Bedini Earth Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the Star Cell came about.

The devise being so closely related to piezo and (micro peltier) thermal energy harvesting technology it should be mentioned regarding
    the intentions of how this development came about.

This technology is open to the kitchen and holiday experimenter. The peltier technology will no doubt be looking closely at the star cell.
    No one on this forum planned to hack or reverse engineer peltier or piezo.
    It has been a systematic approach of investigating the John Hutchison cell by replicating and isolating its basic properties.

The Bedini earth light members have for the most part been concerned individuals that used their own money,
    time and resources to self educate themselves about alternative technology. John Bedini has lots of
    ideas at different stages of development on the back burner.
    In an effort to educate others about crystals and solid state energy,
    John Bedini made the star cells on the fly using a radio shack data logger in a series of you tube videos.
    the development of the star cell came about as an effort to help those interested in this field.
    Last edited by mikrovolt; 09-03-2011, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• Bedini Earth Light / Crystal Cell

Mikrovolt,
      Yes you have this right on target. The main thing here is what is going on in the cell. The group should see the importance of what happened here since the Earths energy is all wasted in heat all day long. This could take the place of Solar Panels except in very cold areas, but that could be overcome also.

Thanks Mikrovolt for your expert comment on this. To me it does not seem I have a enough time in one day, if we only lived 900 years I still would not have enough time.
      John Bedini
      John Bedini
      www.johnbedini.net

Comment

• All,

I decided to try latest Bedini's melted Epson salts battery. In doing that I also did a variation where I do not melt Epson and it is working wonders.

If shorted it will increase steadily the current and the voltage. Actually Shorting it with a very very low resistance wire causes the voltage to reverse. I don't even understand that.

It goes unloaded to 1.45v each small 1/2" copper cap size. 10 cells together in series and shorted goes to .2v and .8ma (800 micro-amps) and grows to .5v and 5ma (5000 micro amps) in a few minutes and continues to grow in both numbers.

I will let it sit shorted overnight just to see what happens to it. It looks like so far has no corrosion. Very little usage of Sodium Silicate, only used to glue the Epson crystals into the Mg and Cu.

video: Crystal Battery 3 - YouTube

Fausto.

Comment

• Originally posted by plengo View Post
          All,

I decided to try latest Bedini's melted Epson salts battery. In doing that I also did a variation where I do not melt Epson and it is working wonders.

If shorted it will increase steadily the current and the voltage. Actually Shorting it with a very very low resistance wire causes the voltage to reverse. I don't even understand that.

It goes unloaded to 1.45v each small 1/2" copper cap size. 10 cells together in series and shorted goes to .2v and .8ma (800 micro-amps) and grows to .5v and 5ma (5000 micro amps) in a few minutes and continues to grow in both numbers.

I will let it sit shorted overnight just to see what happens to it. It looks like so far has no corrosion. Very little usage of Sodium Silicate, only used to glue the Epson crystals into the Mg and Cu.

video: Crystal Battery 3 - YouTube

Fausto.
          Great job!

Where do you get you magnesium at?
          All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

• IB,

the magnesium foil I got from here (049.2 - Magnesium Foil Small Sheet - GalliumSource) and the magnesium rods from here (Magnesium Extruded Rod.

Fausto.

Comment

• Great work plengo.

Comment

• On this video I am showing the voltage reversal when the cells are shorted.

Crystal Battery 4 - YouTube

Fausto.

Comment

• In this solar evacuated tube the interface to a star cell even without effieciency will put out some serious watts

Evacuated tube heat pipe array - YouTube
                  Finished evacuated tube heat pipe in the sun - YouTube
                  making a heat pipe - YouTube

after you have this you need batteries and an R-Charger and your off the grid
                  and your getting another carton of epsom from the dollar store to cool your house.
                  Last edited by mikrovolt; 09-03-2011, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Epsom Salts Crystal Cell

Fausto,
                    When you made the cells and cooked them what was the voltage hot?
                    The Epsom Salts should react to heat so could you heat the cells and watch the voltage.

