Charging Batteries From Mini Wind Turbine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging Batteries From Mini Wind Turbine

Hi, I recently bought a Windcharge Plus mini turbine which says it puts out 8 volts and 100ma in 12 mph winds. I'd like to try using it to charge some aaa or aa batteries. There is an Energy Station made by the same company for charging small batteries and other electronics, but it also says in the product description that "Input voltages higher than 4.5V will damage the internal boost up regulator. " I was wondering if this Windcharge Plus turbine could damage this unit since its peak output is 8V.

I was also wondering if there was another way to charge the batteries, like just buying some parts from Radioshack and putting something together.

I have done a little experimenting with renewable energy like just little 1.5v solar cars and lights and such but this is pretty new to me so any help is appreciated, thanks.

Originally posted by Wintermuet View Post
    Hi, I recently bought a Windcharge Plus mini turbine which says it puts out 8 volts and 100ma in 12 mph winds. I'd like to try using it to charge some aaa or aa batteries. There is an Energy Station made by the same company for charging small batteries and other electronics, but it also says in the product description that "Input voltages higher than 4.5V will damage the internal boost up regulator. " I was wondering if this Windcharge Plus turbine could damage this unit since its peak output is 8V.

I was also wondering if there was another way to charge the batteries, like just buying some parts from Radioshack and putting something together.

I have done a little experimenting with renewable energy like just little 1.5v solar cars and lights and such but this is pretty new to me so any help is appreciated, thanks.
    The 8V specification is likely "unloaded" so you should be safe. The images on the site show it connected to the Energy Station directly so if it happens to burn out then you've got a good case to get a replacement anyway.

Comment

bedini circuit or stingo

If you can build a bedini or stingo circuit you can charge even big batteries with these little turbines.

Comment

Wintermuet,

Even tho I agree that it is 8 volt unloaded, I think to be on the save side and make sure it won't damage anything I would place a voltage regulator before the input / at the output of the generator. I would use a lm317 so you can adjust the output / input on the fly. You can also put a fixed one in the circuit so you would get 3.3 volt output / input.

Regards,

Flux

Comment

or better yet, build a buck, and waste less energy:

Buck Mode Switching Regulator for Solar Applications
          ----------------------------------------------------
          Alberta is under attack... http://rethinkalberta.com/

Has anyone seen my Bedini Ceiling Fan that pushes the warm air down, and charges batteries as an added bonus? Me neither. 'Bout time I made one!!!!! :P

Comment

Working...
          X