This forum is preserved as a permanent archive. The community continues at eMedia Press.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tesla microfilm letters

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0175


    COPY


    May 1, 1918.


    My dear Mr. Scherff:

    I have already thanked you by wire for your kind letter with inclosures and would have written before had I not been prostrated by what threatened to be food-poisoning. I am now fully recovered and am pushing the work here to conclusion.

    My confidence in the plan of transmitting signals I explained to you several times is absolute and on my return I shall take the necessary steps for protection and also offer the invention to the Government. The idea is of tremendous importance just now and its success means that the whole globe can be rendered transparent.

    If anybody had told me that I would stay nine months in Chicago developing inventions which seemed perfect before I left New York I would not have believe it. But as we advance we recognize the crudity of our first conceptions. New problems presented themselves which had to be solved and they were so hard that they consumed about all the energy I could command. Finally, however all obstacles have been vanquished and I am looking to a speedy return.

    I am most anxious to eliminate the outlays which have been such a drawback during my stay here but could not be avoided. I had to pay men, buy materials and such personal expenses. My understanding with the leading men of the P.N.Co., is that an adjustment fair to myself and my company will be made as soon as the task is completed and I have no doubt that such will be done within the next week or so.

    They are awfully busy people, hustlers who are away most of the time and that is the reason why my communications on the financial relations were often belated. At this moment I do not know whether it will be possible for me to be on time and I am worried about office requirements for Saturday next. I shall be greatly obliged if you can assist as before to avoid a keen disappointment to me. Should the parties with whom I am dealing return tomorrow as I hope I shall wire you promptly.

    I am having my patent on lightning protectors issued and will immediately see that an agreement proposed a year ago is carried out. Another patent on my mercury tachometer is secured which will put us in a better position with the W. W. Co. I expect to see them on my way to New York with reference to this and our royalties. I think that I can make them consent to a minimum royalty guaranty. I have another very good business proposition with an important concern nearly completed.

    Until we meet, I remain,

    Sincerely yours,

    (Signed) N. Tesla


    __________________________________________________ _______
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

    Comment


    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

      Comment


      • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 0181-0182-0183-0184-0185

        Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0181


        March 14, 1918.


        Dear Mr. Scherff:

        Inclosed please find tax reports signed as requested.

        Have no time to write only to tell you that we are hard at work to deliver first machine within ten days.

        See you soon,

        With regards,

        Sincerely,

        (Signed) N. Tesla


        __________________________________________________ ________________

        Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0182


        March 15, 1918.


        Dear Mr. Scherff:

        Under enclosure please find letter received this morning from Mr. Tesla.

        Very respectfully,


        Enc.

        George Scherff, Esq.,
        17 Battery Place,
        City.

        __________________________________________________ ________________


        Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0183


        COPY

        March 11, 1918.


        Dear Mr. Scherff:

        Your letter of the 9th inst. With enclosure just received. The letter has interested me greatly, of course; also given me some regret that I have not accomplished more. However, the present prospects are very bright and am confifdent that your next statement will be quite different. Needless to say that I am very much obliged to you for your painstaking care.

        I am working day and night and have neither energy or time left for correspondence; otherwise you would have heard from me oftener.

        There is an order for five thousand machines which we hope to get after Government experts have examined my device, which may be within the next few days. You will understand also that there are still more important reasons for me to have all my energies on the present task. I may get through any day and can tell you that I am just aching for New York and friendly faces.

        Assuring you that I was very glad indeed to know your daughter's improved condition. I remain,

        Yours sincerely,

        (Signed) N. Tesla

        George Scherff, Esq.,
        17 Battery Place,
        City.

        __________________________________________________ ________________


        Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0184


        March 15, 1918.


        Dear Mr. Scherff:

        I am forwarding under enclosure the Corporation Excess Profits and Corporation Income Tax Returns, with Schedule of Patents owned by the Company and Balance Sheets for the beginning and close of the year 1917 attached to the former in accordance with your request.

        For your information, I have typed the Trial Balance of Dec. 31, 1916 on a separate sheet and show thereon how I arrived at the figures on the Balance Sheet for the year beginning 1917.

        Trusting that you will find the reports to be correct, I remain,

        Respectfully yours,


        3 Enc.

        George Scherff, Esq.,
        17 Battery Place,
        City.

