Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lotsa Cans

Paul R
    Sounds like we're going to need a good supply of cans!!

Slovenia.
    I think this is going to work like a hearing test ,with the goal being sensitivity.

Having the can ring at the lowest decibel possible will most likely yield the best results. My point is I can hook up my boys guitar amp and shake the can in the next room !,Its shaking it at resonance and low volume that must be a trick?

Practice practice practice!!
    @Boguslaw,
    yes I feel the same way about the copyright......
    better safe than sorry!!

Thanks
    Chet
    If you want to Change the world
    BE that change !!

Comment

• Originally posted by RAMSET View Post
      Paul R
      Sounds like we're going to need a good supply of cans!!
      I am not following this thread very closely and may get this wrong,
      but can you not use something better than these moth eaten offerings?

Davey needs the object to ring out under the effect of the AC mains.
      These miserable cans will never ring. They are crap. Could you use
      some stainless steel tubing which, if held and struck, will ring out?
      Try a kitchenware shop. Even a piece of a car exhaust tube would
      be an improvement. (Now, Ramset, be good. Ask the driver first).

Paul-R

Comment

• Can Scenario

Paul,

As you say, the can doesn't seem like the best choice of instruments but according to the inventor it works very well. I think we should stay with the can for the time being for several reasons. The inventor says it works well; they are much easier to fool with than some of the other alternatives; they seem to work well for me even when not tuned; they're cheap and readily available. Give this project a go with a can and see what happens, or wait and you'll see where I go with it. I'm studying alternatives in the ring department right now. Our contact is a very well educated smart chap who has I believe shared a very significant device with us.

Thanks for checking our thread out and for your input.

Best Regards,
        Slovenia

Originally posted by wrtner View Post
        I am not following this thread very closely and may get this wrong,
        but can you not use something better than these moth eaten offerings?

Davey needs the object to ring out under the effect of the AC mains.
        These miserable cans will never ring. They are crap. Could you use
        some stainless steel tubing which, if held and struck, will ring out?
        Try a kitchenware shop. Even a piece of a car exhaust tube would
        be an improvement. (Now, Ramset, be good. Ask the driver first).

Paul-R

Comment

• Tail pipe Hacksaw bandit strikes again!!

Paul R
          Its a purpose built device,Perhaps not doing the same thing [in the same way] as Davey??

I have about another week of crazy schedule before I get back home again.
          At that time I will be getting quite aggressive with my replication!

Thanks for your help Paul R
          Chet
          PS
          Slovenia
          I see we posted at the same time

Whats this------------------>>>>>>>>>>>>>> they're cheap and readily available<<<<<<<<<<<-------------??

You holding out on me , cornering the 1/2 liter Serbian beer can market ?
          Last edited by RAMSET; 10-21-2011, 12:10 AM.
          If you want to Change the world
          BE that change !!

Comment

• Your Replication

Chet,

I look forward to having your replication in the mix. Thanks for all your support!!

Re: Cheap & Readily Available. No, I just meant aluminum cans in general. I have an English chap looking for cans for me but so far no luck either. He's state side and like beer a lot, so I was hoping he'd come across some cans shortly. He drinks a lot of European beer but in bottles which doesn't help us much unless he sees some cans at the liquor stores.

Best Regards,
            Slovenia

Originally posted by RAMSET View Post
            Paul R
            Its a purpose built device,Perhaps not doing the same thing [in the same way] as Davey??

I have about another week of crazy schedule before I get back home again.
            At that time I will be getting quite aggressive with my replication!

Thanks for your help Paul R
            Chet
            PS
            Slovenia
            I see we posted at the same time

Whats this------------------>>>>>>>>>>>>>> they're cheap and readily available<<<<<<<<<<<-------------??

You holding out on me??

Comment

• I wish I knew if the can has to be Aluminium. I found an article that may be related in a roun about way:

Grain Refinement in Aluminum Alloys by Means of Electromagnetic Vibrations

Comment

• Can Scenario

Ahura,

Thanks, interesting. Yes, the aluminum can is the recommended variety of can. The inventor is studying other options too but hasn't explained them fully yet. There are also some different configurations that work with this method too but again, they haven't been explained to me. He has been using this device for some years now with no problems and he says it saves a lot on fuel costs. Utility services are very expensive in Serbia and so in this case needing to save was the mother of invention.

Best Regards,
                Slovenia

Originally posted by AhuraMazda View Post
                I wish I knew if the can has to be Aluminium. I found an article that may be related in a roun about way:

Comment

• Originally posted by AhuraMazda View Post
                  I wish I knew if the can has to be Aluminium. I found an article that may be related in a roun about way:

very interesting....

thanks AhuraMazda

The other view is that vibrations also give rise to considerable agitation of the melt and result in the newly formed nuclei being distributed throughout the solidifying pool, so that crystallization takes place uniformly inside the entire volume. Moreover, the vibrations have much the same effect as turbulence, dispersing small crystals so that more of them grow, resulting in reduced grain size.

