Hydrokinetic Energy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrokinetic Energy

I'm looking to write my thesis on hydrokinetics. It's surprising to me that this isn't getting more attention as it seems like a practical and reliable technology for businesses. Here's an article I wrote comparing it to solar and wind: What about Hydrokinetic Power? | Hydrovolts

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. How do you think it compares to other renewables?

Originally posted by mangold24 View Post
    I'm looking to write my thesis on hydrokinetics. It's surprising to me that this isn't getting more attention as it seems like a practical and reliable technology for businesses. Here's an article I wrote comparing it to solar and wind: What about Hydrokinetic Power? | Hydrovolts

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. How do you think it compares to other renewables?
    You don't say what hydrokinetics are.

Presumably not the same as hydropower which I presume is putting
    wind turbine tri-blade systems under water, as they are doing up
    in Scotland with success, and getting a lot of power as the tide comes
    in and goes out.

Paul-R.

Comment

Originally posted by wrtner View Post
      You don't say what hydrokinetics are.

Presumably not the same as hydropower which I presume is putting
      wind turbine tri-blade systems under water, as they are doing up
      in Scotland with success, and getting a lot of power as the tide comes
      in and goes out.

Paul-R.
      Sorry about that. You're right it is very similar to wind power. Where hydropower uses pressure to generate power, hydrokinetics use motion/speed. Here's a quick explanation:

So What Exactly is Hydrokinetc Energy? | Hydrovolts

Comment

Have you looked into Victor Schauberger's Patents, also worth mentioning is Henri COANDA

Viktor Schauberger: Austrian Patents (Vortex Control of Water Flow)

Coanda Effect Patents

little interesting note is: Coanda patents and Dyson's inventions

“Signs and symbols rule the world, not words nor laws.” -Confucius.

Comment

If you can master hydraulic transients(aka water hammer) I think you will be able to unlock some major hydrokinetic energy. I have spent a lot of my professional life piping systems in an effort to prevent these transients and only recently have only thought of utilizing them.

Hydraulic transients are shockingly powerful and can very easily destroy boiler/water systems. A well designed turbine that can harness these pulses would in my opinion be far more superior, and less expensive to operate, then any solar/wind system.

Many months ago I started drawing one just to record my idea. I never got around to finishing it but it was based on fluid coupling(the most efficient coupling on the planet)

The transients drive the turbine vanes, here is the preliminary drawing.

-Core

Hydro:
          Attached Files

Comment

I have designed tidal power systems but there is no political will to make them a reality, remember political will is driven by money from the oligarchs. Governments only pay lip service to such schemes and might even build one or two but will not interfere with oil gas and nuclear power. I know, as I have worked in all these industries.

They are not a perfect solution as landlocked nations do not benefit but for islands and archipelagos they are excellent because of the tidal nature in these places. They are relatively cheap to build and have a low environmental impact if located in the right places. Maintenance is simpler and cheaper even if there are access issues and of course the power comes for free. The power density is at least 20 times that of wind and is predictable and reliable. The slack water issues of no generation, an argument used in the UK, is nonsense as slack water does not occur at the same time all over the country, separating generating sites by 50 or so miles is enough to prevent this issue and the more sites you have the less overcapacity you need.

To make this happen is going to require the education of people.

You may find it interesting that I was also involved in designing a river based system for BP to use in south America to power oil drilling operations as it was too expensive to ship in oil and a normal generator. I say if its good enough for that, it is good enough to power houses.

Comment

In Canada, if you have water on your property, you don't own it, be it a stream, river, lake, oceanfront - anything you wish to "do with it" is subject to governmental and environmental application and approval. That said, it's tough enough to do microhydro when it absolutely makes sense, let alone when it's considered "optional". Pretty much knocks ones hopes and ambitions down.
              ----------------------------------------------------
              Alberta is under attack... http://rethinkalberta.com/

Has anyone seen my Bedini Ceiling Fan that pushes the warm air down, and charges batteries as an added bonus? Me neither. 'Bout time I made one!!!!! :P

Comment

I'll just throw this in. I've raised it before, but just like the concept so much.

A project was proposed to build on the Nothern Sea coast of The Netherlands a circular dam, with locks. 10km across. Every tide, some 4m of water would rush in/out for that full 78kmē. That's a lot of water. You get 6 hours to suck energy out of it rush in it, and then 6 hours as it rushes out.
                Build it once. Put solar panels and windmills on top. I think it could power a huge chunk of the country.
                Surface being the trick here. 31.4km of dam gives 78kmē of water reservoir. For our country, this would be a medium sizes construction :-)
                How much water does the Hoover dam hold? And, how quickly is it filled up?
                78kmē times (I guess) 4m tide is 0.3 cubic kilometers of water. Twice a day.

78kmē would make a nice wind.solar park also of course. And it would be in no-one's way.
                You want a shallow sea with high tide for such a construction, to get optimal building efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloxxki View Post
                  I'll just throw this in. I've raised it before, but just like the concept so much.

A project was proposed to build on the Nothern Sea coast of The Netherlands a circular dam, with locks. 10km across. Every tide, some 4m of water would rush in/out for that full 78kmē. That's a lot of water. You get 6 hours to suck energy out of it rush in it, and then 6 hours as it rushes out.
                  Build it once. Put solar panels and windmills on top. I think it could power a huge chunk of the country.
                  Surface being the trick here. 31.4km of dam gives 78kmē of water reservoir. For our country, this would be a medium sizes construction :-)
                  How much water does the Hoover dam hold? And, how quickly is it filled up?
                  78kmē times (I guess) 4m tide is 0.3 cubic kilometers of water. Twice a day.

78kmē would make a nice wind.solar park also of course. And it would be in no-one's way.
                  You want a shallow sea with high tide for such a construction, to get optimal building efficiency.

How about adjusting the "Oosterschelde kering"? Just replace the sliding doors with generators, everything else is already in place !

It would modernize it and pay itself back.

Comment

why would anyone want to help those who could care less about anything but their bottom line?

Who killed tesla and the EV?

Comment

Working...
                    X