        __________________________________________________ _______________


        Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0185


        ***************needs to be done with tables******************


        __________________________________________________ ________________
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

        Comment


        • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 0186-0187-0188-0189-0190

          Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0186


          March 11, 1918.


          Dear Mr. Scherff:

          Please find enclosed Corporation Income Tax Return for the year ended December 31, 1917.

          Respectfully yours,


          1 Enclosure


          George Scherff, Esq.,
          17 Battery Place,
          City.

          __________________________________________________ ___________

          Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0187


          17 BATTERY PLACE
          New York


          March 13, 1918.


          Nikola Tesla, Esq.,
          The Blackstone,
          Chicago, Ill.

          Dear Mr. Tesla:

          Supplementing my letter of March 9th, I enclose for your signature Income Tax and Excess Profits Tax Returns of Tesla Company, Inc., and Nikola Tesla Company.

          The tax of the Tesla Company, Inc., amounts to $237.52, which is payable on or before June 15th. The amount is high, but everybody is suffering the same way. The Nikola Tesla Company, of course, will pay no tax, but the report must be made. If you will sign the reports and return them to me, I think I can have them attested by notary in your building, who knows your signature.

          Hoping that your work is progressing to your satisfaction and that I shall see you soon, I remain,

          Respectfully yours,

          Geo. Scherff

          __________________________________________________ ___________

          Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0188


          March 9, 1918.


          Dear Mr. Scherff:

          I beg to submit herewith the Balance Sheet and Income Statement of the Tesla Co. Inc. For the year ended December 31, 1917 which will no doubt be of interest to you.

          In the Income Statement you will note a charge for depreciation of patents amounting to $7,941.18 which amount represents one seventeenth of $135,000., the cost of the patents. The setting up of this charge, of course, does not mean that the patents have become less valuable but, on the contrary, in reality they appreciate in value as your inventions are developed. The reason for making the entry is that it will save the Company something over $700. in Income and Excess Profits Tax. The law permits a charge of this nature to be deducted as an expense from the income but the charge must be set up on the books and under these circumstances I have no doubt that this action will be satisfactory to you.

          I am preparing the Income Tax and Excess Profits Tax Returns which must be filed this month and shall forward them to you for signature within the next few days.

          I was very glad to receive your letter of March 3d and to learn of the progress you have made. My daughter was seriously ill but I believe she is now out of danger and she seems to be gaining though very slowly.

          Respectfully yours,

          Geo. Scherff

          Nikola Tesla, Esq.,
          The Blackstone,
          Chicago, Ill.



          Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0189


          ***************needs to be done with tables******************

          __________________________________________________ ___________

          Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0190


          March 5, 1918.


          Dear Mr. Scherff:
          Under enclosure please find letter from Mr. Tesla.

          Respectfully,



          George Scherff, Esq.,
          17 Battery Place,
          City.


          __________________________________________________ ___________
          Attached Files
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

          Comment


          • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 0191-0192-0193-0194-0195

            Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0191


            COPY

            March 3, 1918.


            Dear Mr. Scherff:

            For the past few weeks I have tried to drop you a few lines but the pressure of work was too great.

            This is to tell you that further and great progress was achieved since my last communication. I have run the machine successfully with loads of over eleven hundred watt and people here are perfectly wild about getting into the market. Three of our propositions are merely waiting the formalities of execution while the fourth, relating to Canada and Mexico, is a little in doubt. Our friends claim that business there is not sufficient to warrant the payment of the minimum royalties demanded. I have therefore proposed to them to extend the rights so as to include general lighting and they are considering the matter, also the subject of my compensation.

            As you will see, this and our business with the Waltham Watch Co. Should make the T. Co. Inc. Safe and secure of a liberal annual income. The last report of the W. W. Co. Was disappointing but there was a reason for it and I believe that the ultimate results will be very gratifying to us.

            Hoping to see you very soon, I remain,

            Sincerely yours,

            N. Tesla

            Mr. George Scherff,
            8 West 40th Street,
            N.Y.

            __________________________________________________ _______________

            Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0192


            February 20, 1918.


            Dear Mr. Scherff:

            Under enclosure please find trial balance of the Tesla Company, Inc. And the statements which you asked to have prepared for you.

            You will note that the laboratory and administrative expenses decreased considerably in the December trial balance and the difference, therefore, is really a gain instead of a loss. We have figured it so on the statement.

