Originally posted by Sephiroth
View Post
No I am using MJ15022s and they are quite expensive. But I am using #15 wire for my coils which are also like Tesla bifilar, I think that too much power is being generated by the coils and this makes my neons not be able to handle it. I think that using a big 36V zener diode may protect my transistors, actually I had used some zeners, but the zeners burnt out! I guess I should use a zener with higher amp ratings.

aw, that sucks.... those are a bit more pricy.... so your bulbs were glowing at full bightness? what was the amp draw?
so that would be about 200ma per transistor. if your set up is using 2 transistors then that would be around 500ma per transistor... I'm not saying the amps are frying them since those transistors should easily be able to handle that amount of "power", but it could be generating alot more spike pressure (a term I just made up, sorry
Comment