Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscillator circuits

@All
    There are many circuits that you can use on these cells. The only thing unusual about Penny is the gardening twist tie wire coils that I am using. It is basically a blocking oscillator circuit. Ancient. There are probably tiny chips now that you can buy at Mouser.com that do the same thing. Making Penny out of dollar store twist tie wire and a few Radio Shack parts was just fun and cheap-----but she works. I believe that you could make one without using a soldering iron by just twisting the component wire leads together----that would make it a "twisted twist tie wire oscillator".

Lidmotor
    Last edited by Lidmotor; 09-26-2011, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Great practical uses Patrick..i'm all about practical applications.
      Got a radio based aircraft finder idea on my RC Groups blog that would use these cells and a Hartley/Penny with a good aerial. It would use your AM radio naval direction finder method Lidmotor
      Even the light from these oscillators would be helpful for night flight finding, where the main battery may be ejected.
      Energy efficiency aims and to help folks who are not here at this forum to see that energy is moving off into the new realms of working with it, rather than supplying something with just about whatever a manufacturer states it requires.
      Funny thing that...people might buy a portable radio or whatever and then see what it needs to run it. 2xAA or 4xAA and that's as far as calculations go. How is a 1300W vacuum cleaner or microwave any better than a lower wattage model, simply because of the stated power draw ?!

Thanks b_rads. Previous rejuvenations have seen a few hours tops and I was expecting that. But this one has always been a good cell and is still trundling along nicely on its 4th day. When a simple salts cell starts to form emotional admiration then you know your wife is in need of extra attention
      I think we have to see what breaks them (cells not wives), as well as what makes them last a long time...that would be a nice boat to be in, to have cells that run and run until we do something that limits the energy.
      I'm not too sure where any cell would be too powerful or too efficient for a purpose, but some type of regulation of power output may be useful somewhere, sometime.
      Last edited by Slider2732; 09-26-2011, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• cream of tartar scource

At a cash and carry store i found Mccormicks creeam of Tartar. 25 oz for 16.70. dont know if its the right kind.
        Alan

Comment

• McCormicks Cream of Tartar

Originally posted by radiant1 View Post
          At a cash and carry store i found Mccormicks creeam of Tartar. 25 oz for 16.70. dont know if its the right kind.
          Alan
          I also saw the same product in the large 25oz container but no info or ingredient label.

So, I just spoke with McCormicks Consumer Affairs 1-800-632-5847 and they told me it is Potassium Bitartrate, then I spoke with McCormicks Regulatory Services 1-410-771-7301 and they will be sending me the MSDS sheet and Data Spec sheet to confirm what they use for chemical make up. When I get that info I will post it.

CHEMICAL NAMES FOR: Cream of Tartar

L (+) Potassium bitartrate

Potassium tartaric acid

Monopotassium tartrate

Potassium hydrogen tartrate

L (+) Monopotassium salt of tartaric acid

All these are different names for the exact same thing, frustrating but true!

CAS number: 868-14-14

EINECS number: 217-769-1

Chemical formula: C4H5 KO6

Molecular weight: 188.18188,18

Description: colorless crystals, white powder

Merck Index number: 7391

Refraction index: 1.511

Best Price for Alum in bulk so far is Alum Powder — Leaveners & Thickeners — Cooking & Baking — NutsOnline

I need this project to succeed as much as anyone.

Mike
          Last edited by Michael Kishline; 09-26-2011, 09:34 PM. Reason: More Info

Comment

• @Lidmotor

Your cells going up in voltage is not only happening to you but it has happen to me too. I've just tested one of my Crystal Glue cells that Have been shorted out for over 2 months now. This cell still shows no corrosion and normally when I check its voltage the most I get from the cell as soon as I remove the short is 700mV. Today as soon as i removed the short its started off at 1.200 Volts and started to climb beyond its original 1.412 volts. I did not expect this and figured that your cells getting a higher voltage was isolated event, but what ever is giving your cells a boost is giving my cells a boost too. All My cells are showing a increase above normal, some cell have even come back to life. I must say that this is spooky. I live in North Carolina and I believe that you live in California, so we are far apart so its not a isolated event. What ever is giving the extra boost should soon go away, but it can also come back.
            All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

• Same happening with ALL my cells. I posted on Lidmotor video about it too.

It is very interesting that for the last 2 weeks the activity has been very noticeable and substantial, not for one kind of cell BUT for all my crystal cells.

Fausto.

Comment

• Originally posted by plengo View Post
                Same happening with ALL my cells. I posted on Lidmotor video about it too.

It is very interesting that for the last 2 weeks the activity has been very noticeable and substantial, not for one kind of cell BUT for all my crystal cells.

