Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First cell, now conditioning............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jstadwater View Post
    Thanks Jimmy,

I'm making a mental Lowe's note now...................got it! I can't wait to see my results with KOH use, if it's not here by mid-day tomorrow I'll probably run down to Lowe's, only about a mile away. What kind of cell design do you have? I'm always interested in new info.
    Hi Jstatwater;
    When you get to Lowe's they also carry KOH. It's in the red bottles marked "Hair clog remover".All these drain opener's are also available at Home Depot & Wal-mart. Red Devil Lye is also Sodium Hydroxide & is widely available(even Publix groceries).
    Al.
    Antiquer

Comment

Originally posted by jimmerjammer View Post
      Hi jstadwater,
      This is my first jump into electrolysis, etc.... So, I've built the Smack's booster. Just finished testing on my old car(66 impala- motor is already shot, so I'm not scared to take a chance...). But, I saw no improvement in mpg. I need to look further- I don't know where to find a cheap flowmeter, and I don't know how much current I'm set up for(2 tsp lye as per the instructions). Like you, I had difficulty finding many things and finally decided to run the car with booster just to see what I could get- then dial everything in later when I found the proper tools to verify everything.... My tool "wish list" is slowly getting shorter and shorter, so we're getting there..... Good luck to ya! Jimmy
      Hi Jimmerjammer!
      You can make a crude flo-meter using a 5-gal. bucket (or smaller) and a bottle of known volume. Fill the larger bucket with water. Then fill the smaller bottle with water & put in the larger one. Turn it upside down, stick the tube from your cell or bubbler into it & time how long it takes for the HHO to push the water out. You can then convert that volume/time to LPM or Qts. per minute or whatever.
      Mcmaster-Carr show some that might work for about $35.00.
      Al
      Antiquer

Comment

Thanks Al!

I will definitely do that.... With that much hydrogen, I just need to be safe and have good ventilation, right?(and of course- no sparks or other ignition sources....). Common sense, I know, but I feel like a sissy if the hydrogen isn't being "vacuumed" into the carburetor while its being produced....
        I also have an ammeter coming from harbor freight, but I might make a shunt resistor- type setup to measure my cell current via voltage drop..... we'll see....
        Anyhoo, thanks Al, and thanks to all for the info!

Jimmy

Comment

Originally posted by ashtweth View Post
          jstadwater, did you ANNEAL your tubes before commencing?

Ash
          Hi Ash,

Not yet on the annealing process, these are just test cells, still trying to figure which configuration to use of cell design. I made another cell, pics attached, still like my original "five shooter" open bath, but this time with a nuetral tube in between anode and cathode (all separated with natural rubber). Makes alot more gas than it did without the nuetral, still have to condition and fine tune of course. I observed gas bubbles generating from ALL surfaces except the outside of the outtermost tube (+positive). Just to see what would happen, I added enough KOH to pull about 14 amps and produced 1 liter of gas in 1 min. 15 sec., not bad for a non-conditioned cell only one day old......looks promising at least! I will, of course, be using a PWM and NOT brute force, just wanted to see.......I need to hook up with Redmeanie soon for some electronics. My spacing between the tubes is too far apart for the moment, but I'm fixing that tomorrow with another mod to my configuration. I will post more pics after I assemble the next design. Thank you, to everyone who posts info on this forum..............PRICELESS!!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jstadwater; 08-01-2008, 06:07 PM.
          IF IT DOESN'T EXIST, CREATE IT!!!

Comment

Hi Ash,

Not yet on the annealing process, these are just test cells, still trying to figure which configuration to use of cell design. I made another cell, pics attached, still like my original "five shooter" open bath, but this time with a nuetral tube in between anode and cathode (all separated with natural rubber). Makes alot more gas than it did without the nuetral, still have to condition and fine tune of course. I observed gas bubbles generating from ALL surfaces except the outside of the outtermost tube (+positive). Just to see what would happen, I added enough KOH to pull about 14 amps and produced 1 liter of gas in 1 min. 15 sec., not bad for a non-conditioned cell only one day old......looks promising at least! I will, of course, be using a PWM and NOT brute force, just wanted to see.......I need to hook up with Redmeanie soon for some electronics. My spacing between the tubes is too far apart for the moment, but I'm fixing that tomorrow with another mod to my configuration. I will post more pics after I assemble the next design. Thank you, to everyone who posts info on this forum..............PRICELESS!!

