Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have posted videos of my setup before, and can do it again, showing starting voltages, but doesn't do much good to show ending voltages since I can't show a video of a continuous 10 hour run. Could add a photo of those ending voltages I guess.

Just talked to Matt on the phone. One of the things we want to experiment with is the fact that the buffer battery seems to want to climb. So what Matt suggested is I use 2 of my 3.5 amp hour batteries (which are brand new, haven't been conditioned, and may not work) as the primaries and several 18.5 amp hour batteries that have been charged (and then discharged through my meter to see how much power they put out) as the buffer batteries wired in parallel. It might be of some interest to folks that I can run my motor with a 12 volt 25 watt load on the motor, the inverter with a 18.5 watt load on it, and charge up a BANK of discharged batteries..while my primaries don't go down. Of course I don't know that I can DO that, but it would be an interesting test!

Dave
    “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
    —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

• So I spoke to David on the phone but anybody should feel welcome to try...

The best test would be to take 2 small batteries like 3.5 to 7 amp hour for the primaries and use what ever for the buffer batts. Maybe 2-3 times the capacity of the primaries.
      Then load the primaries so they sit around 14.2, a safe charging voltage for AGM's. and see of the primaries still hold the voltage while not only running the motor and its load but the inverter and its load as well, but also charging larger batteries on the buffer end.

If we can see all 3 things out of this system we can for sure take it to point that can't be argued with.

Cheers
      Matt

I guess I owe Dave a coke
      Last edited by Matthew Jones; 08-15-2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Matt,
        If you owe me a coke, I don't even want to THINK about what I owe you!
        “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”

Comment

• We posted the same thing at the same time.

Matt

Comment

• A Motor Widow's Tale of Woe

Hello. This is Turion's wife, and you can call me "Turionna."

You GUYS -- PLEASE! Let him GO, for cryng out loud! The children are asking if they have a father. The garbage hasn't been taken out in weeks. The neighbors asked if our new landscaping is "jungle style." And I've forgotten what he even looks like. All I know is that I hear motors running constantly in the basement, and I wonder if my marriage was all a dream.

If you see him, will you tell him his wife says "Hi"? Also, if you have a picture, please send. It would be very helpful if he appears again.

(Full disclosure: I have permission of "the man" himself to post this.)

Comment

• What's This?

Originally posted by Turion View Post

You GUYS -- PLEASE! Let him GO, for cryng out loud! The children are asking if they have a father. The garbage hasn't been taken out in weeks. The neighbors asked if our new landscaping is "jungle style." And I've forgotten what he even looks like. All I know is that I hear motors running constantly in the basement, and I wonder if my marriage was all a dream.

If you see him, will you tell him his wife says "Hi"? Also, if you have a picture, please send. It would be very helpful if he appears again.

Really? Turion, your wife doesn't cut the grass? Then you go and let her out of the closet to type on your computer? What kind of FE researcher are you anyway? Next, you'll be cooking meals. Incredulous! You should know better. How can you be expected to change the world if you have to do chores around the house. It's just not right! Well I, for one, will just have no part of it. Stay focused, be strong, be true to yourself, and go hang up that apron, for Pete's sake.

Oh, and then,

Randy
              _

Comment

• Speechless

Originally posted by Turion View Post

I'm speechless Turion.

I get party favors while I work at my bench and then I send her off to paint pictures for me to sell so I can pay for my FE habit.

Wait. This is just between us guys right? You don't let your wife read these posts right? You won't ever tell my wife I said this right?

Comment

• Get a very heavy Computor

ooooooooohhh
                  Be careful fellahs...or your PC could suffer the fate of My lap top some years back.
                  She Chucked it into the Small river behind the house

Sigh.........

Thx
                  Chet
                  If you want to Change the world
                  BE that change !!

Comment

• Originally posted by RAMSET View Post
                    ooooooooohhh
                    Be careful fellahs...or your PC could suffer the fate of My lap top some years back.
                    She Chucked it into the Small river behind the house

Sigh.........

Thx
                    Chet
                    Ok, I lied about everything but two words, "paint pictures", and she mostly does that just for fun and learning.

Comment

• Too Much.

Dear Turionna, please go easy on your man, he is a very special Guy, and cares deeply for humanity.

@ all, you guys are having way too much fun over here!!

Warmest Regards Cornboy.

Comment

• Fun

Originally posted by Cornboy 555 View Post
                        Dear Turionna, please go easy on your man, he is a very special Guy, and cares deeply for humanity.

@ all, you guys are having way too much fun over here!!

Warmest Regards Cornboy.
                        If you think our jesting is fun, you should replicate this simple build! THAT is where the fun really begins! To further demystify our more successful runs. A couple of us are using the Unite, MY1016, 350watt Razor scooter motor. That specific, stock motor is consistent with good results. Unite makes 3 different sizes, that I know of and tried, the 350watt seems to work the best, so far.

