X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The FUSE THE FUSE

Originally posted by Hoppy View Post
    Michel

Yes, just as per a normal SG monopole configuration.

Your cap is ideal for the power lines. I suggest you fuse your drive PSU / battery at about 10 Amps on the output side if you run at 24V with over 16 strands. Don't neglect this fuse as it could save you from a melt down if a transistor short circuits. This happened to me so I know the mess it can cause!

Make sure you have some big batteries if you use a lot of power strands. Golf cart types with 'wet' cells are better than big gel types but you probably already know this.

Clive
    I bought some 5 amp breakers... because of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53SWRJJYEgw
    See my experiments here...
    http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

Originally posted by theremart View Post
      I bought some 5 amp breakers... because of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53SWRJJYEgw
      Hi Mart

After watching your video, I added fuses on my two running SSG, thanks for the warning !

Michel

Comment

Hi Mart,

Good video and advice!.

What is that computer program you use to chart the voltage rises? Or do you do that manualy and then tabulate it?

Cheers,

Steve.

P.S. Clive/Hoppy, thanks for all you explanations about the circuit. Druide, your schematics is very well layed out, if it's ok with you I'm going to replicate this circuit and do some test. I'll let you know how it turns out.
        Last edited by dambit; 11-09-2008, 06:08 AM.
        You can view my vids here

http://www.youtube.com/SJohnM81

Comment

Originally posted by dambit View Post
          Hi Mart,

Good video and advice!.

What is that computer program you use to chart the voltage rises? Or do you do that manualy and then tabulate it?

Cheers,

Steve.

P.S. Clive/Hoppy, thanks for all you explanations about the circuit. Druide, your schematics is very well layed out, if it's ok with you I'm going to replicate this circuit and do some test. I'll let you know how it turns out.
          Thank you Steve, it's the first time I'm using software to lay out a circuit schematic, it does a real neat job! I hope this will help those who want to replicate this circuit, it's my little contribution to this open source engineering community.

Keep on sharing open source engineering

Michel

Comment

RE: Charting program.

[QUOTE=dambit;34462]Hi Mart,

Good video and advice!.

------------------------------------------------

I am using the CBA II

West Mountain Radio - CBA Support

I am thinking of rebuilding my 4 coiler from 100 scratch. I think I want what Clive has a solid state version that can charge golf cart batteries. the circuits I have built thus far can't take 3 amps. Soo... I am going to think about this for awhile. I need to figure out what I want to achieve.

Clive, does your version give you over 100%? Can you generate excess electricity with your setup?

I am wondering what the advantages are for that large a SS setup...
            See my experiments here...
            http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

[QUOTE=theremart;34515]
              Originally posted by dambit View Post
              Hi Mart,

Good video and advice!.

------------------------------------------------

I am using the CBA II

West Mountain Radio - CBA Support

I am thinking of rebuilding my 4 coiler from 100 scratch. I think I want what Clive has a solid state version that can charge golf cart batteries. the circuits I have built thus far can't take 3 amps. Soo... I am going to think about this for awhile. I need to figure out what I want to achieve.

Clive, does your version give you over 100%? Can you generate excess electricity with your setup?

I am wondering what the advantages are for that large a SS setup...

Hi Mart

As with all Bedini energisers mine is electrically fairly inneficient at about 50 - 60% front to back. Any gain will be seen in the batteries as improved capacity over time through desulfation resulting in lower internal resistance.

It is important to keep the battery bank well conditioned with regular shallow charge / discharge cycles whilst not supplying the main load, so a practical use needs to found for the energy discharged, otherwise is is just wasted resulting in a reduction in overall system efficiency.

Clive

Comment

Recommended Operating Frequency ?

Do you have any recommendations a what frequency to run this blocking oscillator at?

Is there any data correlating operating frequency to charging efficiency?

Comment

Originally posted by mlindeblom View Post
                  Do you have any recommendations a what frequency to run this blocking oscillator at?