That rock hard Crystal works just like a Thermopile. The voltage should fall down when cool and rise when you heat it up. Put the cells you made on a black piece of painted tin or anything to gather heat from the sun, Should be inside a box with glass cover. My experiment was about which chemical does the heat conversion to electrical energy. Did you try any of this?
                    The corrosion is impurities in the Magnesium the salts attack that first.
                    Great Work Fausto
                    John B
                    John Bedini
                    www.johnbedini.net

Comment

• Heat for energy

Originally posted by mikrovolt View Post
                      In this solar evacuated tube the interface to a star cell even without effieciency will put out some serious watts

Evacuated tube heat pipe array - YouTube
                      Finished evacuated tube heat pipe in the sun - YouTube
                      making a heat pipe - YouTube

after you have this you need batteries and an R-Charger and your off the grid
                      and your getting another carton of epsom from the dollar store to cool your house.
                      Mikrovolt,
                      Yes, I have made these before to heat water so these would generate electrical power really quick with the Salt in them. I exploded 55 gallon drums with these pipes, that I used for heating. The drums were stainless steel but the safety valve failed to work. I don't think My wife will ever forget that. They exploded and blew the ceiling of the house out, science at it's best. But when it worked it would heat the whole house to 90 degrees. I did not use a bit of natural gas for 6 months for heating. As I said the earth receives this energy everyday and it is wasted on all the roads and everything else. Why not use it for electrical energy, it's free.
                      John B
                      Last edited by John_Bedini; 09-03-2011, 04:22 PM. Reason: edit
                      John Bedini
                      www.johnbedini.net

Comment

• Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
                        Fausto,
                        When you made the cells and cooked them what was the voltage hot?
                        The Epsom Salts should react to heat so could you heat the cells and watch the voltage.

That rock hard Crystal works just like a Thermopile. The voltage should fall down when cool and rise when you heat it up. Put the cells you made on a black piece of painted tin or anything to gather heat from the sun, Should be inside a box with glass cover. My experiment was about which chemical does the heat conversion to electrical energy. Did you try any of this?
                        The corrosion is impurities in the Magnesium the salts attack that first.
                        Great Work Fausto
                        John B
                        When hot I get around 1.8v to 1.9v, boiling hot. When I let them cool they drop to about 1.3 or 1.4v. Under load when hot they give from 100ma at connection to going down to a stable 20 to 10ma, than slowly, as it cools, goes to 100 micro-amp and stops at 50 micro-amps.

If heating the copper again, voltage rises to 1.8v or so and the whole process starts.

Just Epson salts no heat but applying pressure as you can see on my video, it works the best, so I decided to try another copper cap with just Epson salts and a foil of Magnesium in a spiral form for more surface area BUT no pressure. I put the Epson salts slowly so to fill the space. Voltage goes to 1.6v and shorted current is a miserable 10 micro-amps. That tells me that indeed pressure is important for this to work. So heating may increase the pressure and also as it cools expand and create a constant pressure cell where the cell becomes very sensitive to temperature.

Voltage is there just by the contact of Epson, Mg and Cu. Silica helps in keeping all together as a glue.

Is it possible that Hutchinson uses Galena and Silver to increase the conductivity in the cell and therefore reduce its internal resistance? While the Epson and Potassium from Rochelles brings the energy in?

I will put my first 4 cells (with melted Epson) on the sun and measure sporadically the voltage and current.

Fausto.

edit: The reverse in voltage was a mistake from my part. The meter was not perfectly calibrated. So when shorted it will show zero or close to zero but not negative.
                        Last edited by plengo; 09-03-2011, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• I just made two cells with epsom melt. The metals are copper and dipped galvanized bolt. I made one cell with more contact surface area than the other.

I am able to confirm the voltage increase when it is hot and drop as it cooled.

Hot - 1+ V
                          warm - 1+ V - .3V and dropping

When heat up, voltage increase again. We can conclude that the cell amperage depends on temperature.

The second test I'd like to do is wait till they both at the same temperature, then measure voltage. They should be identical. I will then short a 1 Ohm resistor to measure current. If current draw is higher in more surface area cell, then we can also conclude that amperage is proportional to temperature and surface area.

Comment

• Have to run but I'll post a quick observation I just did. I'll do this again to confirm.

When I heat up the steel, the voltage drop. When I heat up the copper, the voltage increase. I think the voltage is proportional to the difference in temperature between the anode and cathode.

Comment

John B. Check your e-mail please.

Comment

• Epsom Salt can be a very tricky girl to work with. She's made up of 7 molecules of water. At room temperature that water is pretty much firmly locked up in their houses, but heat the Epsom salt up and the water can run free. When the water is free is where the voltages start to show, so as you heat up the cell the more water can escape thus make a galvanic battery. As the Epsom salt cools the voltage gets lower due to the water going back into the crystal. I don't mean to come off sounding like a jerk to runin peoples fun but I figured it should be put out their.

I'm not going to say we should stop using Epsom salt, but the effects we're seeing can be explained. I have made this cell and it did produce voltage when first made but as it cooled the voltage got lower until it stop producing any voltage. Heating it back up opens the water from inside and the water will stay in the middle locked up for awhile which gives the appearance that the cell is producing power even when dry but allow it to dry for 24 hours without heating it and the cell will die.
                                All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Working...
                                X