No announcement yet.

Bedini Earth Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It would certainly be nice to see John B make a come back to this thread. Maybe he'll find the time to join us again, I hope so.

After seeing Slider's last video, I pulled out some my cells, that I have stashed away for those light outage moments. Although some of them are in various stages of oxidation, there is one in particular that is not oxidized at all. It is one of my capacitor can cells, one that has only activated carbon, a carbon rod, and is sealed on top with white glue. That cell is 3/4 inch by 1.5 inches, it has never seen a drop of water. It reads still having about 3/4 volt, and one or two mA, now months old, maybe even almost a year old. It would certainly light one of those penny oscillators, fairly brightly, but does not do much on my oscillators, just a slight lighting of the led. I just thought to mention this, for those wondering what happens to totally dry, no salt cells, after some months, or a year or so. Well, the answer is- Nothing happens. Of course if I add a few drops of water, it probably would show about 1 volt, 10mAs, or higher output. But, this is a dry no water cell, and will stay that way. A dozen or so of these cells will produce about 12 volts, but still only a couple of mAs.

Here's a short video that I just made, showing my Exciter circuit working with NO battery connected, just the capacitive link between my stray house wiring AC. I also show the circuit running on just 0. 75v from a older Carbon/Al cell, which is showing a wireless output of several inches away from the Exciter coil.
    Video:
    Exciter circuit running on NO battery. - YouTube

Comment

• I have done the underwater experiment like Plengo did a few pages back and have gotten some interesting results. Completely putting a certain pressure crystal cell under water would not short out the electrodes like you might think. The cell works well underwater. The one thing that I find hard to understand is that the cell's main ingredient is salt substitute which should be dissolved when exposed to water, but its not dissolving at all. So not only is the cell working underwater but its type of salt is not dissolving in the water.

Crystal Cell Works Under Water - YouTube
      All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

• graphite oxide

Hi guys,

as I am still hooked on the graphene battery I'm looking for methods how to produce your own graphite oxide. Unfortunately I can't find the following two papers. Maybe someone of you could help out.

Preparation of Graphitic Oxide - Journal of the American Chemical Society (ACS Publications)

ingentaconnect Simple Facile Route for the Preparation of Graphite Oxide and Gra...

Cheers,

Prato

ps:just found another video on graphene in batteries Making better batteries with metal oxide & graphene composites - YouTube

and another one^^ Nanotubes + ink + paper = instant battery - YouTube
        Last edited by prato_braun; 07-13-2012, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• Simple, Cheap Way to Mass-Produce Graphene Nanosheets

Prato Braun,

This looks like the simplest method I have found so far:

Simple, Cheap Way to Mass-Produce Graphene Nanosheets
          Simple, cheap way to mass-produce graphene nanosheets

ScienceDaily (Mar. 26, 2012) — Mixing a little dry ice and a simple industrial process cheaply mass-produces high-quality graphene nanosheets, researchers in South Korea and Case Western Reserve University report.

Graphene, which is made from graphite, the same stuff as "lead" in pencils, has been hailed as the most important synthetic material in a century. Sheets conduct electricity better than copper, heat better than any material known, are harder than diamonds yet stretch.

Scientists worldwide speculate graphene will revolutionize computing, electronics and medicine but the inability to mass-produce sheets has blocked widespread use.

A description of the new research was published the week of March 26 in the online Early Edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Jong-Beom Baek, professor and director of the Interdisciplinary School of Green Energy/Advanced Materials & Devices, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology, Ulsan, South Korea, led the effort.

"We have developed a low-cost, easier way to mass produce better graphene sheets than the current, widely-used method of acid oxidation, which requires the tedious application of toxic chemicals," said Liming Dai, a Kent Hale Smith professor of macromolecular science and engineering at Case Western Reserve and a co-author of the paper.

Here's how:

Researchers placed graphite and frozen carbon dioxide in a ball miller, which is a canister filled with stainless steel balls. The canister was turned for two days and the mechanical force produced flakes of graphite with edges essentially opened up to chemical interaction by carboxylic acid formed during the milling.

The carboxylated edges make the graphite soluble in a class of solvents called protic solvents, which include water and methanol, and another class called polar aprotic solvents, which includes dimethyl sulfoxide.

Once dispersed in a solvent, the flakes separate into graphene naonsheets of five or fewer layers.

