Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am just about to fire this thing up (Build time 5h:20m) , I won't be around till tonight so if you have some issues or questions get them up soon.

Matt

Comment

• I'm here working on mine. Thought i'd be out all day, but have a bee swarm in the back yard and can't leave the dogs out in THAT. I can sneak into the basement and hope they don't come after me...since it has only an outside entrance.

Dave
      “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
      —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
        F3 discharges C1. D2 is in place to straighten the AC out. F2 Discharges C2.

Follow me?

Matt
        Thanks. Yes I do understand that D2 is in place to straighten the ac out.
        C1 if it is going to discharge into P1 and P2 by F3 then it needs a UNBLOCKED + path to P1 + and D2 is blocking it's path to the + of P1 so no power can flow out of C1 - by F3 because C1's + is blocked by D2 and there is no other path for C1 + to P1 + the way you have it, unless I am missing something
        William Reed

Comment

• Originally posted by rosehillworks View Post
          Thanks. Yes I do understand that D2 is in place to straighten the ac out.
          C1 if it is going to discharge into P1 and P2 by F3 then it needs a UNBLOCKED + path to P1 + and D2 is blocking it's path to the + of P1 so no power can flow out of C1 - by F3 because C1's + is blocked by D2 and there is no other path for C1 + to P1 + the way you have it, unless I am missing something
          I see now what your talking about. Your right.

MAKE A NOTE WE CHANGED THE WIRING AROUND D2

Comment

I see now what your talking about. Your right.

MAKE A NOTE WE CHANGED THE WIRING AROUND D2

Thanks Matt. My hat is off to you keep up the good work!
            William Reed

Comment

• Mattthew
              One more thing now that C1 and C2 have a + path to P1 and P2 the protection
              diodes on F1 F2, and F3 represent a dead short across F1 F2 and F3 because the direction they are trend will let the - of C1 and C2 flow back through to the + of C1 and C2 when the transformer tries to charge C1 and C2 the power will flow back through the protection diodes on the Fets. The current will be to much for them and thy will blow out then on the next switching cycle of each Fet they will be blown out because they will no longer have the diode to protect them from transient spikes. I know reverse diode's like this will blow because Steve and I did it on a four battery TS. I hope this helps
              What do you think?
              Last edited by rosehillworks; 06-17-2012, 06:54 PM.
              William Reed

Comment

• Matthew
                If you set it up so that F2 and F3 can run in the opposite direction then I think it should work . Please correct me if I am wrong.
                William Reed

Comment

Mattthew
                  One more thing now that C1 and C2 have a + path to P1 and P2 the protection
                  diodes on F1 F2, and F3 represent a dead short across F1 F2 and F3 because the direction they are trend will let the - of C1 and C2 flow back through to the + of C1 and C2 when the transformer tries to charge C1 and C2 the power will flow back through the protection diodes on the Fets. The current will be to much for them and thy will blow out then on the next switching cycle of each Fet they will be blown out because they will no longer have the diode to protect them from transient spikes. I know reverse diode's like this will blow because Steve and I did it on a four battery TS. I hope this helps
                  What do you think?
                  Ya you might be right. My caps aren't charging. No major damage will happen though. I'll turn them on mine and see if it helps. The caps aren't charging but they are old and I thought they may have gone bad.

Good news though...

Even without the cap dumper my bulb is lit. I have 12v battery charging at 14.20 volt and the primaries have been slowly coming back up.

I'll report more this evening.

Matt

Comment

• UPDATE

I have made changes to the original schematic at F2 and F3, also at D2 we moved a wire. Also Added a 1kv .01 uf capacitor across the drain and source of F1. And Added a 600 v 10 amp diode across the drain and source for further protection.

MAKE SURE TO USE THIS SCHEMATIC!!!!

Cheers
                    Matt
                    Last edited by Matthew Jones; 06-17-2012, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• OK so I got this thing running but I screwed up a bit and didn't pay attention to the impedance on my windings. I have got .6 ohms on my primaries. I should have used a bigger wire. The results of having more than .1 are you get voltage divider on the pulse so everyone should note how much resistance they have on the windings.,

Anyway I'll rewind it and fix it, soon as I can.

If someone is following this thread and is not doing the experiment but still want to help you could compile all the latest data so everything up to date can be found in one place.

This thing will work, I am already seeing it. It will take some time and patience to get some bigger loads out of it but what else do we have to do.

Cheers
                      Matt

Comment

• Matthew
                        I have seen some of what you have done and I know you know what you are after. It will work so thanks for not giving up on it or those that are willing to keep going.
                        William Reed

Comment

UPDATE

I have made changes to the original schematic at F2 and F3, also at D2 we moved a wire. Also Added a 1kv .01 uf capacitor across the drain and source of F1. And Added a 600 v 10 amp diode across the drain and source for further protection.

MAKE SURE TO USE THIS SCHEMATIC!!!!

Cheers
                          Matt
                          Hi Matt

Thank you for the update but a couple questions these 1kv 0.01 uf capacitor and 600 v 10 amp diode are any or there is a special one I mean the capacitor can I use ceramic and also the diode is ultra-fast or normal diode just 600v 10A?
                          And about the transformer I am using now #23AWG shall I go with thicker wire or I will stick with this gauge after what happened to your transformer?

Ehsan
                          Take the wisdom even from the mouths of the insane

Comment

Matthew
                            I have seen some of what you have done and I know you know what you are after. It will work so thanks for not giving up on it or those that are willing to keep going.
                            Well you have seen it first hand. This one does the same thing but it is slightly less powerful and alot more controllable. I have several times now been able to make it work correctly with other circuits, I know this one is worth going after even if the load is not so big.

Originally posted by ehsanco1062 View Post
                            Hi Matt

Thank you for the update but a couple questions these 1kv 0.01 uf capacitor and 600 v 10 amp diode are any or there is a special one I mean the capacitor can I use ceramic and also the diode is ultra-fast or normal diode just 600v 10A?
                            And about the transformer I am using now #23AWG shall I go with thicker wire or I will stick with this gauge after what happened to your transformer?

Ehsan
                            The diodes can be Ufast but it doesn't matter just high voltage is really what your looking for 2 amp is good enough. Thats just aa diode I had on hand. The cap is ceramic .1uf.
                            Both are probably not needed with most smaller setups but it won't hurt to have them.

Just measure the resistance of your wire. If its over .1 ohm you probably should do something bigger.

Matt

Comment

The diodes can be Ufast but it doesn't matter just high voltage is really what your looking for 2 amp is good enough. Thats just aa diode I had on hand. The cap is ceramic .1uf.
                              Both are probably not needed with most smaller setups but it won't hurt to have them.

Just measure the resistance of your wire. If its over .1 ohm you probably should do something bigger.

Matt

Hi Matt

My wire resistance is 1.6 ohm so I have to unwind the transformer and get a bigger wire maybe #20AWG but in this case I want be able to wind 12m long so what should I do?

Ehsan

Comment

• Hi Matt

1.6 ohm is the resistance of one wire and the resistance of the 8 wires is 0.6 ohm so I don't know which one you mean?

Ehsan

Comment

Working...
                                X