Fausto.
                One theory I have is its the moon phases affecting the voltage. Today 8-26-11 the moon is 0% full. Current Moon Phase

So I think by the first of next month the cells should start to go back down due to the moon becoming more full. Moon Phases | StarDate Online

But this is just a educated guess. TT Brown did make mention that the moon affected the voltage on his rocks.
                All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

• And I live a little further away still, in Costa Rica, and the cell that I placed into a Hartley circuit, ended up with 60 mAs (higher than any cell I've made yet), after lighting an led on the hartley for the last three days, 24/7. I've never seen an oscillator help to charge a cell, or at least not drain them.
                  This is a cell that looks and works like a regular AA battery, as I used the can from an AA sized cell, an carbon rod anode, and quartz/carbon mix as the electrolyte. I like to use the AA battery holders, they work very well, and help to maintain presure on the contacts points.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• John B - if you see this post, have you witnessed such things with your cells ?
                    Perhaps it's solar activity related...after all, my own previously dormant and overly posted about AAA has been resurrected as well.

Quite the bizarre thing eh chaps
                    There's more, yesterday I showed my wife the very first cell I made, in a Coke can. It now will run a 'Penny' type oscillator ! She says that consciousness is rising and these are welcoming messages - or something.

Best personal hyposthesis at the moment though, is that the cells are exhibiting the diode effect of voltage generation when left well alone for extended periods.
                    Last edited by Slider2732; 09-27-2011, 01:21 AM.

Comment

• I also wanted to mention that last night it was raining very very hard here, and whatever causes those big huge storms to happen, may also give a little extra charge to the cells. As the two different metals are acting as antennas, and even carbon as in my case, can act like the positive anode of a metal antenna. Carbon and graphite can be especially useful in these cells.

Comment

• Guys,
                        Here is a video of the Metallic / Polycrystaline deposition layer upon the magnesium from my Partially inserted Crystal Cell #5 which I disassembled tonight. There is an OBVIOUS difference in the deposition layer which had the copper electrode adjacent to it and where the polarizing input was applied. The inability to place the electrode to seat fully actually was of diagnostic benefit.
                        The layer appears to be a semiconductor. Please watch the following video and I welcome any and all feedback.
                        Zn0 Crystal Cell #5 Mg/Polycrystal INTERFACE LAYER - YouTube
                        Very Best Regards,
                        Jim

Comment

• Thin oxide layers on metals

Originally posted by jehdds View Post
                          Guys,
                          Here is a video of the Metallic / Polycrystaline deposition layer upon the magnesium from my Partially inserted Crystal Cell #5 which I disassembled tonight. There is an OBVIOUS difference in the deposition layer which had the copper electrode adjacent to it and where the polarizing input was applied. The inability to place the electrode to seat fully actually was of diagnostic benefit.
                          The layer appears to be a semiconductor. Please watch the following video and I welcome any and all feedback.
                          Zn0 Crystal Cell #5 Mg/Polycrystal INTERFACE LAYER - YouTube
                          Very Best Regards,
                          Jim
                          @Jim
                          You may have uncovered one of the riddles as to why these crystal cells work. I also have noticed an oxide forming on some of the electodes in some of my best cells. John B. could probably tell us what is happening. It is probably forming some kind of semiconductor surface for the cell like you suspect.

@IB. Slider. Nick Z, Fausto
                          Not all of my cells went up in power. It isn't just the voltage but the amperage also. The Penny No. 1 oscillator is still at the loaded voltage that it was when I got home a few days ago. It is odd that this "event" is happening to other people scattered around the globe. Maybe moon phases or sun activity like you suggest. Maybe barometric pressure. I don't know. I keep expecting the "stove top" cell that is running Penny to drop off in power and go back to the way it was. If it does I will let everyone know.

Lidmotor

Comment

• Originally posted by minoly View Post
                            I have to agree on that mod Lid is using with JB's little oscillator ckt.
                            we did it earlier this summer, both with the SSG and the SS SSG.
                            Bedini mod - trigger Cap - YouTube
                            this is a nice way to amplify/delay the signal to the transistor. It can do much more than just lower the amp draw.
                            we have been using JB's SS SSG this summer off of a small 20watt solar panel with an 8 filer coil/8 transistors. they kept heating early on... in July we added this mod - the heat was gone and we were able to add more coils to the same panel. We easily charge 1k Ah 12 volts using this small 20 watt panel.
                            cool stuff.

Patrick
                            In addition to the bike wheel SSG, this is JB's SS SSG Ckt that we added the cap across the trigger resistance to:
                            Circuits and related methods for ... - Google Patents
                            we have used steel floral wire, cat 5, and various gauge magnet wire - all work - some better than others.

Patrick

Comment

• PS
                              Peter goes over Roger Andrews' blocking oscillator ckt
                              Roger Andrews Pat 3783550
                              in his Electric Motor Secrets DVD...
                              "This invention relates to electric motors and more particularly to a novelty motor which appears to have no source of power." -U S Patent

Patrick

PPS figure 11 is way cool
                              Last edited by minoly; 09-27-2011, 03:15 PM. Reason: PPS add on

Comment

• Cme

@Lidmotor,
                                There was a large CME (Coronal Mass ejection), the 25th & 26th of September.

Comment

Working...
                                X