Is there any data correlating operating frequency to charging efficiency?
                  Hi mlindeblom

The frequency will be largely determined by the coil characteristics. On load my oscillator operates at around 2.2KHz.

I have no specific data but in general terms charging efficiency is determined by the level of current applied and as inductive discharge charging using the Bedini method is current limited, then charging efficiency is claimed to be lagely dependant upon battery condition rather than operating frequency. That is charging efficiency increases as the battery internal resistance decreases through conditioning which reduces sulfation. Having said this, the consensus is that charging efficiency improves the higher the frequency is up to about 15KHz.

Clive

Comment

Would PWM be an alternative?

Thanks for the informative responce re: frequency.

Would it be more effective to drive the coils with a PWM (pulse width modulator) at say 10KHz and control the current draw by adjusting the duty cycle?

IMO this would give better control over the process; however: I have not tried it and do not know how the results would compare.

I would expect to add a driver stage prior to the coil driving transistors to get sharper turn on/off.

Comment

Originally posted by mlindeblom View Post
                      Thanks for the informative responce re: frequency.

Would it be more effective to drive the coils with a PWM (pulse width modulator) at say 10KHz and control the current draw by adjusting the duty cycle?

IMO this would give better control over the process; however: I have not tried it and do not know how the results would compare.

I would expect to add a driver stage prior to the coil driving transistors to get sharper turn on/off.

I have tried the PWM approach and found the rotor trigger pulse can be replaced by a sharp PWM generated pulse but IMO the blocking oscillator works best. Its important that all ideas are experimented with, so that opinions can be based on 'hands on' experience.

Clive

Comment

Hi,
                        I have some big 200Ah truck batteries that are laying around and do not hold a charge for long time. So I decides to make one of my quintfilar coils into a Bedini solid state oscillator. The circuit is very simple, one strand of wire is used for triggering and is leading to bases of four transistors though a 50Ohm resistor. The other end of the trigger strand is connected to the ground. Then we have the input positive lead is connected to one side of remaining wire strands and the other end of those strands is connected to the collector of the transistor, so that each strand has its own transistor. All the transistor emiters are then tied together and go to the negative line of the power supply. Each collector of those transistors has its own 1n4007 diode that delivers the inductive spike to the charging battery + terminal. The charging battery minus terminal is connected to the power supply positive line. Here is a picture:

The coil has five strands of 200 feet long wire that makes about 450-500 turns. The core is copper coated welding rods. There are no resistors or diodes connecting the transistor base with emitter, because when I used a diode, I could not get the thing to self oscillate. Anyway, it works just fine. Each transistor makes the circuit consume 0.5-1.3A depending on the input voltage and charging battery state. So all the transistors together consume 2-3A constantly. And this charges the hell out of small 7Ah batteries, much much better than those SSG's I had that consumed just 200mA. Of course with those I would have to spend months to charge up a 200Ah battery, but with this selfoscillator it will be much faster. This setup does not selfstart, I have to wave a magnet near the coil core to make it start oscillating, but I found that if I place a high resistance resistor across the collector and base of the transistor, then it starts oscillating by itself when the power is turned ON. But I do not use that method for now. I found that the lower the base resistance, the smaller the oscillation frequency, but the bigger the amp draw. The transistors stay cool all the time, but my coil gets hot - up to 50 degree celsius, not too much, but still... The heat is coming from the coil core and is also heating up the coil wire. I attached a small fan that cools the coil for now, but I guess I have to use an air core coil, because the eddycurrents are responsible for the heat buildup in the core.
                        If you want, I can post the circuit that I am using.
                        Just wanted to share
                        Thanks,
                        Jetijs
                        It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Comment

Hi Jetijs thanks for the report and sharing man, if those batteries hold charge you have done it, some time they don't and they appear to be charged and the spikes ruins them, but i think you already know this . Just keep this in mind when using these experimental chargers, our spikes ruined nearly ruined our battery once.

