12 volt powered oscillator led light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SW:
    I have a blue led that when I put the meter on it, it will actually pass voltage through it both ways, and it takes the full 3 volts to light it. So, they do get affected by being pulsed. Something like that may be what is happening with your led lights drawing so few mA. Need to compare to some others to see what they draw also.
    The add on the 150 leds running the Christmas light for 8 hours on a single AA takes the cake. I'm not good very good with numbers, but that sounds pretty efficient to me, although they are probably only 75 % normal light intensity, and may not last the full 8 hours, maybe only 5 hours or less, that still a lot of light from an AA.

Comment

Hi nickz, thanks for reply.
      These white/bluish type ones in these modules i made are showing a more normal current draw, though these have never been pulse powered, of course these are not warm white flat top leds, if that has a bearing.
      By the way, I added a blob of hot glue on the top of these also and they are completely diffusing the light all around and really lighting up the bathroom well with just the two modules, if one can stand the color.
      Yes one would have to have a set of those christmas lights you posted to know for sure how well they perform.
      peace love light
      tyson

Comment

Might be important to know why the first leds are drawing so little.
        I do like the flat tops, especially the warm whites. Most leds are just too bright when they are fully lit and almost blinding, I don't much care for their type of light. The ordinary light bulbs are still my favorite, as they have that natural candle light color, and reddish tinge, and can be dimmed also. But leds are getting to where they are an easier light to live with at night.
        What I'd like to find is magnetic non-shocking current that will light up ordinary incandescent bulbs, with no heat involved. That would suit me fine, and is still my main objective.
        Check this guy out:
        Singe wire conduction - 06/08/01

Comment

Hi nickz, thanks for the reply.
          I'm not sure, but I think it may be because they are under driven voltage wise.
          Yes I agree, the warm white leds are the best color for my sanity, lol.

I finished 4 of those 4 in series led modules and place them in parallel and mounted them on a plastic connector strip and hung them in the bathroom for testing purposes. I used a 9 volt dc wall transformer, I think it was from a cell phone, though its around 14 volts no load, so it powers the leds nicely.

Though once I test these out and see how it goes, then I will make the same modules, only I will use the warm white leds, which will be nice and relaxing to the eye, which these are not.
          Here is a pic of them lighting up the bathroom.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

peace love light
          tyson

Comment

Hi folks, for anyone that may be interested in my led home lighting adventures, here is a pic with four in parallel of the 4 in series led modules, though this time I used the warm white flat top leds, so no need for hot glue diffuser.
            As you can see, a much nicer light.

peace love light
            tyson

Comment

Hi folks, I thought I would mention this observation, since it seems along the lines of lasersabers ringer, maybe.
              As I said, I'm using a 9vdc small wall transformer and when I remove the transformer from the wall outlet, the leds continue to light over at least a 1 minute period or more.
              Meaning, all are dimly lit, then some go out and by the end of around a minute 1 module of 4 in series are still lit faintly.
              Now I'm not sure what size smoothing capacitor is in the small wall wart transformer, though keep in mind that 1 module is 4 leds in series that requires probably 2.75 volts or greater per led to even have them faintly light up.
              Whatever the minimum forward voltage of each led is, is it possible that this little transformer is ringing like lasersabers joule ringer?
              Your comments welcome.
              peace love light
              tyson

Comment

I was also wondering about this too. I have been using 3.5 watt led bulbs that
                I got from Wal-Mart for around 15 bucks each a year ago (I think they are cheaper now). They run off !!0 house regular socket but also run well with a
                Fuji circuit. They also stay lit for a long time after being turned off. I also
                noticed this with the LED Xmas lights. What causes this ? By the way, SkyWatcher, you are getting an impressive amount of light. The string Leds I have been using are outdoor. I wonder if using indoor ones would make a difference ?

FRC

Comment

Hi frc, thanks for the reply.
                  My only guess is that a capacitor inside my transformer is just large enough to power the leds dimly for a little while, if not, then its ringing or something.

The 20 led string of warm white christmas leds hanging in the picture that are not turned on, are for indoor or outdoor.
                  I have been using them for a few months and were fairly bright when new, but now they are about half as bright.
                  I read somewhere else about this problem, something to do with being directly hooked to the line and its frequency.

Yes this setup is putting out some decent light, considering it's only 16 warm white flat top christmas leds.
                  4 in series led module, with 4 of these in parallel with no resistors at all, though I probably should hook up a fuse just in case.
                  peace love light
                  tyson

Comment

Sw:
                    For added output of the leds from a 12 volt source the following circuits can be used also. These are really made for the higher wattage leds, but might work on something like what you are doing also.
                    Velleman Inc.

Comment

12v DC led light bulbs are normally not used to light up the house or in any household item or fixture. They are used in porch lights, accent and reading lights, solar or battery powered systems and other 12 voltage setups and equipments.[/COLOR][/U]
                      Last edited by Malinany; 04-23-2014, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Hi folks, for anyone interested in using any 12 volt batteries laying around, like old car batteries that still put out 12 volts or so, here is a circuit that is running very efficiently at powering leds in parallel.
                        It is a joule thief with 28 gauge bifilar JT oscillator with 2 turns of 18 gauge wire as secondary to power leds. Each strand in the primary oscillator is 1.4 ohms, so as to keep the peak amps lower in transistor and reduce heat.
                        A 331 picofarad cap in parallel with 20kohm base resistor boosts frequency and light a bit.
                        it is drawing around 60 milliamps at 12.5 volts input when lighting 11 leds, though more can be added and the others do not dim.
                        I just have to scrounge for some more.
                        The transformer is a ferrite e-core and using 2n3055. Hope this helps anyone looking to use those old 12 volt batteries, as hooking up leds in parallel is a piece of cake using these proto boards and such. Here is a couple of pics.

peace love light
                        tyson

Comment

In the video, he was the difference in the picture, just a use of 1.5 V or 12V mA between the couple. I do not know whether the same, although not exactly the same configuration.
                          Wedding Cufflinks

Comment

LED lights

You might want to look into an led exit sign, like one of these high quality and durable fixtures LED Exit Sign | Emergency Lights Co.

Comment

Working...
                            X