This forum is preserved as a permanent archive. The community continues at eMedia Press.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tesla microfilm letters

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 0136-0137-0138-0139-0140

    Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0136


    17 BATTERY PLACE
    New York


    June 17, 1918.


    Nikola Tesla, Esq.,
    The Blackstone,
    Chicago, Ill.

    Dear Mr. Tesla:

    I have just telegraphed briefly the result of Mr. Foster's efforts to have the De La Vergne cases adjourned, and enclose herewith a letter from him, which fully explains the state of affairs. Unfortunately the results so far are rather disappointing.

    Regarding the Lowenstein case, it would undoubtedly be best to assign this to the N.T. Co. Mr. Foster suggested the assignment of this claim, so that you might be protected against people who have judgments against you.

    In answer to your question concerning the Income Tax, it was necessary to pay this in order to avoid a penalty of 50% and other charges, and I have therefore made the payment for account of the Company.

    Hoping that you will soon recover completely from your injuries, I remain,

    Very truly yours,

    Geo. Scherff



    __________________________________________________ ______________

    Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0137


    COPY
    Chicago, June 16, 1918.


    Dear Mr. Scherff:

    Just a few lines to tell you that I have been steadily improving under the vigorous treatment and expect soon to be able to go to the factory in a carriage. There is every indication that my recovery will be complete although I may be handicapped for some time.

    The office has sent me a copy of a communication from the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics which is of the greatest importance inasmuch as it may lead to the adoption of my turbine. I wish I had all the records available to give complete information. Under the circumstances I shall have to rely on my memory.

    I am sorry that you have been again put to the inconvenience of making advances to the Company which I understand now aggregate $582.52/100. Of course I shall see that this is refunded as soon as practicable but at this writing I do not know when I shall be in the position to send check for deposit.

    In connection with my work for the Bureau of Steam Engineering I would call your attention to the N.Y.Times of June 13th containing a report to the effect that Marconi-DeForest suit has been deferred until after the war at the Navy's request. There is no reason why the same consideration should not be shown to me, only it will take some time owing to the slowness of Government machinery. I trust that the suits pending will go over the summer on the physician's affidavit but should there be a decision against us by default I could still effect an adjustment with the Cramps.

    I am looking with considerable interest to the next W.W.Co. Statement but have little hope that it will be satisfactory as I understand from Mr. May that they are now working on my mercury tachometer which is free of the limitation of the air drag instrument. Ultimately, it is certain, the results with this Company will be highly gratifying.

    With regards

    Sincerely,

    N. Tesla

    P.S. You did not say anything as yet as to whom Lowenstein claims should be assigned in new suit.


    __________________________________________________ ______________

    Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0138


    COPY
    Chicago, June 12, 1918.

    Tesla Company, Inc.
    8 West 40th Street,
    New York.

    Inclosed certificate from Dr. Harvey H. Snyder should be delivered to Mr. Scherff immediately upon receipt. If I find it possible I shall write more fully in time for same mail.

    (signed) N. T.



    __________________________________________________ ______________

    Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0139


    COPY
    June 12, 1918.


    Dear Mr. Scherff:

    I am writing with pencil as it seems to require less effort.

    A I wired yesterday I met with an accident Friday last causing some dislocation of bones and muscular strains in the hip region of the back. The pain is hard to bear but what distresses me more is the interruption of work which is as important in financial and every other respect. Once the manufacture of my machines is under way the Company will receive a large income sufficient to easily take care of everything. These people are turning out about one thousand of their old machines every month and this is only the headlight business. If we did not do anything else with them we would be doing well vut there are, as I told you before, much larger prospects. Beside I shall get some money on completion of the task and this is of vital moment to me just now.

    I have forwarded to the Bureau of Steam Engineering further information and am expecting an answer. There can be no doubt that I shall be given the required statement but when I cannot tell. I have mailed you the Doctor's certificate today which, I suppose, will accomplish the same purpose.

    The office has sent me a check for the Collector of Internal Revenue which I cannot very well sign now and I would be obliged to you will post me in regard to this matter.

    I must also depend on you to take care of the expenses then until I can get around. Your frequent assistance was valuable but I am sure you will feel satisfied.

    Regarding the new action against Lowenstein the attorney proposes an assignment of all claims to another party. Should it not be the n. T. Co. Or can you suggest some person in preference?

    Sincerely,

    N. Tesla.
    P.S. As soon as I am comfortable I shall write more fully.


    Mr. George Scherff, Esq.
    Tesla Company, Enc.
    8 West 40 Street, N.Y.


    __________________________________________________ ______________

    Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0140


    17 BATTERY PLACE
    New York


    June 12, 1918.