The cell looks great. I am building a cell like that. I am just waiting for the SS tube's to show up. Have you tried them in series? and what spacing are you going to use?
            Joey

Comment

Hey Sharkdive,

I actually hooked it up series last night, with wonderful results! I first tried - + -, figuring that since the hydro molecules are attracted to negative, I should get good gas by having two neg tubes. HOWEVER.....when I hooked it up + - +, I got WAY more gas production (on same 4 amp draw) , don't make sense to me.......but neither does paying over $4 a gallon for gas! .......so it works however it works!! To recap my progress..............

pics posted of both cells earlier in thread

First cell was "five shooter", using 1.5 in. inner tube and 2 in. outer tube
              inner 1.5 in. tube negative--------outer 2 in. tube positive
              Produced gas, but not impressive (although tubes were not conditioned)

Second cell was "five shooter", using 1 in. inner tube, 1.5 in. middle tube, and then 2 in. outer tube
              inner 1 in. tube negative, middle 1.5 in. tube nuetral, outer 2 in. tube positive
              Greatly increased gas production, thought I might be on to something.

Hooked up last night in the fashion described above and visual analogy was about twice any production I've accomplished to this point!

NOW.....seeing as how my tube spacing is at 1/4 inch (minus the thickness of a tube wall), I feel I need to close the gaps to 1/8 inch or less. I have SS tubing coming in today in diameter of 1.25 in. and 1.75 in. These tubes will slide in between the 1 in. and 1.5 in. tubes and also in between the 1.5 in. and 2 in. tubes. Runing these two new tubes as nuetral will decrease my amp draw and at the same time increase gas production (as demonstrated to me above). The spacing needed to be closer together anyway to obtain better production. I will post new pics as soon as I get the new tubes added. I have a digital camera that will shoot video, just no sound. I will probably need some advice from someone on how to get the videos uploaded, haven't had much luck with that in the past. Thanks again to everyone for helping out with advice and ideas, this is turning into an awesome venture!
              IF IT DOESN'T EXIST, CREATE IT!!!

Comment

could you tell me how to build the vic and what materials are needed thanyou bill57

Comment

Hey Sharkdive,

I actually hooked it up series last night, with wonderful results! I first tried - + -, figuring that since the hydro molecules are attracted to negative, I should get good gas by having two neg tubes. HOWEVER.....when I hooked it up + - +, I got WAY more gas production (on same 4 amp draw) , don't make sense to me.......but neither does paying over $4 a gallon for gas! .......so it works however it works!! To recap my progress..............

pics posted of both cells earlier in thread

First cell was "five shooter", using 1.5 in. inner tube and 2 in. outer tube
                  inner 1.5 in. tube negative--------outer 2 in. tube positive
                  Produced gas, but not impressive (although tubes were not conditioned)

Second cell was "five shooter", using 1 in. inner tube, 1.5 in. middle tube, and then 2 in. outer tube
                  inner 1 in. tube negative, middle 1.5 in. tube nuetral, outer 2 in. tube positive
                  Greatly increased gas production, thought I might be on to something.

Hooked up last night in the fashion described above and visual analogy was about twice any production I've accomplished to this point!

NOW.....seeing as how my tube spacing is at 1/4 inch (minus the thickness of a tube wall), I feel I need to close the gaps to 1/8 inch or less. I have SS tubing coming in today in diameter of 1.25 in. and 1.75 in. These tubes will slide in between the 1 in. and 1.5 in. tubes and also in between the 1.5 in. and 2 in. tubes. Runing these two new tubes as nuetral will decrease my amp draw and at the same time increase gas production (as demonstrated to me above). The spacing needed to be closer together anyway to obtain better production. I will post new pics as soon as I get the new tubes added. I have a digital camera that will shoot video, just no sound. I will probably need some advice from someone on how to get the videos uploaded, haven't had much luck with that in the past. Thanks again to everyone for helping out with advice and ideas, this is turning into an awesome venture!
                  Hi Jstadwater,

What's the news on your cell above? How is it performing with the neutral tube? Also curious to know what voltage drop you are seeing across each cell....

Definetly looks interesting...

Banshee

Comment

Working...
                  X