This forum is preserved as a permanent archive. The community continues at eMedia Press.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capacitor discharge Bedini Charger

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Capacitor discharge Bedini Charger

    I have salvaged some photo transistors from some CRT monitors, PSUs, ect. So I have that part covered, only problem is I am having a hard time finding an SCR, I can not seem to find any in all of the "junk" electronics I collect for parts!

    I have found some TL431, would this be something I could use in place of an SCR? I don't have much money at the moment to spend on these things so I try to salvage all my parts from old electronics, problem is I have no idea in what I might find a suitable SCR to use for the Cap discharge circuit.

    Any help would be much appreciated!

    Right now I feel like this:

    Looking forward to some help if its there.

  • #2
    capacitor discharge circuit help

    Is there not anyone who could help me out with some alternatives for the capacitor discharge circuit I can use on the output of my Solid State Bedini setup???!

    There must be someone who can help me out here?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by InoTech3D View Post
      Is there not anyone who could help me out with some alternatives for the capacitor discharge circuit I can use on the output of my Solid State Bedini setup???!

      There must be someone who can help me out here?
      What the specs on it got be?
      SCR's at a reasonable current are pretty cheap. Its not part you find much anymore and mostly industrial use. AC motor controllers have them sometimes but they are BIG..

      Matt

      Comment


      • #4
        SCRs

        Thank you for replying. I actually ended up ordering 5 16 Amp 800 Volt SCRs, TYN816RG from mouser for like 0.51 cents a piece. I just got them yesterday, I also received new probes for my new oscilloscopes today, well there not new but new to me

        I got a BK Precision 30Mhz 2120B and a Tektronix TM515 with an 80Mhz oscilloscope module, an autoranging DMM module, and a 1.3Ghz Frequency Counter module all in one power supply case! I'm pumped, I've wanted an oscilloscope forever then one of my old bosses tells me he got some at a state auction and sells me those two for $50!! Then 4 100Mhz x1-x10 probes cost me about $40, so for the whole setup it was $90 spent which is not bad at all for what I got!

        Now I can experiment and have the tools to see whats going on in my circuits! My first order of business is to make a capacitor dump circuit I can just hook to the output of my other Bedini and Bedini like circuits I've built.
        Right now I'm into Solid State self oscillating circuits, I built one based on a reed switch but it burned the reed switch pretty quick in like one night so I had to make my own reed type swith with some heavier, stiffer wire and one of the contacts from a larger limit switch scavenged from an old microwave

        You should see my office area, boxes of old broken electronics but with a soldering iron and heat gun it saves me a lot of money! I love it!

        Comment


        • #5
          capacitor discharge circuit

          So I ordered all the parts I needed for the inverted cap pulser using a transistor and SCR, I wasn't very happy with it since the SCR Just latches and continues to conduct the whole time. I wanted off on off on. So then I tried it with the SCR First and then the transistor, I wasn't happy with that either!

          Finally what I ended up doing is wiring up 2 disposable camera caps with a 555 timer going to an opto transistor which feeds to a transistor that turns on and off a big MOSFET on the positive side which is dumping the caps the way I wanted.

          It took me a little while but I got it working how I want and it is helping charge my batteries better with my Solid state Bedini. I made the cap pulser a separate circuit I just hook the output from the SS BEDINI to and it has an output to the battery.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hey I know that you ordered some SCR's, but just for the people like me who haven't and want to know where to find them, I found mine inside of CPU PSU's. The ones I pulled are 600V though. Also found some 450V ones in some old Craftsman NiCd battery chargers. What are you using for your opto exactly? I don't have any of the H11's and would like to find an alternative that's going to work.

            Brian

            Comment

            Working...
            X