Peter Daysh Davey Water Heater Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Inch PVC End Cap

The one inch pvc end cap works very well as a base for the pop cans. It is just the right size and holds the cans truly vertical and tight. I used a quarter inch threaded rod with nylon washers and galvanized nuts. They worked great!!

You have to make sure your hole is dead center in the end cap though or it won't work right!!

Comment

• No experience with AC in this venue

S
      I have to say.... common sense tells me to use stainless.
      But it seemed that he was saying ferrous ?
      All the crap in the water must be the ring material?
      Gotta go stainless!
      Do you have a company name you can use? make up a blind ,call around for samples [ thin wall stainless tubing] tell them your doing R+d on a heater prototype and you need to test the compatibility/ interaction between materials.
      I do this all the time when I build stuff [prototypes] ,all you need are some 2 inch sample cuts [well 6 inch would be nicer]different wall thickness at the same diameter as the ring.
      The bigger the supplier you call the more likely they will be to send you free samples

It will be quicker for you if you find someone local .
      I'll do this and send you the cuts if your not comphy with it?

I'll source some stainless tubing any how ,at least we can stretch it with
      the expander ,aluminum would be a problem to stretch IMO.

I'm stuck out of town {swamped} here for a few days , But I do have a shop to play in ,perhaps I'll do the "ring in a Ring" test [before i ship you the expander].
      After this I have to run straight to PA for another Job a couple days
      won't be back home till next week..
      Could you tell me the volume of your tank ??
      Thanks
      Chet
      If you want to Change the world
      BE that change !!

Comment

• Stainless Ring Material

I found a place that carries 304 stainless steel ribbon almost to our specs. It's $18 a foot, which would make you just one ring. But for longevity it might well be worth it.

http://www.sisweb.com/ms/wire-stainless-steel.htm

Comment

• Thats Very Pricey

I did a job in the midtown tunnel a few years back all new stainless railing for the tunnel authority cat walk [3 miles i think].
          It was a company out of canada I'll look them up.
          Those are the kind of guys that send out samples ,

Slovenia I really think a solid ring ,would be much easier to work
          its manufactured to a tolerance just like the can ,lots of work already done?

I have to say you do a very good job with the fabrication though!!

Any how I'm Shot ,have a good night
          Talk Manana
          Chet
          Ps
          Figure out your tank capacity ?
          BE that change !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Slovenia View Post
            I found a place that carries 304 stainless steel ribbon almost to our specs. It's $18 a foot, which would make you just one ring. But for longevity it might well be worth it.

http://www.sisweb.com/ms/wire-stainless-steel.htm
            .025 stainless shim stock x 6" x 50"
            NEW LYON SS SHIM STOCK SHIMSTOCK .025 6" X 50" | eBay

they also have .031 but I think they have typo".31"
            You could take it to a heating sheet metal shop and have them sheer it but it cuts easily with hand sheers.
            Last edited by TEKTRON; 10-13-2011, 02:38 AM.

Comment

We must have been writing our posts at the same time because I didn't see yours till just now. I also think stainless is the way to go and I've found a company that sells a ribbon 304 stainless just about the dimensions we need for $18. It's .25mm thick and 79mm wide I think by twelve inches, so it would only make one ring. I used to make a lot of hydrogen generators and 304 has problems too. 304L would be really good but I haven't run into any of that.

Originally posted by RAMSET View Post
              S
              Gotta go stainless!
              Do you have a company name you can use? make up a blind ,call around for samples [ thin wall stainless tubing] tell them your doing R+d on a heater prototype and you need to test the compatibility/ interaction between materials.
              I do this all the time when I build stuff [prototypes] ,all you need are some 2 inch sample cuts [well 6 inch would be nicer]different wall thickness at the same diameter as the ring.
              The bigger the supplier you call the more likely they will be to send you free samples

I'm stuck out of town {swamped} here for a few days , But I do have a shop to play in ,perhaps I'll do the "ring in a Ring" test [before i ship you the expander].
              Thanks
              Chet

Comment

• Originally posted by Slovenia View Post
                We must have been writing our posts at the same time because I didn't see yours till just now. I also think stainless is the way to go and I've found a company that sells a ribbon 304 stainless just about the dimensions we need for $18. It's .25mm thick and 79mm wide I think by twelve inches, so it would only make one ring. I used to make a lot of hydrogen generators and 304 has problems too. 304L would be really good but I haven't run into any of that.

