Hydrogen issues in motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrogen issues in motors

Two issues which have been a problem with burning hydrogen in any motor are the high heat which can do damage to the metal and the effect which hydrogen has on metal in general, causing it to become brittle.
    These are problems, but there is a solution and I have it.

I won't post my website, but if anyone would like more information just send me a PM.

Here is a document of interest on this topic:
    HYDROGEN-INDUCED, DELAYED, BRITTLE FAILURES
    OF HIGH-STRENGTH STEELS
    by
    A. R. Elsea and E. E. Fletcher
    to
    OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR OF DEFENSE
    RESEARCH AND ENGINEERING

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc...c=GetTRDoc.pdf

Excerpt:
    It has been shown that such failures depend directly on the hydrogen content of the steel, and the way in which the hydrogen gets into the steel is of no importance. Such failures do not occur if hydrogen is kept out of the steel or is removed before the steel is damaged permanently. Normally, the critical amount of hydrogen required to induce failure is not present at the sites where failure initiates, hydrogen must move to these sites, either as the result of a hydrogen-concentration gradient or a stress gradient.
    The former condition prevails when the steel is exposed to an environment which permits hydrogen to enter its surface. Stress gzadients that will cause hydrogen to move to regions of high tensile stress may result from bending or notches.
    Since this type of failure involves time for the diffusion of hydrogen, it occurs under low-strain-rate or static-load conditions. Crack propagation is not a continuous process, it has been shown to be a series of individual crack initiations and propagations.
    Both the incubation period and the propagation of the crack are controlled by the diffusion of hydrogen. However, the mechanism by which hydrogen reduces the ductility of steel and lowers its load-carrying ability still is not known.
    Last edited by shawn; 06-17-2010, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Your initial concern is real.

As example, the containment of H2 in a vessel is a cause for concern.

But what your missing is that the "way" you revert a material
      effected by what will lead to Hydrogen embrittlement IS HEAT.

You do realize that evey single ICE (Internal Combustion Engine)
      is exposed to this same hydrogen with all and every
      hydrocarbon vintage available (Gasoline/Diesel/propane/etc.).

It is the cost of doing hydrocarbon business...

Maybe, and I say this twice MAYBE
      the exaust valve might of concern.

The pistons and cylinder walls are safe.

Now in welding,
      this becomes an issue:

Google
      Last edited by WeThePeople; 06-17-2010, 07:51 AM.

Comment

The quantity of H2 in regular fuels as you mention is different than when one puts a hydrogen boost unit onto their motor, or uses pure hydrogen.
        Then the quantity goes up.
        H2 has been seen to have adverse effects on motors over time, due to its ability to embrittle metals.

Comment

Hydrogen will burn out valves after a period of time unless they are protected.

Comment

Working...
          X