Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Voltage from a single piece of wire.
Collapse
X
-
That's interesting. Have you measured the resistance of the wire? My guess is there's iron in the wire and it's rusted in a couple places and the resistance has gone up between the iron oxide and iron. So you've got two dissimilar materials that then creates your voltage. If it reads 0 ohms, then I'm probably wrong...
-
I think you might be right. I'm trying to figure out where I got that test lead from, it was either Radio shack or Amazon.Originally posted by skaght View PostThat's interesting. Have you measured the resistance of the wire? My guess is there's iron in the wire and it's rusted in a couple places and the resistance has gone up between the iron oxide and iron. So you've got two dissimilar materials that then creates your voltage. If it reads 0 ohms, then I'm probably wrong...All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer
Comment
-
this would be the exact opposite of your wire effect. i have a static machine i have used for years and it after certain testing just went dead not a peep of voltage out of it my friend i told about this did the same as i did with his machine and it did the same thing
he found that by rubbing the machine down with a nylon stocking it came back to life.
i have not tried this yet as i don't have a nylon stocking.
i have been told this doesn't happen to static machines but it did.
as for your wire i don't know but it seems like an opposite reaction to me what and how may be the point for study. was there something you did with that wire before you noticed this effect say some odd circuit connection.
do other wires used this way do the same thing?
just some thoughts here.
Martin
Comment
-
Dont forget temperature,humidity,and certain non-conductive materiel's like plastic that create static charge. The range of a multimeter,flooring,types of shoes and various materials that are handled at the time will come into play. If the amount of electrons and protons in materials and its environment reach equilibrium you wont get much electron flow.
Comment
-
Try some hand made wire that attract to magnet. Besides galvanic effect, it could be normal Faraday induction cause by wire material. I think Tesla made a system that heats up material until its magnet property is lost and cool it down to regain attraction to magnet. The changing magnetic field gives energy. Can you also switch your meter to AC and see what's up?
Comment
-
it's the wire and the clips
Those seem to be the low budget crock clip leads those clips are iron and usually the wire itself also contains iron wire which has resistance issues.
I had some of those too and replaced all the wires with pure copper wire.
Check to see if the wire reacts to a magnet.
Comment
-
Using my same Innova 3300 meter, I haven't managed to replicate your experiment yet. But, my leads are different.
The clips come from Walmart, pack of 6 for $1.89 or similar and then I use ex PC power supply wires to go between. They are copper.
The clip lead ends are magnetic.
I'll see what wire around here is iron based and try it out further...kinda interested to see if a 20ft length with magnets along could indeed light an LED. All maybe helped by having an antenna property and then trialing antenna designs of different lengths.
Comment

Comment