The sonic or ultrasonic irradiation of molten metals is mainly carried out with magnetostrictive, or piezoelectric, transducers (Figure 1). Coupling rods made of quartz, graphite, and various ceramic materials have been used to communicate vibrations to a molten metal, and these materials are attached to the transducer by special cements. However, such a technique presents several disadvantages. The oscillating rods are very rapidly dissolved when they are immersed into molten aluminum alloys, and this circumstance provokes an undesirable contamination of the metal. Moreover, the intensity of cavitation is greatest near the transducer or the coupling rod face; thus, the use of such a system is principally justified for the treatment of metal mixtures on a small scale.

reminds me of this post made by Dave

http://www.energeticforum.com/158343-post682.html
                  Signs and symbols rule the world, not words nor laws.” -Confucius.

Comment

• Titanium Strips

I have a very good source for titanium strip. It is sold by the foot with free delivery in USA for $4.25 per foot. It is just under .1mm in thickness and 18.44mm wide. You can get four rings out of a single foot length of this stuff. Anyway, it's a heck of a value for sure. The stainless steel strip to similar dimensions is much harder to find and much more expensive because it's sold in larger quantities. I ordered three foot of this stuff for the inventor but he hasn't told me where to send it yet. It's fantastic stuff. It's very rigid and thin. I think it's just what we're looking for. I'm going to order another foot of it tonight.

Titanium Strip Sheet Plate .0035" x .726" by the foot | eBay

Attention: There's only 10 feet of this stuff left!!
                    Last edited by Slovenia; 10-21-2011, 01:12 AM. Reason: Added Line

Comment

• Found 500 ml cans

Well, I found the 500ml cans and they are readily available but not cheap and they are empty. They are Japanese and start at $4.99 plus $7.99 shipping. So, they are not a great value at that price but available. I'll keep looking for better cheaper options but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!! These babies come from Prague in Czech republic. They must be collector cans.

KIRIN 500 ml. ALUMINUM BEER CAN from JAPAN EMPTY !!! | eBay
                      Last edited by Slovenia; 10-21-2011, 01:35 AM. Reason: Added Line

Comment

• Originally posted by Slovenia View Post
                        Well, I found the 500ml cans and they are readily available but not cheap and they are empty. They are Japanese and start at $4.99 plus $7.99 shipping. So, they are not a great value at that price but available. I'll keep looking for better cheaper options but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!! These babies come from Prague in Czech republic. They must be collector cans.

KIRIN 500 ml. ALUMINUM BEER CAN from JAPAN EMPTY !!! | eBay
                        Slovenia

Do you really have problems to find 500ml beer can ??? where are you ? it should be cheap and popular can for beer in Europe !

Comment

• Cans and steel

Hi again!

In the north of Europe where I live the 500ml cans are the most common, Germany and other uses mostly 330ml cans.

About Serbia I have to ask a friend of mine, origin from Serbia. He would be the perfect chap to consult about beer cans judging from his very impressive belly

When fixing up my first can, I used actually one 330ml can. I was sure that a crappy thing like a beer can never give up any nice sound after the very nice pssssthy , but I was surpriced..

First I made the hole in the bottom vith my very old turner, (from around 1930). After I also cut of the can with a sharp steel in the turner. I sanded the can a little with the can spinning in my stationary drill after I had fastened one 8mm bolt in my center hole.

I also sanded the cut off edge a little by putting the can in a hand drill and spinning it against concrete floor. And wow , hanging from the ceiling in a small string it was singing to me like a bell
                          I estimated the singin around 60hz on my scope connected to a microphone..?

Doing the hard work as proffessional lurker!

Kind rgds D
                          "Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself the difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts that are not hard. Master these thoroughly, and the rest will follow. What one fool can do, another can."

Silvanus P. Thompson, F.R.S.

Comment

• I use 6mm SS rod easy to get at plumbers shop. It is what hold kitchen sink pour (sorry, don't know the exact name of it)
                            http://www.republika.pl/tmdarlowo/SUMYW-00.JPG

One of the problem I see is too much looses - can is not mounted steady due to light can walls being not sturdy.

Comment

• 500ml Can

Hi Boguslaw,

I'm in Kansas City, Missouri, USA. The cans are not readily available here. We have cans but they are not that size. The European beers are mostly sold in bottles here too.

Best Regards,
                              Slovenia

Originally posted by boguslaw View Post
                              Slovenia

Do you really have problems to find 500ml beer can ??? where are you ? it should be cheap and popular can for beer in Europe !

Comment

• Mounting Can

Boguslaw,

If you use the method I used for mounting your can, it will be very secure and not loose. I used a 1 inch end cap as my base and then pulled the can against that. I had the flat open side of the end cap pointing away from the can to the flat surface of the bottom of my boiler with 1/4 inch threaded rod holding everything in place with nuts and nylon washers. It is very secure indeed.

P.S.: Thanks for the info on the ss sink mounting strip. I have seen that in the past but forgot about it. Good material and reasonably priced.

Best Regards,
                                Slovenia

Originally posted by boguslaw View Post
                                I use 6mm SS rod easy to get at plumbers shop. It is what hold kitchen sink pour (sorry, don't know the exact name of it)
                                http://www.republika.pl/tmdarlowo/SUMYW-00.JPG

One of the problem I see is too much looses - can is not mounted steady due to light can walls being not sturdy.
                                Last edited by Slovenia; 10-21-2011, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X