No announcement yet.

Peter Daysh Davey Water Heater Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IKEA Flask Boiler Experiment (Sanding & Overview)

IKEA Flask Boiler Experiment (Sanding & Overview)

Overview:

Sanding:
    Sanding is done only to the lower end of the flask. It's done on both the inside tube and outside tube. The edges of both tubes are sanded till they are very sharp with care taken to maintain the length of each tube at the same length. It's my understanding that both tubes are connected at the top by the screw on portion of the flask. So, nothing is done to the top other than adding the threaded bolt to the threaded part of the flask so the flask boiler can be hung into the water from a horizontal support.

Length of Tubes:
    Inner & Outer tube length needs to be the same.

Gap:
    Not to exceed 5mm but 5mm is okay.

Ring Support:
    Needs to be very firm not allowing the ring to move.

Comment

• IKEA Flask Boiler Experiment (Sanding)

IKEA Flask Boiler Experiment (Sanding)

Comment

• Originally posted by Slovenia View Post
        Hi Gordon,

What's the diameter of your cylinder?

Best Regards,
        Slovenia
        I purchased some copper tube to start testing with these, the diameter is 1/4 wave of 60 hz is 125000 m as i am allowed by the harmonic math to multiply by 6 or 10 :

I'll go with 1.25*6 = 7.5 cm for the diameter

this is how i think it works

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_series_(music)

Pitched musical instruments are often based on an approximate harmonic oscillator such as a string or a column of air, which oscillates at numerous frequencies simultaneously. At these resonant frequencies, waves travel in both directions along the string or air column, reinforcing and canceling each other to form standing waves. Interaction with the surrounding air causes audible sound waves, which travel away from the instrument. Because of the typical spacing of the resonances, these frequencies are mostly limited to integer multiples, or harmonics, of the lowest frequency, and such multiples form the harmonic series (see harmonic series (mathematics)).

The musical pitch of a note is usually perceived as the lowest partial present (the fundamental frequency), which may be the one created by vibration over the full length of the string or air column, or a higher harmonic chosen by the player. The musical timbre of a steady tone from such an instrument is determined by the relative strengths of each harmonic.

Frequencies, wavelengths, and musical intervals in example systems

The simplest case to visualise is a vibrating string, as in the illustration; the string has fixed points at each end, and each harmonic mode divides it into 1, 2, 3, 4, etc., equal-sized sections resonating at increasingly higher frequencies.[4] Similar arguments apply to vibrating air columns in wind instruments, although these are complicated by having the possibility of anti-nodes (that is, the air column is closed at one end and open at the other) or conical as opposed to cylindrical bores.

In most pitched musical instruments, the fundamental (first harmonic) is accompanied by other, higher-frequency harmonics. Thus shorter-wavelength, higher-frequency waves occur with varying prominence and give each instrument its characteristic tone quality. The fact that a string is fixed at each end means that the longest allowed wavelength on the string (giving the fundamental frequency) is twice the length of the string (one round trip, with a half cycle fitting between the nodes at the two ends). Other allowed wavelengths are 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, etc. times that of the fundamental.

Theoretically, these shorter wavelengths correspond to vibrations at frequencies that are 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc., times the fundamental frequency. Physical characteristics of the vibrating medium and/or the resonator it vibrates against often alter these frequencies. (See inharmonicity and stretched tuning for alterations specific to wire-stringed instruments and certain electric pianos.) However, those alterations are small, and except for precise, highly specialized tuning, it is reasonable to think of the frequencies of the harmonic series as integer multiples of the fundamental frequency.

The harmonic series is an arithmetic series (1×f, 2×f, 3×f, 4×f, 5×f, ...). In terms of frequency (measured in cycles per second, or hertz (Hz) where f is the fundamental frequency), the difference between consecutive harmonics is therefore constant and equal to the fundamental. But because our ears respond to sound nonlinearly, we perceive higher harmonics as "closer together" than lower ones. On the other hand, the octave series is a geometric progression (2×f, 4×f, 8×f, 16×f, ...), and we hear these distances as "the same" in the sense of musical interval. In terms of what we hear, each octave in the harmonic series is divided into increasingly "smaller" and more numerous intervals.

The second harmonic (or first overtone), twice the frequency of the fundamental, sounds an octave higher; the third harmonic, three times the frequency of the fundamental, sounds a perfect fifth above the second. The fourth harmonic vibrates at four times the frequency of the fundamental and sounds a perfect fourth above the third (two octaves above the fundamental). Double the harmonic number means double the frequency (which sounds an octave higher). The combined oscillation of a string with several of its lowest harmonics can be seen clearly in an interactive animation at Edward Zobel's "Zona Land".
        Last edited by MonsieurM; 11-07-2011, 02:57 PM.
        Signs and symbols rule the world, not words nor laws.” -Confucius.

