Hydroxy foam_Sticky water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydroxy foam_Sticky water

I decided to start this thread in order to get ideas and maybe find the answers why there is foam in many electrolyzer cells.

This tube cell in the picture is powered from an alternator, have wound several alternators and tried different diode configurations and coils. This cell can make the foamy sticky water in all configurations. Adjusted current to 25ampere's.

The more I thought about it I was thinking it was hydroxy not fully split and the oxygen/hydrogen was still wanting to reattach.
    So this brings up questions.
    Lets say that a water atom gets electrolyzed and splits into its H2 and O but it does not fully convert could a electron in the H2 still be attached to the O?
    Or when the water splits into H2 and O can other O's try to attach to themselves?
    Maybe I'm not applying enough current?
    Looking at the foam and thinking about it why does it just sit in the water and not allow the gases to escape the water bath.
    It just sticks around!

I'm sure there are many of you that have had the same happenings and maybe there is an answer lurking about that could help with this problem.

Here's a picture of a cell with 3 tubes per cell totalling 7 triplets or 21 tubes.
    The xenon flash lamps were installed later for experimental purposes to test gas strength. Also a pic of what a single set hydroxy output looks like.
    When the cell is in front of you the foam appears over whelming and does also recirculate to the bottom of the tubes again.
    At this point I'm more interested in the half/split foam and see if it can be released from the water bath.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by adam_mizer; 09-26-2010, 08:58 PM. Reason: Additional picture

Well, I am not sure what electrolyte and if any you are using. If you using KOH or NaOH, then naturally a soap like substance will form if your water wont be pure, any grease or organic material in combination with strong alcalines will form soap. So to avoid foaming as much as possible, use distilled water and use very small gaps between electrodes, this will enable you to minimize the electrolyte concentration and this will also minimize the foaming problem. I learned this the hard way
    It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Comment

On that large one there was no electrolyte used.
      On others I have seen real foam issues from creating a never ending head growth on top. Then using the same electrolyte in another model there was no foam head to speak of.
      But the foam or bubbly substance (not fully split) stuff is in practically every cell and its unable to surface.
      Wondering if the water or electrolyte feed to each cell may have something to do with this foam (not fully split issue). Too much flow blowing out the unfinished not fully ionized gas.
      Funny I have seen pumps being used to force flow some cells.
      Also you pointed out the gaps between electrodes.
      So there may need to be a match of flow. Gap between electrode and water or electrolyte flow into gap.

Comment

Hey Adam, If u reverse polarity this scum will appear at bottom of cell and not hinder gas flow.

Comment

Your cell produces very small bubbles and many of them have a hard time reaching the surface. I have seen that also in some of my cells. But I don;t think it is a problem, since more and more bubbles are generated, eventually some of them will combine and make a bigger bubble, that can break the surface tension. One way to combine them into larger bubbles forcefully is to use an ultrasonic trancducer like those from pound foggers. The ultrasound will do the truck, nut it also eats a lot of electricity, so I don't think that the end result of the gas yield will be practical.
          It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Comment

Jetijs, thanks for the good reply.
            I was going to test with a small pond fogger the size used for a large bowl. The power consumption is minimal and may be worth trying. I'll have to measure the load.
            The other thought was I just started running a water pump and filter and it seems that although the water pump (12v) stated several ampere's (10) for max load it runs at 1.5Amp (18watts) while recirculating water and at 2Amp while running through a 1 micron filter in a housing. I know that once the filter starts clogging the pump load will rise but this may be good for quite a while at the low amperage.
            The filter and pump may be good for a dual purpose and also possibly can be used intermittently on this cell and others.

The other item I did not want to try was a chemical defoamer. Thats all I need another chemical.

I have not heard from other people on whether the water/electrolyte feed intake into the cell has a direct influence on the tiny bubbles.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_mizer View Post

The other item I did not want to try was a chemical defoamer. Thats all I need another chemical.

I have not heard from other people on whether the water/electrolyte feed intake into the cell has a direct influence on the tiny bubbles.
              Hi Adam-mizer
              HHO balls on youtube (I don't know his name here) used a chemical defoamer and said this solved his foaming completely.
              His was a "dry cell"
              I think the neoprene is getting dissolved by the KOH and making soap bubbles, myself, but since you are not using a dry cell with neoprene gaskets this would not be the case.

I am afraid I cannot help much. I just wanted to mention those 2 points.

Good luck, and please report what you find.

jeanna

Comment

Yes I have a dry cell with a huge foam problem and its not to do with the electrolyte completely. The gap is .055" and I do notice the gaskets are showing signs of ageing.

But this cell has a different plate configuration for the holes.
                Its quite interesting as it seems to make a substancial amout of gas but the foam head grows. I added the recirculating pump as it helped but this was not really the answer I'm looking for.

Yes I know defoaming chemicals work but again its another chemical to add.

Comment

Working...
                X