    Dear Mr. Tesla:

    Enclosed please find a letter just received from Mr. Foster. The correspondence he refers to is that Mr. Bergmann, of which Miss Skerritt also sent you a copy. I went over other records in your office, such as bills and invoices, but as I am not familiar with the case, I was unable to decide what would be useful to Mr. Foster and could therefore not furnish him any other material.

    I am telegraphing you that the affidavit from Washington should be in Mr. Foster's hands next Saturday, and I hope that you will succeed in obtaining the same.

    I obtained a copy of your patent on lighting and have read it with great interest. No doubt this means another new business development in the near future.

    Respectfully yours,

    Geo. Scherff


    Nikola Tesla, Esq.,
    The Blackstone,
    Chicago, Ill.

    __________________________________________________ ______________
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

    Comment


    • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 0141-0142-0143-0145

      Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0141


      David Bernstein
      Attorney and Counsellor at Law
      261 Broadway
      5037
      Telephone 5038 Barclay New York
      5039

      June 8th, 1918

      In re: Foster v. Tesla Co., Inc.

      George Scherff, Esq.,
      17 Battery Place,
      New York City.

      Dear Sir:

      I beg to acknowledge receipt of check from you for account of Tesla Co., Inc., for the sum of $75.

      In accordance with our understanding, the $75. received by me covers services rendered in the preparation and service of the answer and for the application of a bill of particulars, and nothing else.

      Yours very truly,

      (Signed) David Bernstein


      __________________________________________________ _____________


      Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0142


      17 BATTERY PLACE
      New York


      June 6, 1918.


      Dear Mr. Tesla:

      I received this morning your telegram in reference to the second action against Lowenstein and have replied by telegraph, that Mr. Foster is preparing the papers in the case and will mail them to you direct for signature. I have furnished him with the dates of loans made by you to Mr. Lowenstein, which I obtained from your office, and have suggested to Mr. Foster that he name $50,000. as a claim for your services.

      Concerning the matter of reopening the De Lavergne cases in the event of default, Mr. Foster informed me that this could be done, but good cause must be shown for your non-appearance at the trial, as a statement of the kind you are trying to obtain from Washington. The reopening of the cases would involved an expense of about $150.00 for each case.

      Respectfully yours,
      Geo. Scherff


      Nikola Tesla, Esq.,
      The Blackstone,
      Chicago, Ill.


      __________________________________________________ _____________


      Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0143


      17 BATTERY PLACE
      New York


      June 5, 1918.


      Dear Mr. Tesla:

      I have just received your telegram in reference to bringing suit against Lowenstein for money advanced by you and for personal services, and have requested you by telegraph to state the amount you wish to name for your services and have also asked Miss Skerritt to prepare a statement of sums advanced, as shown by the canceled checks. As I have informed you, Mr. Foster thought that such a suit would not be of any help in the pending actions, as it would not reach the trial for probably a year. He also thinks that he can secure an adjournment of the Lowenstein cases until fall; he does not consider it likely that such postponement will be so strenuously opposed as in the De Lavergne cases. However, he says it is an easy matter to serve a summons, and I shall ask him to proceed as soon as I have necessary data to submit to him.

      I enclose copy of letter just received from Mr. Foster concerning the De Lavergne cases. I have requested Miss Skerritt to prepare such of the documents asked for as are available in your office, but shall not turn them over to Mr. Foster until I receive your authority to do so. Mr. Foster wishes me to say to you, if you wish to go with the trial, it would be necessary for you to be here not later than June 10th, in order to prepare. I trust that you will be successful in securing that important document from Washington.

      Respectfully yours,

      Geo. Scherff


      __________________________________________________ _____________


      Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0145


      June 5, 1918


      Dear Mr. Scherff:

      The signed checks of the Tesla Company, Inc. Came to hand this afternoon.

      Please find enclosed list of checks drawn to Mr. Lowenstein's order and copy of telegrams received from and forwarded to Mr. Tesla today.

      I am also enclosing copy of Mr. Tesla patent #1266175 on Lightning Protector which might like to peruse.

      Respectfully,


      3 Enc.


      George Scherff, Esq.,
      17 Battery Place,
      City.

      __________________________________________________ _____________
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

      Comment


      • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 0146-0147-0148-0149-0150

        Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0146


        CHECKS DRAWN TO MR. LOWENSTEIN'S ORDER



        #184 Oct. 29, 1910 $69.76

        186 Oct. 29, 1910 80.00

        94 Feb. 4, 1911 100.00

        43 Mar. 18, 1911 18.50

        95 Apr. 6, 1911 2.00

        20 Apr.28, 1911 100.00

        172 May 9, 1911 6.00

        233 June 6, 1911 150.00

        326 July 21, 1911 100.00

        819 Nov. 20, 1912 40.00

        253 Aug. 1, 1913 200.00

        279 Aug. 8, 1915 12.88

        $ 879.14


        __________________________________________________ ________

        Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0147


        June 5, 1918


        George Scherff, Esq.,
        17 Battery Place,
        City.

