This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Dave

Today I have my new 7.5Ah AMG battery and if you could help me with the procedures that I have to do to kill this battery in order to use it in the third position.

Ehsan
    Take the wisdom even from the mouths of the insane

Comment

• ehsanco1062,

That's exactly what we are trying to figure out....A process folks can use to "properly" kill a battery so it can be used in this setup. We don't KNOW for sure, so we are trying different things. The first thing I would suggest is putting a load on it to drain it down to nothing and leave it there for at least a couple days.
      “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
      —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

• Originally posted by Turion View Post
        ehsanco1062,

That's exactly what we are trying to figure out....A process folks can use to "properly" kill a battery so it can be used in this setup. We don't KNOW for sure, so we are trying different things. The first thing I would suggest is putting a load on it to drain it down to nothing and leave it there for at least a couple days.

....Put it the freezer for a couple of day.

I am getting ready to try mine. They are hard to kill.

Matt

Comment

• Simple trickle charging will kill an AGM battery rapidly

This may be another method to add to the list:

AGM batteries (John De Armond)

1) AGM requires precise charge control. There is very little room
          for error. Simple trickle charging will kill an AGM battery rapidly

IndianaBoys

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaBoys View Post
            This may be another method to add to the list:

AGM batteries (John De Armond)

1) AGM requires precise charge control. There is very little room
            for error. Simple trickle charging will kill an AGM battery rapidly

IndianaBoys
            2) Engine alternator killed AGM battery!
            A simple automotive regulator will either not charge the battery properly or will over- charge it and that cause rapidly drying it out .
            The old cars they don't have smart regulator so they can overcharge these battery and dry it out rapidly and kill it .
            That's what the report said ,this report is an old one (written in 2001).
            Any suggestion?

Ehsan

Comment

• Hey Turion
              You may want to check this out http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...tml#post207179
              he's using pulley's (levers) for an energy gain.
              Half of the Answer is knowing the right Question

Comment

• Hey Dave,

What's the go with the voltages (DMMs) in your latest video - torque test.

Got your "MAGIC" happening again ?

Penno

Comment

• Dave, I saw the latest vid you made posted at overunity. One suggestion to keep the torque device stable. Either grease the rubber (?) band a little or use something smoother like a piece of rope that won't grab the pulley like rubber would. Tie a couple knots on the end of a rope and you can probably use the same 'S' hooks to attach it. You may have already figured out a solution but just offering the thought so you can get a better reading on the scales and current draw.
                  There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

• Dead Battery

So... I have been trying all week to kill a 18 amp hour 12 volt AGM. And its stubborn for sure.
                    I started out draining it to 0 volt. Then I shorted the poles and put it in a freezer for 12 hours. Charged it back up to 16 volt. Let it rest then discharged it again and started over. Takes about 24 hours.
                    I did that 6 times.

The battery started showing good signs of being a qualified battery for the 3bgs. I ran a 48 volt primary bank into it with a 2 amp load for 1 hour and lost nothing. I did that 3 times and on the third time I lost .02 volt and the battery is starting to show signs that it is holding a charge again.

So back to the destruction. Feel free to follow it cause I think it is working.

As far the rig goes the plan is to run a pulse circuit across a motor timed with half a commutator section. I'll have that rig drive a generator which will be pulsed for load at the same rate and the power from it will be discharged into the dead batt while running some kind of load. We'll see how it works from there.

Matt

Comment

• Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
                      So... I have been trying all week to kill a 18 amp hour 12 volt AGM. And its stubborn for sure.
                      I started out draining it to 0 volt. Then I shorted the poles and put it in a freezer for 12 hours. Charged it back up to 16 volt. Let it rest then discharged it again and started over. Takes about 24 hours.
                      I did that 6 times.

The battery started showing good signs of being a qualified battery for the 3bgs. I ran a 48 volt primary bank into it with a 2 amp load for 1 hour and lost nothing. I did that 3 times and on the third time I lost .02 volt and the battery is starting to show signs that it is holding a charge again.

So back to the destruction. Feel free to follow it cause I think it is working.

As far the rig goes the plan is to run a pulse circuit across a motor timed with half a commutator section. I'll have that rig drive a generator which will be pulsed for load at the same rate and the power from it will be discharged into the dead batt while running some kind of load. We'll see how it works from there.

Matt
                      Hi Matt

Good work I will try this on my new 7.5Ah AMG battery and see how it will react .
                      Did you used any farther circuitry (MOSFET or any thing else) or just the old setup ?
                      Why you keep charge and discharge the battery after you put it in freezer?is it to see that the battery will hold for the charge or what and if you used another circuit could you please post it?
                      Thank you

Comment

• I'll post the circuit once I know the results. But I have yet to kill the battery.

These little things are pretty amazing. Its an 18 amp hour battery.

I can pull 16 amp out of it between 13.3 volt and 8 volt. Between 8v and 7v I get almost 40 more amp. Then between 7v and 0 I get about 6 more amp. All at a 2 amp load.

So today I waited for 8 volt then I short the battery across a shunt and pulled 45 amp for 2 minutes. The pole heated up pretty bad and the plastic was looking soft so unhooked it. I put the 2 amp load on it to kill it and it went back to 7.45v.

I thought from reading the info posted above that these batteries should fragile in there charge and discharge cycle, they must have come up in the world since that was wrote.

Matt

Comment

• Hot Charge

Matt,
                          Maybe it's the heavy hot charging that kills them. Not heavy discharge.
                          _

Comment

• Well... I doing both. Take a battery down too zero it should die. Charge it up to 16v and let it cook it should die. I do not even get gassing anymore.

This thing just keeps getting better.

Beats me, I'll just keep it up and hope for the best.

Comment

• Though not AGM-related, i destroyed a new 12Ah lead-acid battery in one of those jump-start thingies after just a couple of goes at starting a old car that had no battery of its own - it attempted to turn the engine, then nothing. At first I thought it was just a bad connection but it appears the current-draw was too much for it and something went 'open' inside!

It's actually not a complete write-off either, after being left standing for a few months, I was surprised to find it would take a charge of sorts from a car-battery charger. I left a little dc motor running on it for ages and calculated that it pretty much had managed a full charge. But try pulling anything more that an amp or do and it rapidly dies. I forgot to take the motor off it the last time i tried this and now the battery refuses to take any charge whatsoever.

I was actually going to upload a little video here regarding that - probably all here are using 'bad' batteries and find changes in tenths of a volt significant - NOT a criticism, merely an observation - my faulty battery's output changes by VOLTS under load, speeding up and down as it runs! So some of the voltage variations being reported may have a similar cause. As it was recorded with a phone, the video quality is appalling (being 3gp) and the sound quality even worse, possibly because it's designed only to record frequencies in the vocal-range. Anyway, you may download it from http://ubuntuone.com/551tZVy19850LRngK3Q4rJ if you're feeling really bored.

Comment

• After letting my battery #3 set for the last couple days while I was working on some other projects, the magic is back. It took some adjusting of the timing and disconnecting two of the coils on the armature, but I got the motor to run and the voltage in the secondaries to go up. I immediately shut everything down and will wait a couple days before starting it up and then make a video. This tells me that pulsing the motor is important to success as well as the AGM battery. I am trying to tighten everything up as far as the possible adjustments go, so it can't get out of its current configuration. Then we will see what happens.
                                “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
                                —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

Working...
                                X