Comment

• Thanks

Thanks for sharing that with us!!

Originally posted by MonsieurM View Post
          I purchased some copper tube to start testing with these, the diameter is 1/4 wave of 60 hz is 125000 m as i am allowed by the harmonic math to multiply by 6 or 10 :

I'll go with 1.25*6 = 7.5 cm for the diameter

Comment

• I would just like to add the following images of a Joe Cell, known to use stainless steel

Directory:Joe Cell - PESWiki

same principle different application
            Signs and symbols rule the world, not words nor laws.” -Confucius.

Comment

• Does anyone see this as related to the heater?

Red-hot ice cube by induction heating - YouTube

Incandescence (photons) is a wave, just like heat is (infared) -- different speed/frequency....

Just thinking here.... Ignore if it doesn't make sense. I don't mean to derail anything here.

Good work,
              ==Romo

Comment

• IKEA Flask (Update)

I just got my IKEA flask this evening. So, I will be taking some pics of it sometime tomorrow and hopefully cutting on it too. It is an interesting looking flask.

Comment

• Digital Camera

Digital Camera Down

My battery is down, so I'm recharging it so I can show some pics of the IKEA thermos.

Comment

• Flask Mounting

Flask Mounting Method:

I'm not going to hang my flask as suggested into the water bath, but instead I'm going to invert the flask so the bottom will be pointing up so you can see the activity between the tubes and the ring. I think this assembly will fit nicely in one of my acrylic test cylinders. If that's the case, I'll be attaching my ring through the side of my acrylic tube like I did on my can mounting experiment. I'll also be attaching the thermos to the bottom of the test tank. I'll have the thermos attached to a "U" anchor on the bottom with a bolt and nut. The sides of the "U" bracket will be riveted to the threaded end of the flask. I'll have the opening, threaded end of flask, unrestricted and about one inch or so above the flat bottom of the test tank so the water can whip around and swirl for us unrestricted.

Attn.: The "U" anchor was Chet's idea!!

More to come soon.
                    Last edited by Slovenia; 11-08-2011, 05:41 PM. Reason: improved wording scenario

Comment

• I've asked in one shop about SS strip or sheet and they were willing to cut me a piece but the thinner they have was 0.5mm. Is that too much thickness ?

Comment

• .5mm Thickness Query

Hi Boguslaw,

Mr. "C" calls for .2mm thickness, but if .5mm is all you can get I'd go for it. You can always use a muffler expander and stretch it to the desired thickness. The .5mm thickness will work well enough to give you an idea of what we having going with this endeavor. It will give you a start. I would go for it. Anyway, I do think that the .2mm thickness is probably much more precise for tuning the can to 400 hz in your case than a .5mm ring. I look forward to hearing about your results. Good job finding that!!

Best Regards,
                        Slovenia

Originally posted by boguslaw View Post
                        I've asked in one shop about SS strip or sheet and they were willing to cut me a piece but the thinner they have was 0.5mm. Is that too much thickness ?

Comment

• Pics of My New Stainless IKEA Flask

Here are some preliminary pictures of my new IKEA stainless flask. We're going to do some cutting on this beast and make it into an IKEA two tube thermos boiler.

Side View of Flask with top of flask pointing downward:

Top End of Open Flask

End & Side View of Open Flask

The bottom of the flask is flat and I failed to take a picture of that, but the bottom will be cut off to expose the inner flask which will also have it's bottom cut off. So, there is a bunch of cutting to do on this beast. I'll be taking pictures before and after each of my cuttings to the flask. Once I have everything done on the flask assembly, I'll take a final picture for you also.

More to come soon!!
                          Last edited by Slovenia; 11-08-2011, 09:41 PM. Reason: Added some info.

Comment

• Thickness!

I think its difficult to find thinner than 0,5mm

If I have an adress I will post some sheets for free to you!

Kind rgds D

I've asked in one shop about SS strip or sheet and they were willing to cut me a piece but the thinner they have was 0.5mm. Is that too much thickness ?
                            "Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself the difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts that are not hard. Master these thoroughly, and the rest will follow. What one fool can do, another can."

Silvanus P. Thompson, F.R.S.

Comment

• Originally posted by daemonbart View Post
                              I think its difficult to find thinner than 0,5mm

If I have an adress I will post some sheets for free to you!

Kind rgds D
                              That would be wonderful!

Comment

• Got it!

This is cheap to send, no problem
                                Rgds D

That would be wonderful!
                                "Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself the difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts that are not hard. Master these thoroughly, and the rest will follow. What one fool can do, another can."

Silvanus P. Thompson, F.R.S.

Comment

Working...
                                X