        Dear Mr. Scherff:

        Please find enclosed check for $25. which is due to you for the month of June.

        Respectfully,


        Enc.


        __________________________________________________ ________

        Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0148


        June 5, 1918


        George Scherff, Esq.,
        17 Battery Place,
        City.

        Dear Mr. Scherff:

        Please find enclosed check for $25. which is due to you for the month of June.

        Respectfully,


        Enc.


        __________________________________________________ ________

        Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0149


        June 3, 1918


        George Scherff, Esq.,
        17 Battery Place,
        City.

        Dear Mr. Scherff:

        I am forwarding under this cover check for $270. and $136. in each case to reimburse you for money advanced to date.

        Letter of acknowledgment to the Pyle-National Company is also enclosed for your signature.

        Copy of telegram received from Mr. Tesla on Saturday evening is attached.

        Will you kindly deliver signed checks of the Tesla Company, Inc. To Miss Drews.

        Respectfully,


        4 Enc.


        __________________________________________________ ________

        Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0150


        17 BATTERY PLACE
        New York


        June 3, 1918.


        Dear Mr. Tesla:

        I have just telegraph you, that Mr. Foster has secured an adjournment of the De Lavergne cases until June 17th, and enclose his letter of this date containing advice to this effect.

        While this is only a brief respite, it may be sufficient to enable you to secure the document from Washington, which is necessary to secure further postponement, or to make some arrangement through the Cramp Shipbuilding Co.

        I informed Mr. Foster that you were endeavoring to obtain an affidavit from Washington. He said that he would inform the Court, and it is likely that on the strength of this statement the short delay was granted.

        Respectfully yours,

        Geo. Scherff


        Enc.


        Nikola Tesla, Esq.,
        The Blackstone,
        Chicago, Ill.


        __________________________________________________ ________
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

        Comment


        • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

          Comment


          • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

            Comment


            • Well.... so much for the already faint hopes that I would keep up with you....

              Just finished copying your work and I am surprised that some pages seem to have so much text, that I can barely fit it on one page.
              I hope soon I will find some time to do some of the formatting and QA.

              Thanks again!

              Ernst.

              Comment


              • Hi Ernst,

                I'm stuck again in limbo since yesterday. I can't post any new transcription, preview and submit reply send me to a blank page and nothing gets by. Every few hours I try but so far no go. I can only do short posts.

                Lucky I did a few to keep you busy.

                Yes some of the texts seem to be getting longer but I'm about half done in the second Scherff folder.

                Take care,

                Michel
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                Comment


                • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 0167-0168-0169-0170

                  Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0167


                  COPY


                  Chicago, May 18, 1918.


                  Dear Mr. Scherff:

                  I am returning paper under enclosure. As I wired yesterday I am in accord with you regarding the attorney. A minister's son is not well fitted to grapple with such a man as Mr. Foster.

                  My opinion is now that Mr. Foster means the Wait claim which has been assigned to him and he is endeavoring to make the T. C. I. Responsible. I may have unknowingly signed some paper on which on which he bases the action but in that case a copy should be on hand. Besides I doubt that such a document would have any validity. Your lawyer should delay the case as much as consistent with decent practice so as to give us time to prepare for an evidently vicious attack. I feel certain that Mr. Foster has not rendered services to the T. C. I. And am confident that I have not committed the Company in any way.

                  I am now perfecting a deal with the Chicago Pneumatic Tools Co. Their manager and treasurer, Mr. Pressinger is an old friend of mine. They are anxious to get a good turbo-blower and I think that mine and I think that mine is superior to anything in that line. My plan is to construct quickly a small one just to demonstrate to them the possibilities and then enter into a broader agreement. All the details of the turbine and blower have been already developed by me and it would take no more than two weeks to construct one at their extensive works. If I succeed in this it will be a more lucrative business than that with the P.N. The Government requires such small turbo-blowers in great number.

                  Will write you as soon as I have something definite to say.

                  Sincerely,

                  (signed) N. Tesla.

                  Geo. Scherff, Esq,
                  8 West 40th Street,
                  N.Y.

                  __________________________________________________ ________________
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                  Comment


                  • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0168


                    17 BATTERY PLACE
                    New York


                    Chicago, May 15, 1918.