            I have received extra copies of the State Tax and new blanks for the Income Tax Reports.

            Very respectfully,

            8 Enc,

            George Scherff, Esq.,
            17 Battery Place,
            City.

            __________________________________________________ _______________

            Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0193


            February 18, 1918.


            Dear Mr. Scherff:

            Under enclosure please find letter addressed to the Pyle-National Company which I am forwarding to you for signature.

            Respectfully,


            Enc.

            George Scherff, Esq.,
            17 Battery Place,
            City.

            __________________________________________________ _______________

            Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0194


            February 13, 1918.


            George Scherff, Esq.,
            17 Battery Place,
            City.

            Dear Mr. Scherff:

            Under enclosure please find letter to the Pyle-National Company which I am forwarding for signature.

            I will comply with your request and mail you copies of tax reports tomorrow.

            Very respectfully,


            Enc.

            __________________________________________________ _______________

            Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0195


            17 BATTERY PLACE
            New York


            Feb. 13, 1918.


            Nikola Tesla, Esq.,
            The Blackstone,
            Chicago, Ill.

            Dear Mr. Tesla:

            I received your letter of Feb. 10Th, and on Saturday, while at your office, I also received your telegram containing the news of a successful test with a one kilowatt machine. The prospect of doing such a large business through the Pyle-National Company, as stated in your letter must be highly gratifying to you after your strenuous work. Also the P.N. Co. Is to be congratulated on obtaining the rights to your invention.

            I am looking forward with great pleasure to seeing you again soon, and remain,

            Respectfully yours,

            Geo. Scherff

            __________________________________________________ _______________
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

            Comment


            • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 0196-0197

              Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0196


              COPY

              Chicago, Ill., Feb. 10, 1918.


              Dear Mr. Scherff:

              Just a few words in a hurry to explain to you why I am sticking here at the sacrifice of all other interests.

              The fact is I have developed a big proposition. To state briefly my machine will save in coal and service alone about 100 dollars and taking into consideration transport closely on five hundred dollars per annum. This makes for 50,000 machines already installed twenty five million dollars per year. As you see it is an important consideration for R. R. At the moment when economy is the keynote. I think that our business friends are now convinced of the soundness of my views and will act accordingly.

              The lighting possibilities in other fields are now being investigated. At their request I have dictated the enclosed to facilitate the work of their commercial department. I have no doubt whatever that they will take advantage of this rare opportunity. If so they will probably manufacture five thousands machines a month.

              I am naturally very anxious about the Government work I have undertaken as I know that I can render great services just now. But people in Washington may not understand that I must first get the money to carry out my projects.

              The work on details of manufacture keeps me still busy and it is difficult to say how soon I shall be free. It looks though another week should see me through.

              Yours sincerely,

              George Scherff, Esq.,
              Tesla Company, Inc.,
              8 West 40 Street
              N.Y.

              P/S- Please instruct Miss Skerritt that the last $2,000. forwarded should be charged to our expense account.

              __________________________________________________ __________________

              Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0197

              For file
              Feb. 9, 1918.


              A LIGHTING MACHINE ON NOVEL PRINCIPLES.

              A machine built on novel and original lines is about to be placed on the market. It is the result of several years of labor of a well known engineer and designer, whose inventions are being applied all over the world on a gigantic scale. It is admirably adapted for purposes of electric lighting and should find an extensive use. Those who have seen it in operation consider it a wonderful piece of mechanism.

              The new lighting outfit which can be worked by steam, air, or any other gas under pressure, is intended to meet the pressing necessities in this field. It is entirely free from the objections of older types, more economical, surprisingly small and compact, and possesses, besides, unique features which render it ever so much more valuable.

              It consists of a turbine and electric generator, both embodying basically new principles in construction as well as operation, and intimately associated to constitute a unit. The former has been pronounced revolutionary in its design and performance. It is simplicity itself, being devoid of buckets, deflecting blades, guide passages, vanes and the like, and presents many other decisive advantages over the ordinary prime movers.

              In the first place there is no windage, which is the cause of a most serious loss of power in bucket turbines, often amounting to a large percentage of the integral mechanical effort. What is still more important, the new turbine is capable of taking up the whole velocity of the motive fluid in one continuous ...

