This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Matt

I just blow up my second fet by doing the changing of the lines of the driving board so I am out until I will get new fet and I will fixed the problem with the driving board and then hook up the new fet but that will delay me at lest two weeks.
    Ehsan
    Take the wisdom even from the mouths of the insane

Comment

• I have learned the hard way that ANY kind of wiring error will blow out the DC to DC converter on the driving board, so my first priority is to make darn sure my wiring is right. Then test the DC to DC converter by checking the voltage on both sides of it. Then connect it to a single fet and use that circuit to turn on a light. Once I have the light turning on like I want it to, connect up the transformer circuit. But make sure the board and the fet are BOTH working first.
      “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
      —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

• Originally posted by ehsanco1062 View Post
        Hi Matt

I just blow up my second fet by doing the changing of the lines of the driving board so I am out until I will get new fet and I will fixed the problem with the driving board and then hook up the new fet but that will delay me at lest two weeks.
        Ehsan
        How do you know the fet is blown up?

Matt

Comment

• Testing a MOSFET

Testing a MOSFET

Testing a MOSFET - YouTube

Also,
          SCR Tester from a Flashlight
          SCR Tester from a Flashlight

"I design and test high power equipment that uses large SCRs (silicon controlled rectifiers). Sometimes one will go out. I use 6 in a three phase bridge configuration and if one goes out, its difficult to find the bad one without taking them all out. You can make a "in circuit" tester out of a flashlight."

Testing Mosfets - YouTube

IndianaBoys
          Last edited by IndianaBoys; 07-11-2012, 08:14 PM. Reason: Add link

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
            How do you know the fet is blown up?

Matt
            I simply take Wire from the pose give of 12 v battery and connect it to the drain of the MOSFET and form the source to a 12v bulb and from the bulb to the negative of the battery the bulb lit and it shouldn't lit if it is ok the good one need to switch it on by connect 9vbattery and take the positiv from the battery and connect it to the Gate and take the negative of the battery a d connect it to source the bulb should lit continually and when tuch the source and the gate at the same time the bulb should go of so when I did the test the bulb go on with out drive from the gate.

Comment

• Nope thats backwards

Come out of the HOT of the battery go into the load.
              Come out of the load go into the drain.
              Come out of the source and go to ground on the batt.

Now connect the Gate to the hot you should come on. Then connect the gate to the ground you should go off.

The way you have it hooked up the gate will 24 volt to turn on and 12 to turn off. Its called high side driving.

Those big old Fets are hard to blow. If you did it we need to find out why and add some protections against it. Can you describe what you were doing when you blew the FET, if its blown?

Matt

Comment

Nope thats backwards

Now connect the Gate to the hot you should come on. Then connect the gate to the ground you should go off.

The way you have it hooked up the gate will 24 volt to turn on and 12 to turn off. Its called high side driving.

Those big old Fets are hard to blow. If you did it we need to find out why and add some protections against it. Can you describe what you were doing when you blew the FET, if its blown?

Matt
                Hi Matt

I did as you said:

And the light comes on without connecting the hot of the battery to the Gate.
                I am sure its blown all I did is changing the code from the code that I have been playing with until I get the values that you said go ahead and use the final code and when I used the final code it happen that the cap keep charging so I had to stop the process otherwise the cap will blow so I turn of the basic stamp from the switch that control the hot that goes to the basic stamp but in the test when I used another channel for the second FET even if I turn the power of the stamp the cap keep on charging so I disconnect the power from the both battery by the switch I have to control the ho of the primaries but the problem is that the FET1 is the one that get blow not the one that I change its channel from the driving board ,that’s exactly what happened

Ehsan

Comment

• OK sounds like it is blown.

It serial switch between the batteries that is blown right?

I got another arrangement I am trying out today hopefully If I can get it done between batch's of tomato sauce. LOL

If it works out I'll get the info up. So don't order anything yet.

Matt

Comment

• Hi all

This is the video before the FET blown and before I change the channel of the second FET you can notice that there was still oscillating on the scop if you concentrate:

scalar charger part the cap dont dumping - YouTube

Ehsan

Comment

• Code:
                      SW VAR Word
                      CD VAR Word
                      DO
                        SW = 0
                        DO UNTIL SW = 160
                          PULSOUT 0, 7500
                          PULSOUT 10,7000
                          SW = (SW + 1)
                        LOOP
                        HIGH 1 ' Turn on Cap dump
                        PULSOUT 0, 7500
                        LOW 1 'Turn off Cap Dump
                      LOOP
                      I simplified the code. So try this it should be set.

MAKE SURE!!! Pin one is on your cap dump FET.

Matt

Comment

Code:
                        SW VAR Word
                        CD VAR Word
                        DO
                          SW = 0
                          DO UNTIL SW = 160
                            PULSOUT 0, 7500
                            PULSOUT 10,7000
                            SW = (SW + 1)
                          LOOP
                          HIGH 1 ' Turn on Cap dump
                          PULSOUT 0, 7500
                          LOW 1 'Turn off Cap Dump
                        LOOP
                        I simplified the code. So try this it should be set.

MAKE SURE!!! Pin one is on your cap dump FET.

Matt
                        Hi Matt
                        Thank you for the code but I have only one FET can I use another FET it’s not like the one I use in my tests I just salvage it from TV its 600v 8A?and I have 4 Mosfets they are 900v 5Aand I have three of these Mosfets IXTP50N25T-ND ,I ordered them from digi-key by mistake they are 250V 50A and I still not sure how to test my dc-dc converter but I will try to find the data for it and see how I will test it .
                        But the question is can we used different kind of FETs on our experiment the scalar charger?
                        You mean pin 1 one stamp?

Ehsan

Comment

• The 250v 50 amp will work.

VBSD2-S5-S15-SIP CUI Inc | 102-2098-ND | DigiKey

Thats data sheet. Go the second to the last page it has pinout.

Matt

Comment

• Hi Matt
                            I tried to removed the DC-DC converter to test it out of the board but I couldn't and I am glad I couldn't so I decided to test it on board and it seems that all my dc-dc converter are ok so where is my short?
                            why I blowing FETs?

Ehsan

Comment

• That would be a spike...

Remind me again.. Was it the FET between the batteries or the cap dump Fet?

Matt

Comment

That would be a spike...

Remind me again.. Was it the FET between the batteries or the cap dump Fet?

Matt
                                Hi Matt

It's the FET between the batteries for the second time

Comment

Working...
                                X