NEW PRECISION SS SHIMSTOCK .010 6"X50" | eBay

.01in.=.25mm This stuff is 6 in x 50 in x .01 in for $15.00 ?? ?
                also the "L" you are looking for is low carbon. "L"is only necessary for perfect welding apps.
                Last edited by TEKTRON; 10-13-2011, 03:05 AM.

Comment

• 304l

Hi Tektron,

Thanks for the information. The reason I suggested 304L was that when I used it in my hydrogen experiments in the past, it never corroded and/or rusted during the experiments while 304 would rust through quickly if you were using electrolyte. I know what we're doing here isn't electrolysis but that's where I was coming from. Thanks for you help!!

Best Regards,
                  Slovenia

Originally posted by TEKTRON View Post
                  NEW PRECISION SS SHIMSTOCK .010 6"X50" | eBay

.01in.=.25mm This stuff is 6 in x 50 in x .01 in for $15.00 ?? ?
                  also the "L" you are looking for is low carbon. "L"is only necessary for perfect welding apps.
                  Last edited by Slovenia; 10-13-2011, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• Volume of Tank & Stainless

I'll get the volume of the boiler today for you.

I don't have a supplier for the thin stainless strip. I do have a supplier for the large stainless tubes but they are to thick to cut down and slim to our specs. I used to purchase all my stainless tubes from Veracious Motorsports in your neck of the woods.
                    verociousmotorsports.com/Shop-by-Category/304-Stainless-Steel-Tubing-Mill-Finished

Their prices were very cheap and they were my main supplier for all my stainless tubes. Nobody ever gave me free samples of anything.

Mr. "C" did appear to want a ring of iron and not something else. Tesla used iron too. Nothing was ever mentioned about stainless steel. I'll see if I can get him to contact me back.

When you get the hang of it, making these rings is no big deal.

I'll get the volume for you of my boiler later today.

S
                    Gotta go stainless!

Thanks
                    Chet

Comment

• Wishing you good luck

Hi Slov,
                      I have been following along here with much interest, and while looking at your 1st pic in your post #424, as my computer sloooowly scrolled down, I saw what appears to be, a 4 leaf clover (good luck) lol It can be found at the 8:00 and about 1 1/2" off the concrete.
                      But seriously I do pray and hope, for your good luck and success with this, and wish to thank all here for their time and hard work, and also for sharing.
                      Gene

Comment

• Hho

Slovenia
                        So we go with stainless!!
                        WE will need it for the HHO part anyway I am Sure!
                        1st things first!! Heat!!

Gene gene
                        Thanks for the prayers and the nice words .

Chet
                        BE that change !!

Comment

• Thanks!!

Hi Gene gene,

We appreciate your kind words and words of encouragement. I'm pretty sure we have something good here.

I planted some new grass in some bare spots off the concrete and the natural grass came up in it's place. The good grass all got cooked off this summer.

Best Regards,
                          Slovenia

Originally posted by gene gene View Post
                          Hi Slov,
                          I have been following along here with much interest, and while looking at your 1st pic in your post #424, as my computer sloooowly scrolled down, I saw what appears to be, a 4 leaf clover (good luck) lol It can be found at the 8:00 and about 1 1/2" off the concrete.
                          But seriously I do pray and hope, for your good luck and success with this, and wish to thank all here for their time and hard work, and also for sharing.
                          Gene

Comment

• Stainless & HHO

Chet,

Yes, I agree with you stainless is what we need. It's iron with a few alloys. This is all about HHO for me but I started with the heat as a proof of concept. Supposedly this baby when tuned properly will run a car almost completely on water. I don't know all the particulars of that yet but know it has to run on DC instead of AC and there are a few added electrical components such as full bridge rectifier and maybe others. He didn't elaborate on that because his interest was not in that direction.

Best Regards,
                            Slovenia

Slovenia
                            So we go with stainless!!
                            WE will need it for the HHO part anyway I am Sure!
                            1st things first!! Heat!!

Gene gene
                            Thanks for the prayers and the nice words .

Chet

Comment

• Stainless Shim Stock Supplier

Here's an interesting shim stock supplier:

Order STAINLESS 300 SERIES SHIM STOCK in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com

What We Need:
                              Order Stainless 300 Series Shim Stock in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com
                              Last edited by Slovenia; 10-13-2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Stainless Shim Stock Supplier

This looks like a good deal on what we need but it's quite a bit of shim for one person.

47113881 .2MM 150MM X 2.5M Stainless Steel Roll Shim Stock ($23.14)

National Supply Source Precision Brand Shim Stock - Metric Shim Stock  - Precision Brand Shim Stock - Metric Shim Stock  Product Page

Comment

Working...
                                X