                    Dear Mr. Tesla:

                    Your letter of May 12th in reference to the action of Mr. Foster reached me last night.

                    I have looked over the records in the office and find that the last bill of Mr. Foster, dated Dec. 31, 1917, and amounting to a little over sixteen hundred dollars, was rendered to Tesla Company, Inc. And Nikola Tesla Company, but I find in it not a single item which has any connection with the business of Tesla Company, Inc. It seems to me, that a complete denial of the charges would be in order. I count among my acquaintance only 2 lawyers, one named Philipbar, who is a minister's son and an honest fellow, the other is named Bernstein, who handled the case in my son's business not long ago. I believe the Jew is the better lawyer of the two; which one shall I select? Of course, I am acquainted with the Sulphur Company's attorneys, but they are the most expensive in the land.

                    Will you kindly return the summons and complaint of Mr. Foster to me and upon receipt of these documents I shall take the matter up immediately.

                    Respectfully yours,

                    Geo. Scherff

                    Nikola Tesla, Esq.,
                    The Blackstone,
                    Chicago, Ill.

                    __________________________________________________ ________________
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                    Comment


                    • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0169

                      Orig. To Mr. Scherff. 5/14

                      LETTER RECEIVED FROM MR. TESLA AND FORWARDED TO MR. SCHERFF


                      Chicago, May 12, 1918.


                      My dear Mr. Scherff:

                      Matters here were so pressing that I was unable to write to you before this in regard to that action of Mr. Fisher. I can not understand it but I do view it as a breach of faith and distinctly unprofessional.

                      That he has not rendered the service for which he asks payment I am sure, nor has he ever presented a bill of that kind so far as I know. It is possible that I have committed myself unknowingly in some ways, but even in this case, I should think the document would be invalid. I could not have done so important a thing without conferring with you and bringing it before the directors and all he can do is to hold me personally to account.

                      I hope you can secure the services of a lawyer of your acquaintance to handle the case for a moderate charge. As the first step his policy should be to delay action until I return. Later he should ask for a bill of particulars.

                      Mr. Foster holds some judgment originally claimed by Mr. Wait for services and I wonder he has involved the company by some trick or other to pay for these.

                      Please let me know what you can do about taking care of the case so that an answer may be filed in time.

                      Yours sincerely,

                      N. Tesla


                      __________________________________________________ ________________
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                      Comment


                      • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0170


                        May 15, 1918.


                        Dear Mr. Scherff:

                        Please find attached statement of total expenses charged to the Pyle-National Company and payments made by them.

                        I received a letter this morning from the Commissioner of Internal Revenue requesting answers to several questions in regard to the Income Tax Return, copy of which I enclose.

                        Very respectfully,

                        2 Enc.

                        George Scherff, Esq.,
                        17 Battery Place,
                        City.

                        __________________________________________________ ________________
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                        Comment


                        • 2,500.00 9,500.00

                          March 31, Balance due $4,470.28


                          __________________________________________________ ___________
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                          Comment


                          • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0172


                            May 9th, 1918


                            Dear Mr. Scherff:

                            Please find enclosed checks in the amounts of $25. and $395., the former of which is due to you for the month of May and the latter, to reimburse you for cash advanced.

                            I am also forwarding under this cover letter to the Pyle-National Company to be signed by you, and fifteen blank checks of the Tesla Co. Inc. Which require your signature.

                            With kindest regards and hoping that your daughter's health is rapidly improving, I remain,

                            Respectfully,


                            17 Enc.

                            George Scherff, Esq.,
                            17 Battery Place,
                            City.


                            __________________________________________________ ___________
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                            Comment


                            • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0173


                              May 9, 1918


                              Dear Mr. Scherff:

                              Under inclosure please find check for $25. which is due you for the month of May.

                              Respectfully,


                              Enc.

                              George Scherff, Esq.,
                              17 Battery Place,
                              City.


                              __________________________________________________ ___________
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                              Comment


                              • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0174


                                17 BATTERY PLACE
                                New York


                                May 7, 1918.

                                Nikola Tesla, Esq.,
                                The Blackstone,
                                Chicago, Ill.

                                Dear Mr. Tesla:

                                The enclosed summons in a complaint by Mr. Foster has just been served on me. As far as I am aware, Mr. Foster has rendered no services whatever to Tesla Company, Inc., against whom the complaint is made, but to you personally and to the Nikola Tesla Company. Is there anything that I can do in this matter?

                                I was very sorry to hear of your illness and hope that you have now completely recovered, also that your work there is progressing satisfactorily.

                                Respectfully yours,

                                Geo. Scherff


                                __________________________________________________ ___________
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X