To test whether the material would work in direct formation of molded objects for electronic applications, samples were compressed into pellets. In a comparison, these pellets were 688 times better at conducting electricity than pellets yielded from the acid oxidation of graphite.

After heating the pellets at 900 degrees Celsius for two hours, the edges of the ball-mill-derived sheets were decarboxylated, that is, the edges of the nanosheets became linked with strong hydrogen bonding to neighboring sheets, remaining cohesive. The compressed acid-oxidation pellet shattered during heating.

To form large-area graphene nanosheet films, a solution of solvent and the edge-carboxylated graphene nanosheets was cast on silicon wafers 3.5 centimeters by 5 centimeters, and heated to 900 degrees Celsius. Again, the heat decarboxylated the edges, which then bonded with edges of neighboring pieces. The researchers say this process is limited only by the size of the wafer. The electrical conductivity of the resultant large-area films, even at a high optical transmittance, was still much higher than that of their counterparts from the acid oxidation.

By using ammonia or sulfur trioxide as substitutes for dry ice and by using different solvents, "you can customize the edges for different applications," Baek said. "You can customize for electronics, supercapacitors, metal-free catalysts to replace platinum in fuel cells. You can customize the edges to assemble in two-dimensional and three-dimensional structures."

IndianaBoys

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaBoys View Post
            Prato Braun,

This looks like the simplest method I have found so far:

Simple, Cheap Way to Mass-Produce Graphene Nanosheets
            Simple, cheap way to mass-produce graphene nanosheets

ScienceDaily (Mar. 26, 2012) — Mixing a little dry ice and a simple industrial process cheaply mass-produces high-quality graphene nanosheets, researchers in South Korea and Case Western Reserve University report.

Graphene, which is made from graphite, the same stuff as "lead" in pencils, has been hailed as the most important synthetic material in a century. Sheets conduct electricity better than copper, heat better than any material known, are harder than diamonds yet stretch.

Scientists worldwide speculate graphene will revolutionize computing, electronics and medicine but the inability to mass-produce sheets has blocked widespread use.

A description of the new research was published the week of March 26 in the online Early Edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Jong-Beom Baek, professor and director of the Interdisciplinary School of Green Energy/Advanced Materials & Devices, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology, Ulsan, South Korea, led the effort.

"We have developed a low-cost, easier way to mass produce better graphene sheets than the current, widely-used method of acid oxidation, which requires the tedious application of toxic chemicals," said Liming Dai, a Kent Hale Smith professor of macromolecular science and engineering at Case Western Reserve and a co-author of the paper.

Here's how:

Researchers placed graphite and frozen carbon dioxide in a ball miller, which is a canister filled with stainless steel balls. The canister was turned for two days and the mechanical force produced flakes of graphite with edges essentially opened up to chemical interaction by carboxylic acid formed during the milling.

The carboxylated edges make the graphite soluble in a class of solvents called protic solvents, which include water and methanol, and another class called polar aprotic solvents, which includes dimethyl sulfoxide.

Once dispersed in a solvent, the flakes separate into graphene naonsheets of five or fewer layers.

To test whether the material would work in direct formation of molded objects for electronic applications, samples were compressed into pellets. In a comparison, these pellets were 688 times better at conducting electricity than pellets yielded from the acid oxidation of graphite.

After heating the pellets at 900 degrees Celsius for two hours, the edges of the ball-mill-derived sheets were decarboxylated, that is, the edges of the nanosheets became linked with strong hydrogen bonding to neighboring sheets, remaining cohesive. The compressed acid-oxidation pellet shattered during heating.

To form large-area graphene nanosheet films, a solution of solvent and the edge-carboxylated graphene nanosheets was cast on silicon wafers 3.5 centimeters by 5 centimeters, and heated to 900 degrees Celsius. Again, the heat decarboxylated the edges, which then bonded with edges of neighboring pieces. The researchers say this process is limited only by the size of the wafer. The electrical conductivity of the resultant large-area films, even at a high optical transmittance, was still much higher than that of their counterparts from the acid oxidation.

By using ammonia or sulfur trioxide as substitutes for dry ice and by using different solvents, "you can customize the edges for different applications," Baek said. "You can customize for electronics, supercapacitors, metal-free catalysts to replace platinum in fuel cells. You can customize the edges to assemble in two-dimensional and three-dimensional structures."

IndianaBoys
            Thanks!

As making a ball mill is very easy this option seems viable.
            How would you tread the graphene to make this battery?