I use 7ah AGMs, so my results are quickly measurable. Others have use larger AGMs with good results. I have noticed certain thermal limitations to my small batteries when loads get over a couple hundred watts. Balance becomes harder to maintain. I just got my hands on a pair of larger, 18Ah "bad" batteries to use as my transducers. I'll let you know if that stabilizes my larger loads. Lab time!
                        Good Luck All,
                        Randy
                        _

Comment

• I'll be posting a video in just a few minutes, but wanted to share the results here for anybody interested. I had two 18 amp hour AGM's that were perfectly good and decided to kill them (I didn't KNOW the guy at Batteries Plus was going to sell me a butt load of bad ones!!) I hooked them in parallel to an 11 amp load for a week. (thought it was 25 but it was 11) Then I shorted them out with the BIG resistor we were using earlier in the thread. Matt may remember the part number since he was the first to use it, but I don't. I did that for a week.

Today I hooked them up to my Transducerizer Mark I, Pro Model (an 18.5 @ 4.9 amp output power supply pulsed through a 21194 transistor and 100 ohm resistor by my Arduino for 1/10 of a second on time and 9/10ths of a second off time.) The two batteries were connected in parallel. What better way to match your transducers right? I basically pulsed them most of the day today, except for when I was shopping or eating lunch. Didn't run it while I wasn't around. Right now it is holding at -.05 volts on BOTH batteries. I had to bring them BOTH down to -3 volts to get them to hold at -.05, so you should be aware of that if you are going to kill some batteries of your own.

Now....I have yet to run these two batteries as transducers, and unfortunately I am going up to my property for the weekend and then leave for 10-14 days in AZ to visit my daughter who is having a baby, so I won't be able to test them in the setup and see if they work until I get back....

BUT, I am taking my whole setup with me, including batteries, motor, generator, meters, TWO laptops, the Arduino. battery charger and power supply, so I can show my dad and my son the engineer. Unfortunately I will be spending the first couple days at my folks place and they are off the grid, with no internet or phone service out in the sticks. Although if I go out on the second floor deck and hang over the railing and reach around the corner of the house, I can get ATT on my phone. So if we have a good run with these, I will let you all know somehow. By midweek I will be back in civilization and can do a run or two and see how they work. So probably Wednesday or Thursday I will know for sure.

I don't see why they wouldn't work, but I guess we will find out. And if making NEGATIVE (Transducers) RESISTORS is this easy, maybe we will have to go into the business.

Home Made Transducers - YouTube

Dave

Comment

• Reading cool joule topic on tinman forum i have found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvKa...e_gdata_player seem very similar to 3 battery set up splitting negative
                            Ciao Luca

Comment

• Originally posted by tachyoncatcher View Post
                              I use 7ah AGMs, so my results are quickly measurable. Others have use larger AGMs with good results. I have noticed certain thermal limitations to my small batteries when loads get over a couple hundred watts. Balance becomes harder to maintain......
                              Randy
                              How are you measuring? With the motor at a dead stop holding the shaft I can only get about 80 watt through it with 2 seven amp hour batteries for the primaries and 1 seven amp hour for the buffer.

That a far shot from a couple of hundred watts...

Matt

Comment

• Hmmm

Originally posted by Matthew Jones View Post
                                How are you measuring? With the motor at a dead stop holding the shaft I can only get about 80 watt through it with 2 seven amp hour batteries for the primaries and 1 seven amp hour for the buffer.

That a far shot from a couple of hundred watts...

Matt
                                Mat,
                                I am not interested in proving anything to anybody except myself, but I will answer any questions I can in the spirit of open source. I measure like everyone else, with DMs, a watt meter, an old analogue osc scope and so on. I have a light bar with 6 different size lights that I use for resistive loads. 12-200watt. I also use a watt meter on my inverter so I have easy addition of all the various lights when I'm testing.

To address a stationary motor I will share results that I have previously shared. A stationary DC PM motor is a choke with a iron core and will have various core saturations dependent on the position of the stator to the PMs when testing. It can also have more coils engaged in parallel due to bridging of two segments on the commutator with the brushes. Regardless of all that, a stationary motor is a choke. My tests have shown me that a choke in place of the motor, with this system, does not work. A stationary magnetic field in not enough. A stationary magnetic field that collapses at timed intervals is not enough. The moving motor and its moving and collapsing magnetic fields are important in this system.

I test with "hundreds" of watts every day that I test. My goal is to scale this up. It's a balancing act. I need to better understand the fundementals that are driving this system so balance becomes nothing more than a calculation. I can easily show you the 3BGS system driving loads I spoke of. My motor is moving. That's the key to larger loads. In the spirit of open disclosure, I will put up a video of the 3BGS running "hundreds" of watts.
                                Happy Experimenting,

Randy
                                _

Comment

Working...
                                X