              __________________________________________________ ________________
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

              Comment


              • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                Comment


                • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                  Comment


                  • I have uploaded a new pdf with the Scherff (2) letters.
                    I have copied all the work up to this point but had only time to format and check the first 20 letters.


                    Ernst.

                    Comment


                    • Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 0202-0203-0204-0205

                      Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0202


                      17 BATTERY PLACE
                      New York


                      Jan. 11, 1918.


                      Nikola Tesla, Esq.,
                      The Blackstone,
                      Chicago, Ill.

                      Dear Mr. Tesla:

                      Supplementing my letter of yesterday, I am sending you enclosed herewith the special report of Dun's agency on the United States Machine Mfg. Company, which speaks for itself. The concern, you will observe, is a new one, and not at all strong financially. I am sure that you can find much better opportunities for the business with which they have approached you.

                      Your office has just communicated to me your telegram of to-day and I am delighted, indeed, to learn that your test has been so successful.

                      Respectfully yours,

                      Geo. Scherff


                      __________________________________________________ ______________

                      Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0203


                      COPY

                      U. S. MACHINE MFG. CO.
                      Manufacturers and Jobbers of
                      Machinery and Supplies
                      141-155 E. 25th Street

                      New York, January fifth, 1918.


                      Nikola Tesla, Esq.,
                      Room 2006, 8 West 40th Street,
                      New York City.

                      Dear Sir:

                      The United States Machine Manufacturing Co. Is contemplating the building of a mammoth aeroplane and we are considering the possibilities of using your turbine.

                      The tremendous difficulties which have to be met with in such an undertaking necessitates our seeking all co-operation obtainable. Therefore, we as if you have any suggestions and ideas to offer? Let us assure you that any assistance of this kind from you will be most heartily appreciated by us.

                      Trusting to hear from you shortly, we remain,

                      Yours very truly,

                      UNITED STATES MACHINE MANUFACTURING COMPANY

                      (signed) Herbert M. Hill
                      Manager

                      HMH/DH


                      __________________________________________________ ______________

                      Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0204


                      Jan. 18, 1918


                      Dear Mr. Scherff:

                      Confirming telephone conversation of even date, I am forwarding under enclosure letter of acknowledgment to the Waltham Watch Company to be signed by you.

                      Very respectfully,


                      Enc.

                      George Scherff, Esq.,
                      17 Battery Place,
                      City.


                      __________________________________________________ ______________

                      Tesla Correspondence Scherff 2 #0205


                      17 BATTERY PLACE
                      New York


                      Jan. 9, 1918.


                      Nikola Tesla, Esq.,
                      The Blackstone,
                      Chicago, Ill.

                      Dear Mr. Tesla:

                      Your office just communicated to me your telegraphic request that I write you about the United States Machine Manufacturing Co. I assume that you wish to know something about their financial standing, and upon looking them up in Dun's I find them rated as “3”, which means that they are in fair credit standing, but no indication of their financial worth is given. This does not look very well. I have written to Dun's for a special report on the above concern, and as soon as the same comes to hand I shall communicate further with you on the subject.

                      Respectfully yours,

                      Geo. Scherff


                      __________________________________________________ ______________


                      Thanks Ernst, looks great so far. I'm slowing down a little as I have a few things that needs to be done here.

                      Take care,

                      Michel
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                      Comment


                      • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                        Comment


                        • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                          Comment


                          • I downloaded a new gothic font for the Waldorf letterhead. See page 26.
                            I will copy it into the Scherff (1) files too, if I can find the time.

                            Yes, those telegrams will speed things up for me too.
                            I'll have to make a lay out and then just copy the one or two lines in.


                            Ernst.

                            Comment


                            • Hi Ernst,

                              That's very nice, somewhat like the original but I can read this and a user can always change the fonts for a different set with LibreOffice Draw, Acrobat, Calibre or which ever PDF Editor he prefers.

                              Once formatted, the archive looks totally awesome.

                              We will hit 1,000 + when Scherff 2 is done.

                              Use different fonts for different protagonist's handwriting; the brain will process the handwritings, identify those involved and make it an enticing read. Something like "Reality TV Show" 1910's style.

                              Can you add the fonts, that you are using during the formating, in a folder of the compressed archive. If they are copyright free.


                              Take care,

                              Michel
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                              Comment


                              • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X