Are you going to run any load tests at the c20 charge rate on them?
                          Ow and yup would love to know what your doing, i can compare to ours to see if it will do any damage

Comment

Originally posted by Jetijs View Post
                            Hi,
                            I have some big 200Ah truck batteries that are laying around and do not hold a charge for long time. So I decides to make one of my quintfilar coils into a Bedini solid state oscillator. The circuit is very simple, one strand of wire is used for triggering and is leading to bases of four transistors though a 50Ohm resistor. The other end of the trigger strand is connected to the ground. Then we have the input positive lead is connected to one side of remaining wire strands and the other end of those strands is connected to the collector of the transistor, so that each strand has its own transistor. All the transistor emiters are then tied together and go to the negative line of the power supply. Each collector of those transistors has its own 1n4007 diode that delivers the inductive spike to the charging battery + terminal. The charging battery minus terminal is connected to the power supply positive line. Here is a picture:

The coil has five strands of 200 feet long wire that makes about 450-500 turns. The core is copper coated welding rods. There are no resistors or diodes connecting the transistor base with emitter, because when I used a diode, I could not get the thing to self oscillate. Anyway, it works just fine. Each transistor makes the circuit consume 0.5-1.3A depending on the input voltage and charging battery state. So all the transistors together consume 2-3A constantly. And this charges the hell out of small 7Ah batteries, much much better than those SSG's I had that consumed just 200mA. Of course with those I would have to spend months to charge up a 200Ah battery, but with this selfoscillator it will be much faster. This setup does not selfstart, I have to wave a magnet near the coil core to make it start oscillating, but I found that if I place a high resistance resistor across the collector and base of the transistor, then it starts oscillating by itself when the power is turned ON. But I do not use that method for now. I found that the lower the base resistance, the smaller the oscillation frequency, but the bigger the amp draw. The transistors stay cool all the time, but my coil gets hot - up to 50 degree celsius, not too much, but still... The heat is coming from the coil core and is also heating up the coil wire. I attached a small fan that cools the coil for now, but I guess I have to use an air core coil, because the eddycurrents are responsible for the heat buildup in the core.
                            If you want, I can post the circuit that I am using.
                            Just wanted to share
                            Thanks,
                            Jetijs
                            Hi Jetijs

Nice setup. What a good idea cutting these terminal strips to make connectors. Wich wire gauge have you used ? It seems that there's three paralleled diodes at the collectors, is it for higher currents handling ? I'd like to see your circuit schematic.

Thanks for sharing.

Michel

Comment

Nice build Jetijs. I'm also curious to know if you've done any load testing to see if you get more bang for your buck with this configuration.

I'm sure you've noticed that the oscillations are faster without iron in your coil. I've done load testing with both core configurations and it seems there is very little difference in charging between the two. I think even the amp draw was similar--right around 400 mA. My SS is the cap dump version with 555 timer, trifilar coil 22 ga with each strand 100 ft.
                              Last edited by Shamus; 11-12-2008, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ashtweth View Post
                                Hi Jetijs thanks for the report and sharing man, if those batteries hold charge you have done it, some time they don't and they appear to be charged and the spikes ruins them, but i think you already know this . Just keep this in mind when using these experimental chargers, our spikes ruined nearly ruined our battery once.

Are you going to run any load tests at the c20 charge rate on them?
                                Ow and yup would love to know what your doing, i can compare to ours to see if it will do any damage
                                Good point Ash. The way I check that a design is not going to damage a battery is with the Bedini '1 ohm test'. This checks that the current output is limited to under 1 Amp when the battery is removed and replaced with a 1 ohm resistor. A reading of less than 1 volt across the resistor will pass this test. When scoped across transistor collector / base junction the waveform should collapse - reduce substantially in amplitude when the 1 ohm resistor is connected.

The problem arises when the battery reaches its fully charged voltage of and is then overcharged by excessive current. It is very easy to overcharge and damage gell batteries with badly designed chargers. I have built many variations based on the Bedini monopole energiser and damaged plenty of batteries. It is easy to make a radiant type charger that can charge the hell out of a battery but a good design is a compromise between charge rate and the ability to condition a battery in order to give it long life life and good service.

Clive

Comment

Working...
                                X