Comment

Hi All,

One of the things I'm concerned about with using a nichrome coil is voltage drop. Wouldn't the nichrome just act like a big resistor? Or would the fact that it is a coil change things a bit?

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Thought your thread had some great ideas on materials.
        I found an old book that describes an unusual electric magnet
        that uses alot of amps but will attract non ferrous metals.

I don't understand material science as well as I would like, this may not be
        new but i thought it should be placed somewhere on the forum if someone could use it to align non-ferrous molecules.

The book in titled " Design, construction and operating principles of electromagnets for attracting copper aluminum and nonferrous metals "
        written by Leonard Crow.

Google

Comment

Cool, will check it out.

I'm still waiting for my laminated nichrome wire. Shouldn't be too long a wait. Maybe another month.

Comment

Any news Dambit? Hope the enthusiasm hasn't died!

Comment

Originally posted by AetherScientist View Post
              @ Skywatcher
              Yes, a guy in youtube tried that. check my youtube channel jamesjnichols to view the setup. It works. The unusual phenomena is that you use a single wire like the primary in the transformer.
              AetherScientist,

Went to look at your YouTube channel for the video you referenced, it says "This channel was closed and is no longer available"?

-http://www.youtube.com/jamesjnichols-

Do you have a new channel?

IndianaBoys

Comment

Originally posted by cncjoe View Post
                Any news Dambit? Hope the enthusiasm hasn't died!
                Sorry for the long away time I've had. Been studying again and general life stuff.

Just ordered 30ft of enameled nichrome wire and will be making a few small test coils with that when it arrives.

Will be sure to post result, good or bad.

The enthusiasm hasn't died

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Hi All,

I've had a long break from all this and am almost ready to get back into it.
                  Has anyone else been continuing the research?

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by dambit View Post
                    Hi All,

I've had a long break from all this and am almost ready to get back into it.
                    Has anyone else been continuing the research?

Cheers,

Steve
                    Google firefly
                    A circuit discussed on Keely net years ago.
                    It uses this phenomenon but instead of a degenerate semiconductor it uses looooong wire.
                    E.G. The speed of light is approx 180,000 miles per second.
                    If we had two wires connected to a battery and each wire was 186,000 miles long. If we turned the circuit on for less than 2 seconds then the electrons in the wire would not have had enough time to be potentialised and start to move. So we would have a degenerate semiconductor.
                    This is the premise that the firefly worked on.
                    The discussion is a bit muddly in heaps of posts and I dont know what happened in the end but interesting in relation to this topic

Comment

Originally posted by gsmsslsb View Post
                      Google firefly
                      A circuit discussed on Keely net years ago.
                      It uses this phenomenon but instead of a degenerate semiconductor it uses looooong wire.
                      E.G. The speed of light is approx 180,000 miles per second.
                      If we had two wires connected to a battery and each wire was 186,000 miles long. If we turned the circuit on for less than 2 seconds then the electrons in the wire would not have had enough time to be potentialised and start to move. So we would have a degenerate semiconductor.
                      This is the premise that the firefly worked on.
                      The discussion is a bit muddly in heaps of posts and I dont know what happened in the end but interesting in relation to this topic
                      You found a way to preserve battery dipole !

Comment

Firefly

Originally posted by boguslaw View Post
                        You found a way to preserve battery dipole !
                        See the link for all I could find on the firefly.
                        If anyone knows Bert Pool or if anyone knows where this went from here speak up.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the file. Sounds promising.

Comment

Working...
                          X