[1203.0161] Self-Charged Graphene Battery Harvests Electricity from Thermal Energy of the Environment

Would diluting in water and laser scribing still make sense in order to get a flexible film?

Cheers,

Prato

Comment

• [QUOTE=prato_braun;201540]Hi guys,

as I am still hooked on the graphene battery I'm looking for methods how to produce your own graphite oxide. Unfortunately I can't find the following two papers. Maybe someone of you could help out.

Preparation of Graphitic Oxide - Journal of the American Chemical Society (ACS Publications)

Cheers,

Prato

Believe I found 1 of the files you were requesting:

Preparation of Graphitic Oxide

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view...d=4290837&da=y

Also, not sure regarding your graphene battery questions. Maybe someone will know:

1. How would you treat the graphene to make this battery?

2. Would diluting in water and laser scribing still make sense in order to get a flexible film?

IndianaBoys

Comment

• link not working

[QUOTE=IndianaBoys;201584]
                Originally posted by prato_braun View Post
                Hi guys,

Cheers,

Prato

Believe I found 1 of the files you were requesting:

Preparation of Graphitic Oxide

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view...d=4290837&da=y

Also, not sure regarding your graphene battery questions. Maybe someone will know:

1. How would you treat the graphene to make this battery?

2. Would diluting in water and laser scribing still make sense in order to get a flexible film?

IndianaBoys
                Thanks for the link but I can't open it without joining. Do you have another hoster e.g. script, dropbox or uploaded.to?

I think I'll write the doctor who invented the light scribing method and ask him about the details of his method and if he has an idea how to apply his material to the graphene battery.

Cheers,

Prato

Comment

• Originally posted by prato_braun View Post
                  Hi guys,

ingentaconnect Simple Facile Route for the Preparation of Graphite Oxide and Gra...

Cheers,

Prato

ps:just found another video on graphene in batteries Making better batteries with metal oxide & graphene composites - YouTube

This looks pretty easy to make Nanotubes

Synthesis of Carbon nanotube - YouTube

Comment

Thanks for the link but I can't open it without joining. Do you have another hoster e.g. script, dropbox or uploaded.to?

I think I'll write the doctor who invented the light scribing method and ask him about the details of his method and if he has an idea how to apply his material to the graphene battery.

Cheers,

Prato
                    Prato braun,

I loaded that pdf up there as it was free. I checked the link after uploading and all was ok. It was only after reading your reply that I realized I was still signed in when I checked it. I logged out and now understand what you are saying. PM me an email address and I will ship you the pdf if you want.

IndianaBoys

Comment

Hi guys,

Cheers,

Prato

thought this resonated well with the above info :

Power From The Air: Gizmo Captures Ambient Electromagnetic Energy To Drive Small Electronic Devices
                      Before It's News

Signs and symbols rule the world, not words nor laws.” -Confucius.

Comment

• Water Battery produces 110 volts - YouTube

Comment

• If anyone has not seen the big crystal cell at the 2012 conference here is a short video of it. It also has Marcus Reid's cells too!

Marcus Reid Crystl Batt/John B Giant Crystl Batt - YouTube
                          All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

• Hi, greetings to all!, I have been following along, good to see the big crystal cells and all the efforts of this thread.

I wrote an email to Touchstone semiconductor and have been experimenting with some of their harvesting circuits over the past months.
                            The company has decided to release a circuit to public domain at my request.
                            I received word today from the applications department is currently
                            at work in release of a staircase circuit.

The email ends with " let us see what we can devise around the TS3001, ok? "

I feel it is quite small to solder, I really appreciate that one of the leaders is
                            interested in doing this, I am hopeful this can enhance our crystal energy harvesting.
                            I did not expect they would be willing to spend time to help us.
                            Last edited by mikrovolt; 07-27-2012, 02:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ibpointless2 View Post
                              If anyone has not seen the big crystal cell at the 2012 conference here is a short video of it. It also has Marcus Reid's cells too!

Marcus Reid Crystl Batt/John B Giant Crystl Batt - YouTube
                              Hey IB,

Good find, what kind of power do these have

It looked like the blinking lights where on but the others where not?

Best of luck

Comment

• Originally posted by Allwest View Post
                                Hey IB,

Good find, what kind of power do these have

It looked like the blinking lights where on but the others where not?

Best of luck
                                I'm not sure of the power. This was the only video I found from the conference of them. It looks like a big version of Bedini's alum batteries. They got to be over a amp I would say.

Comment

Working...
                                X