No announcement yet.

Pulsed DC Resonance Using Basic Stamp 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi SkyWatcher. It turns out that Armagdn03 is the one that posted the videos Thanks for posting the links in your first post.

Comment

Hi mbrownn, your welcome, that was the focus, was the pulse dc resonant video.
      I hooked up my 555 timer again, I don't know if it's my lack of knowledge of this stamp circuit or it just does not perform the same as the 555 timer.
      So I will be using the 555 timer again, like i did in the past experiments to adjust duty cycle and pulse width.
      There was another video by gotoluc, it was the last one in his effects of recirculating bemf series, where he used a capacitor as a fixed pulse input to a coil with a huge magnet on top.
      He used a diode to recirculate the collapsing field within the coil itself and was able to reduce the capacitor voltage to below half of what the coil needed without the recirculation to reach same magnet height.
      Though he mentioned, it took about the same power using straight dc, though you can't make a motor turn without a pulse of some kind, so his tests are valuable.
      The only thing that would need to be done, is to switch the diode out of circuit while the magnet approaches, if using repulsion, doing this prevents the induced drag that the diode would create within the drive coil itself, then reconnect the diode when the coil is ready to repel the departing magnet.
      Here is a link to that video.
      Effect of Recirculating BEMF to Coil test 16 - YouTube
      peace love light
      tyson

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWatcher View Post
        Hi mbrownn, your welcome, that was the focus, was the pulse dc resonant video.
        I hooked up my 555 timer again, I don't know if it's my lack of knowledge of this stamp circuit or it just does not perform the same as the 555 timer.
        So I will be using the 555 timer again, like i did in the past experiments to adjust duty cycle and pulse width.
        There was another video by gotoluc, it was the last one in his effects of recirculating bemf series, where he used a capacitor as a fixed pulse input to a coil with a huge magnet on top.
        He used a diode to recirculate the collapsing field within the coil itself and was able to reduce the capacitor voltage to below half of what the coil needed without the recirculation to reach same magnet height.
        Though he mentioned, it took about the same power using straight dc, though you can't make a motor turn without a pulse of some kind, so his tests are valuable.
        The only thing that would need to be done, is to switch the diode out of circuit while the magnet approaches, if using repulsion, doing this prevents the induced drag that the diode would create within the drive coil itself, then reconnect the diode when the coil is ready to repel the departing magnet.
        Here is a link to that video.
        Effect of Recirculating BEMF to Coil test 16 - YouTube
        peace love light
        tyson
        This is the principle of using inductive kickback to power a motor such as in pulse Width Modulation. The first part of the power is given by the source capacitor, the current passes through the coil and destroys the charge in the capacitor by balancing the charge, this current is now lost. During the flow of current the magnetic field built up in the coil lifting the magnet.

In the second part with the diode connected the same thing occurs exactly as before but now as the supply is switched off the coil generates a current which continues to push the magnet allowing for greater lift. The energy in this second current is always less than the source current because of the resistance of the coil and the loss can be calculated under ohms law plus any other losses that may be cause by any core in the coil. If the resistance is low in the diode circuit and the inductance is high it is possible for this ramp down of current to last longer than the pulse giving many times more duration of pulse.

In a PWM motor circuit it is accepted that the motor output power can be doubled using this technique which raises the motor efficiency from say 35% to 70%. If care was taken when building a motor you could build a motor of genuine 70%+ efficiency this would give a theoretical output under PWM of 140% so why does this not happen?

If we put in 1 joule and multiply it by the efficiency we have 0.7 joules input plus 70% of that on the inductive kickback which is 0.49 joules and this is the force applied 1.19 joules. The rest of the energy has been lost as heat and iron losses. Rarely does a motor have ideal working conditions as far as load is concerned and so the efficiency is usually less.

Now lets assume the motor is producing 1.19 joules and it is fixed to a generator of 70% efficiency, the generators output would be 1.19 x 0.7 = 0.833 joules making a self runner impossible.

Now imagine we use an 80% efficient motor and an 80% efficient generator and do the same calculations and the answer is 1.152 joules, we can have a self runner.

So why don't they produce genuine 80% efficient motors to run on PWM? because we could generate our own power and the paradigm would be broken. Such a motor would be expensive as it requires large low resistance coils and would need to be started on low voltage until the speed built up generating BEMF to prevent the coils from burning out, just like motors used to be made pre WWII

Modern servo motors may be quoted as 85% efficient but this is under PWM and their actual efficiency is much lower.

Comment

Looking at these old motors on photographs they look to be 2 to 4 times the size of modern motors and the coils are huge.

Comment

Hi mbrownn, thanks for the nice reply.
            Yes, you can see the value in what gotoluc has shared also.

The way i see it, some motors already use a shunt diode to prevent spikes from damaging circuitry, though the design and timing of the motors use this collapsing field in a counter productive way.
            I'm still trying to figure out how to disconnect the coil collapse diode when a rotor magnet approaches, in repulsion mode.
            Maybe some kind of mechanical commutator setup would be a cheap and simpler way to test the idea out.
            This would quickly disconnect the collapse diode on magnet approach to coil.

Then reconnect when ready to fire coil to repel rotor magnet and harness coil collapse, from diode directly into primary drive coil, amplifying repulsive kick to rotor magnet.
            With efficient design, possibly as you say, create a self runner.
            Though if not, would certainly allow an electric motor to do the same work for less watt input.
            Much heat losses in typical motors is due to as you say, far too little copper mass, over saturating the coils with too much amperage and all the coils do at that point is create more heat and no additional magnetic field.
            Joseph Newman has proved that principle as have I with simple tests.

Has anyone tried this collapse diode, disconnect-reconnect idea.
            peace love light
            tyson

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWatcher View Post
              Hi mbrownn, thanks for the nice reply.
              Yes, you can see the value in what gotoluc has shared also.

The way i see it, some motors already use a shunt diode to prevent spikes from damaging circuitry, though the design and timing of the motors use this collapsing field in a counter productive way.
              I'm still trying to figure out how to disconnect the coil collapse diode when a rotor magnet approaches, in repulsion mode.
              Maybe some kind of mechanical commutator setup would be a cheap and simpler way to test the idea out.
              This would quickly disconnect the collapse diode on magnet approach to coil.

Then reconnect when ready to fire coil to repel rotor magnet and harness coil collapse, from diode directly into primary drive coil, amplifying repulsive kick to rotor magnet.
              With efficient design, possibly as you say, create a self runner.
              Though if not, would certainly allow an electric motor to do the same work for less watt input.
              Much heat losses in typical motors is due to as you say, far too little copper mass, over saturating the coils with too much amperage and all the coils do at that point is create more heat and no additional magnetic field.
              Joseph Newman has proved that principle as have I with simple tests.

Has anyone tried this collapse diode, disconnect-reconnect idea.
              peace love light
              tyson
              Yes I have Try this circuit Circuit Simulator Applet

then this one but you will have to close the sim or you wont see the new circuit. Circuit Simulator Applet

The first circuit shows how to use the inductive collapse to reduce your input but your magnet will not lift as high. the second shows how to collect the power generated by the falling magnet.

Comment

Working...
              X